PDA

View Full Version : z400 ran great then shut off...

gsxrkneedragger
12-28-2008, 05:30 PM
i was out riding today for only like 15 min. i was in a field that was really wet, mostly just water. not even mud. i was only in there for like 10 min and then went out on the road and was messing around riding slow wheelies. i just happen to pull into the driveway when it shut off. i tried starting it again but got nothing. it would turn over great, but not stay running. i tried the choke on and off, giving some throttle, etc. it would backfire really loud occasionally so i took it in the garage to see if i fouled a plug and pulled the plug out and it was black. i put it against the frame and still had a good spark. put it back in and still wouldn't start. any ideas? i did have a little bit of water in my air box along with a few blades of grass. would that have caused this? any help would be great. i'm going tomorrow to get a new plug but other than that any suggestions? thanks in advance.

bryishre
12-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Sunds like you got a lil water in the carb. But try this first. Take your spark plug cap off and leave the spark plug in. Pour some water were the spark plug is.Get a air gun and shoot air through the weep hole. should clean it out if clooged.

I have a Kfx and the weep hole was clogged with dirt i didnt know it till i started racing with it and we went through creeks and stuff when it was dry it was fine but when it got wet it would stall out and not run till it was dry.

gsxrkneedragger
12-29-2008, 02:48 PM
i just tried to change the plug and i didn't have any spark, then i did, then didn't again its like intermintent(sp). i drained the float bowl out i was thinking water in the carb too, but still nothing. it almost seems like sometimes it wants to start but doesn't. all the connections seem good. any other ideas. thanks bryishre for the help. got any other sugestions?

bryishre
12-29-2008, 03:37 PM
valve adjustment maybe? Sorry i couldnt help. Good luck