PDA

View Full Version : valve adjustment?

jason_31
12-27-2008, 10:48 AM
hi, i just bought an 07 400ex, ive had a quad for a while but sold it and finally got another one. im not that good at mechanical things..its only had about 5 hours on it in total, and i know they can require valve adjustment early on... my question is, when you need to adjust your valves is the clicking going to be really loud, so that there is no doubt in your mind you need them adjusted? because i hear a tick in my motor but its nothing super loud... im just curious what to look for, thanks (sorry for the annyoing question)

jason_31
12-27-2008, 10:57 AM
i know its hard to answer without hearing it, but i can tell you that the clicking isnt half as loud as it is in this ex vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-0AssR47gk

drillteamleader
12-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Just remember that if it is a hot day and you just got done ripping it up for a while, the extra heat will make them sound loose. If you think they need adjusted, then adkust them after it has sat overnight.

jason_31
12-27-2008, 11:25 AM
this is after riding it just around my house not really ripping it. its also winter here and pretty cold. does cold affect it?

drillteamleader
12-27-2008, 11:49 AM
The hotter the engine is the more noise you will hear. Like I said , if you think they might be loose then wait till the morning and adjust them. When I start my motor, for the first 20 to 30 minutes, I don't think I can hear them at all. Unless it's hot out, then it only takes about 10 minutes.