PDA

View Full Version : Removing the steering stem.

Stoke88
12-28-2008, 05:02 PM
I have a Lonestar steering stem on my wheeler now but want to sell that to get a +2 stem. I have everything off the bars and everything else unbolted but the stem still won't come out. How do I get the stem out? It moves a tiny bit up and down but just doesn't want to come out. Any suggestions are appreciated.

mooseracerX
12-28-2008, 05:56 PM
So you took the top, bottom mounts and tie rods off and it still doesn't come out? Try hitting it up with a rubber mallet.

lilyamaharacer4
12-29-2008, 10:46 AM
My buddys frame had the same problem we had it down to just the frame so we turned it on its side used to zep 45 and hit it with a deadblow. Came out slowly but surely.

buck440
12-29-2008, 10:56 AM
i have the same problem:rolleyes:

exrider272
12-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by lilyamaharacer4
My buddys frame had the same problem we had it down to just the frame so we turned it on its side used to zep 45 and hit it with a deadblow. Came out slowly but surely.

lol i had to hammer it out with the hammer.. and had to hammer it back in with the hammer.... at least i dont gota worrie about it comin out :ermm:

Honda#4
12-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Dumb question, but is the nut on the bottom of the stem off? It should'nt take a hammer to get the stem off unless the stem lacks grease.

exrider272
12-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Dumb question, but is the nut on the bottom of the stem off? It should'nt take a hammer to get the stem off unless the stem lacks grease.

yah.. i had everything off.. the bearing was only in there a year... then i got the lsr stem.. the stock one went in and out easy and so did the lsr.. so i replaced the bearing and seals before i put it back in and still had to hammer it down in... it was just a tight fit.lol

Stoke88
12-29-2008, 08:30 PM
The nut is off my stem too and it still won't budge. I'll give a rubber mallet a try and see what that does. I just don't see why its so hard to get out. Should I replace the bearings when I do get the stem out even if I don't damage them?

12-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Mine was stuck to and what I dud was twisted the bolt half off and then punded on it with a normal hammor and it came loose. Did the same thing with my ball joints. Bearings only need to be replaced when their wore. If their dry put grease on them.