PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Q

KingpinsEx
12-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Going to be racing mx next season and trying to decide on a good exhaust. I was thinking of getting the yoshi full system, but I also heard the stock header is pretty decent so wondering about a slip on as well. After researching this a bit I found that the stock exhaust is actually VERY good and trying to decide whether it is worth the extra investment. I am currently running a stock setup, CB airbox lid off, and spark arrester out and im pretty impressed with the power. Of course I am looking for a little more, espically on the bottom end, I was hoping a pipe would do that for me along with gearing it down a bit. However, I was reading that alot of pipes out there actually make less HP than the stocker! And something like most pipes only gives a gain of about 3hp, pretty expensive in my mind. A hunderd dollars for one horsepower? I do not have any powercommanders or anything like that, I don't know much about FI and want to keep it as simple as possible for right now. So with my stock setup is an exhaust even worth it, and if so which ones? I read that the motoworks slip on makes more power than their full system? I also like FMF but have not found any reviews on it. I'm wondering if the extra cash would be better used to cover race expenses, I will probably end up doing cams and porting down the road...

jkiserracing
12-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Well a pipe is usually the first upgrade that most do....i think you should definately see some increase in power over the stock.....in addition usually an aftermarket pipe weighs alot less than the bulky stockers.....the aftermarket pipe should give you much better exhaust flow.....if your on the fence i say just go for the slip on right now and maybe look at adding a header down the road.....

LTRracer4
12-28-2008, 10:45 PM
id look toward DASA for a pipe. I have an FMF slip on, and it is CRAP. The mounts arent even close to lining up, and the can its self is pulling the rivets out of its self, and getting loose. its embarrising.

KingpinsEx
12-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by LTRracer4
id look toward DASA for a pipe. I have an FMF slip on, and it is CRAP. The mounts arent even close to lining up, and the can its self is pulling the rivets out of its self, and getting loose. its embarrising.

Ya that was what was holding me back from buying one. I looked at the mounts and it doesnt look anywhere near close to how the stocker is bolted on. I can just remeber hearing a FMF full system on this Z400 I used to race against and the thing just sounded BA. Of course I'm looking more for power than sound, a little more bottom end out of the turns is really what I need. So with a slip on I should be fine just using the CB? I do like the DASA's but it will most likely be a Motoworks or Yoshi slip on because I can get really good deals on those...

LTRracer4
12-29-2008, 11:10 AM
yeah a cb is plenty. you onlyneed better programmers when you get into motorwork

12-29-2008, 04:16 PM
DASA full system proven to be the "real" best exhaust
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd127/blue450yo/dum/dyno.jpg

KingpinsEx
12-30-2008, 09:52 AM
HMF is better than the Yoshi? Also are those full systems? And what motor setup are those run on? Just posting a graph doesn't really prove much...

LTRracer4
12-30-2008, 10:17 AM
hes just showing when it comes to full systems Dasa is produces the most power.

miller821
12-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Obviously it's taken from the HQ... Where they were all done using a full system with just the cherry bomb, with a stock bore I believe...

KingpinsEx
12-31-2008, 10:05 AM
For bottom end power looks like the HMF is the pipe to buy then. I would be nice to see a stock exhaust on there, to see how much improvement it really is...

ltr_akrapovic
12-31-2008, 11:58 AM
akrapovic is a really good pipe a have this pipe on my ltr whit a pro flow and P.I.M

01-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Saying DASA is the best is not true. Their's so many exhausts out their and all because one exhaust reads the highest out of a few pipes tested dont meen nothing and at less all you do is drag race because the highest top end pipe normaly is low on power on the low end.

Heres a list of name brand pipes and theirs lots more out their.

HMF
LRD
DASA
Motoworks
FMF
Lexx
Big Gun
Yoshimura
Toomey Racing
Pro circuit
Jardine
Supertrapp