PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change help.....

jkiserracing
12-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi all...OK guys and gals who are a little more experienced on the LTR than me.....I currently ride a Honda 450r but I just bought a LTR 450 as well...so I need to do a little maintenance...ive read about the two screws on the bottom of the case and all so I think ive got that....but.....on my Honda you have to put the oil in on both sides of the motor (both sides have a seperate drain) now...on the ltr I think I know how much oil goes in the motor and how much in the oil tank....but there are two oil caps on both sides of the motor like my honda....so my question is does it matter which side I fill the motor from....or is it two seperate parts of the motor (again like my honda) Thanks, Jimmy

Drewltr450
12-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Yea u need to fill both sides up. I recommend using AMSOIL motorcycle oil. Buy 2 quarts. Put 1300ml in the actual oil tank. And the rest of the 700ml in the Filler plug that is right on the engine case.

jkiserracing
12-27-2008, 11:10 AM
hi..thanks...now tell me that again...you say to fill on both sides but then you say fill on the right side....??

LTRracer4
12-27-2008, 11:22 AM
im pretty positive there is only one oil cap on the motor its self. its on the clutch cover. Put half a quart in there and the rest in the oil tank

jkiserracing
12-27-2008, 11:46 AM
you are probably right..im actually not at home (where the quad is) now but i was thinking there was two places to fill on the motor itself..but i may be wrong about that

miller821
12-27-2008, 05:47 PM
LTRracer4 is right, and there is only one spot on the right side of the engine to fill... Add to there and the oil tank and you'll be fine... It seems like you always have to add more than what the manual says for it to show on the dipstick, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't show for a while.

QuadJunkies
12-28-2008, 11:33 AM
My Husband just done his 1st oil change on my Daughters last night and man is it a PITA compared to our hondas. :scary:
This is going to take a little getting used to . lol
We were goign to go with rotella,but for oil we ended up using what was used in it when we bought it-Maxima oil-they are also a sponsor ,and we have had liked there product alot since we started using it a year ago on all our other quads.

Has anyone here used the
Maxima Extra 4 Maxum4 series 10w40w
(triple ester formula)

We were reccomended to use on Suzuki ,its there highest quality oil they sell.

jkiserracing,how ya liking your new ride?My Daughter is really liking hers :)

jherbie28
12-28-2008, 01:50 PM
the 2 horizontal bolts on the bottom of the engine case has got to be the stupidist design ever. i understand if its to keep from sheering a normal bolt off. pita for sure.

cant complane other wise:p

QuadJunkies
12-28-2008, 02:00 PM
I think the only real complaint aside of that(well,so far. lol) is the weight . The rear end def. takes some getting used to.

jherbie28
12-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I think the only real complaint aside of that(well,so far. lol) is the weight . The rear end def. takes some getting used to.

i came off a pretty well built kfx440 and the ltr was the best machine ive ever ridden even in stock form......even better built:macho walsh and fox

jkiserracing
12-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Hi quadjunkies.....well unfortunately I havent got a chance to even ride it yet.....hopefully I can within the next 2 weeks....cant wait.....my trx 450r is all ready set up for mx so Im thinking i may set up the suzuki for xc...just not sure yet...i do want one for each....... mx and xc.....

as for the two bolts on the bottom of the case.....i read where so many had issues with stripping them.......( i changed my oil just tonight)...so what i decided to do was take out only one ( i went with the one closest to the swingarm) and let it drain out there...once it went to a slow drip I propped up the front end about 12 inches and drained the rest...i just figured fooling with only 1 bolt was better than 2......luckily it went right back in with no problems (at least this time)

LTRracer4
12-28-2008, 10:42 PM
ive never had any problems stripping them (knock on wood) the oil change is a bit of a hastle, but its not too bad. Coming from a built yfz i think my LTR is pretty awesome.

grantmi
12-29-2008, 11:57 AM
I have not had any issues with the case drain bolts. I have had issues with the external oil tank drain. I stripped the threads first and then broke off the plug bung. Both were easy fixes though. I helicoilded the threads and then had the bung welded back on. If you strip the oil tank threads and have to remove the tank I would suggest going ahead and having the bung welded while it is out.

12-31-2008, 09:03 AM
grantmi, your not the only one with that problem. i know a few guys that have done the same. so when i got my ltr, i figured i would take my time and be extra carefull with it. but it broke right off, bolt still threaded it. i mean, the hole "plug bung" came with it and oil was all over the floor.
i took it to my deal and said fix this cause its a problem. i was told i changed the oil and it was my fault, so my warrity would not cover it. they tried to sell me a stock tank for 210 plus labor. i guess they didnt understand the problem. the plug bungs have a crappy welded job. the dealership laughed at me cause in there mind i was turning the bolt the wrong way.
while they were looking at my bike, they question my full exhaust system and the "cherry bomb" combo. they were very confused on how it would even start. so, i made fun of them till i pissed off them off. i now go to a different dealership about 2 miles down the road.
the fix, before you break it, do what grantmi said, get it re-welded. i was laughed at and called stupid, but when you have a robot welding for you, can you really trust it?

QuadJunkies
12-31-2008, 11:04 AM
IS it made of aluminum??
If so, I will see if as freind of mine can fix ours.

grantmi
12-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Yes it is made out of aluminum. It cost me like $10 to have it welded and then I poof canned the weld area (hidden so no biggie).

I broke mine the oil change after the heli-coil. I was irate, but now its good.

QuadJunkies
12-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Im all over that . Im glad you all brought this up before it became a problem for us,thanks :)