PDA

View Full Version : Axle bearings stuck

rodeo#11
12-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Alright guys sorry for posting so many thread on this but ive searched this a million times and havent had any luck. Im changing out the bearing in my carrier and i can't seem to pry the stupid things lose. I had this same problem with the swingarm bearings but i was able to get a press and get those out.. Anyone got a clue how to get these things out ive tried everything (heat,pb blaster, etc) and still nothing. Anyone else had this problem????

alberto
12-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Rodeo,

Sorry, but I want to learn from your pain. I also have to replace my bearing carrier and I am not looking forward to it. Correct me if I am wrong, cant you buy a carrier with the bearings already packed? I just want to replace the whole carrier not just the bearings. I know Im not answering your question,but I dont want to go through the same pain that you are having.

This seems to be a major issue with the 400. If anyone can bring knowledge to this thread that would be awesome.

400exc
12-28-2008, 08:43 PM
If you are talking about the swingarm bearings on the pivot bolt, i had some issues with those as well. I ended up taking u punch to them for who knows how long until all the pieces busted out. I used everything before that too such as PB, WD, and heat, but nothing worked. So my advice is to do what i did, and they are a really tight fit when they go beck in too, so make sure thye get greased or oiled up well first.

coryatver
12-28-2008, 09:41 PM
you can only hit them out don't pound in towards the center.. Find a good pry bar stick it in from the opposite side with the carrier in a vice and get some bite on the bearing and hit it as hard as you can. Something has to move. The hardest part is getting a good bite on the bearing with the prybar with the spacer in there. I replaced my bearings about 4 times until the carrier was wore out and then i got a billet dual row bearing carrier the bearings in it last so much longer.

alberto
12-28-2008, 10:02 PM
So you can buy the carrier with the bearings already packed? The thing is getting the carrier removed from the axle? Thats what everyone has trouble with? This sounds like a project I am not looking forward to. :(

lilyamaharacer4
12-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by alberto
So you can buy the carrier with the bearings already packed? The thing is getting the carrier removed from the axle? Thats what everyone has trouble with? This sounds like a project I am not looking forward to. :(

Yes, most carriers come with the bearings already installed. What they are having problems with is getting the bearings out of the carrier. The axle just slides through the carrier and then u remover the carrier.

3racers
12-30-2008, 06:02 PM
I have used a dremble with round metal cuttin bit make two cuts across from each other they break out easier takes alittle time and a few bits.

rodeo#11
01-10-2009, 09:21 PM
alright sorry for bringing this thread back up but im still having a hard time gettin these out.... the bearing actually snapped and the outer portion of the bearing is the only part seized. anyone have any advice/pictures something on this???

BlasterEaten250
01-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Put the whole carrier in the oven on 250* for 15 minutes, take it out and hit it against the ground and they should slide out. Make sure when you take it out move fast because it tends to cool down pretty quick.

hondaking52
01-11-2009, 03:24 PM
or you can get a chisel and hit the outer race of the bearing and crack it, worked for me... oven is a interesting idea tho, might try tht next time..

rodeo#11
01-11-2009, 06:47 PM
alright! thanks for the quick replys i was gonna try to torch it instead of the oven, take it to a local machine shop and let my buddy go to town on it that way lol

billyboy93
01-17-2009, 05:25 PM
or if u have a welder take and make a weld on the outer race and it will srink it and i will fall out i do it all the time

hdlstns
01-18-2009, 03:43 PM
The welding thing works great, I've done it in a different situation , but same application. Outer race was seized. All I used was a little 110v welder. It worked great. Also, heating the carrier on a hotplate would be a good idea for re-installation.

Good luck!