PDA

View Full Version : Trick to installing little clutch springs?

47501exracer
12-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Tore my son's quad apart today to replace the rollers and springs. Those pesky little clutch springs are a pain in the rear to put in. Anyone have tricks for doing this? Thanks!

Nichols Atvs
12-27-2008, 01:35 PM
You Will need a awl , needlenose visegrip, needle nose pliers, two flat head screw drivers (4mm blade width), 2 hammers one rubber one steel ( steel being 5 lbs weight), 2 rolls of black tape,
3 bunge cords (6 inchs long). a come along and a Six pack of beer , if it s a race day then 12 pack , Play side 2 of Led Zeplin 4,
And there you have it ALL DONE!! . Not really any easy way to do it just takes a lot of practice and a few blown up clutches .Once thats done youll be a pro and you can answer these threads. Good Luck.

ZTR_MAN
12-27-2008, 02:56 PM
WOW another use for black tape!!! I would have never guessed it! LOL!!! :D

mfr422
12-27-2008, 03:25 PM
I use a pipe spring tool that I bought from rockymountainatv.com, works like a charm:D

dericsdad
12-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Don't forget the super glue and bandaids to stop the bleeding!

Lately I have beend taking the shoes off of the backing plate to replace the springs. Just clamp the backing plate into the vice, so it lays flat with the shoe side up.

I think ZTR has a special tool in the works though.

Dan

ZTR_MAN
12-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by dericsdad
I think ZTR has a special tool in the works though.

Dan

Ohh snap!!! That has been put on the back burner, since I was working on the Quick Change Hub and Sprocket and then the Z-Nut. It's also funny that you say that Dan because I just found the prototype a few minutes ago while doing inventory.

Kinda sounds like there is already something available from what mfr422 said

Originally posted by mfr422
I use a pipe spring tool that I bought from rockymountainatv.com, works like a charm :D

If that is the case it would be really tough to compete with on price, especially making this in the USA!!! Always looking for problems to solve though. This may be one that we need to revisit, depending on the responses to this thread.

When I look at building a product I want to know that it will solve a problem, not just be a bling item. I want it to solve a problem and be a bling item all at the same time.

Thanks,

nordic quad
12-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Put the cluch in a vice and cut a notch in an old screw driver and use it as a hook to pull the spring in place,took me a little time to put the notch in the right place but after that replacing the springs was less than 5min and this cluch still works like a charm.
Ps. i think etondaddy had this idea first.

47501exracer
12-27-2008, 04:25 PM
I saw the idea of the notched screwdriver on another thread and it made things MUCH easier. After I got the quad running it still kept stalling and would not pull. I was pretty aggravated and thought I would get rid of the spark arrestor. When I pulled it out the quad came to life and ran like a beast. The arrestor was so packed with deposits there was no airflow. Thanks for all the responses everyone!

etondaddy
12-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Ye old grooved screwdriver trick........have been using it for years.....

Mike Kozura

mini racer #39
12-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Take the shoes off the clutch. Put the 3 springs on the shoes, and slide the whole thing onto the mount. Replace c-clips and washers. All Done 4 minutes total

Logan #34's Dad
12-28-2008, 02:51 AM
Problem is, We all don't have the Popeye forearms that you have #39. LOL

jjd223
12-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Stein,

how about a photo of that special screwdriver.

Thanks

Joe

12-28-2008, 06:40 AM
The only way I have ever did it and never got a scratch AND NEVER STRETCHED A SPRING is take the shoes off anybody who does not do this is crazy. They are straing their self for nothing. Its like why use a shovel when you got a back hoe. Its that easy to do:devil: :devil: :devil:

Nichols Atvs
12-28-2008, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by ZTR_MAN
WOW another use for black tape!!! I would have never guessed it! LOL!!! :D

OH yes black tape is almost as amazing as gray 100 mile an hour tape with just not as much hold . Of course its smaller and easier to use . And it does come in just about every color you can think of . James see what you can come up with to improve it I Know you could laser etch peoples names on it .

nordic quad
12-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Nothing special about this screw driver Joe but i will try to post pics later today.
Stein A

LT80
12-29-2008, 07:04 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by etondaddy
[B]Ye old grooved screwdriver trick........have been using it for years.....

I use my snap-on spring puller.
Buncha hammer mechanics..:D :D