PDA

View Full Version : new quad for the boy.

redonkulousruntsracing
12-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi again. I'm getting excited about getting my son his new quad. I am getting a 09 DRR 50 liquid cooled. My question is this, he is 5 now and I plan on taking him to an ATVA National race next season. I want to mod up his new quad as much as I can, but I need to go by ATVA's guideline, cuz it wouldn't do me much good if he couldn't run it at the ATVA race. That's the reason for the upgrade in machine. I wanted to get him an Apex MXR LT 50 but I was told that it would'n't be ATVA legal. I want to change the wheels and tires, carb, tune the clutch and cylinder head. What do you all think.

hotquads1
12-29-2008, 08:16 AM
study the ATVA rules well and dont forget to read the supplemental rules and changes. This class is a stickler for the rules .
most common mods in this class are ;
alum wheels
nerf bars
clutch mods
sproket change
porting stock cyl and modify stock head
jetting carb (carb cannot be replaced)
adding quality tether switch
handlebar and grip upgrade
uni filter and outerwares
alum frnt bumper
this year changing to aftermarket shocks may be approved.
hope this helps, if you have any particular questions just ask.
marc

redonkulousruntsracing
12-29-2008, 08:50 AM
that's about the extent of the mods I was tinking of. So porting the stock head, not changing it, ok. How about tires, can I put 16" ones on the rear? I was also going to remove the electric start and oil injection. So I hear I should replace the tether too.

hotquads1
12-29-2008, 09:08 AM
oil injection and starter must stay in place according to the ATVA rules. the 16"tires are a good idea.
marc

redonkulousruntsracing
12-29-2008, 11:41 AM
thanx for the info. I read the rules but I didnt see where they got that in depth for the 50's. So that's why I am here asking questions. Like I said no sense in building a quad he cant race.So no rear brake, that's a bummer. That is the first thing my son asked for on his quad. I thought safety mods were allowed.

hotquads1
12-29-2008, 12:34 PM
glad to help.