PDA

View Full Version : '07 TRX400EX Clutch Lever Pull...

5corpi9
12-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Anyone have answers on how I can make my clutch lever pull easier?

Right now, it's quite a pull and exhausting...

Thanks in advance for your input...

rcatvrider
12-26-2008, 05:07 PM
My 05 is also hard to pull. Some say to lube the cable but i find it's the spring itself. Magura sells a hydraulic clutch kit but I think it's around $500 but it makes the clutch alot easier to pull. There are a few aftermarket levers that change the pull ratio making it easier as well.

SteveWR450F
12-26-2008, 05:17 PM
In most cases, you just need to lube or replace your clutch cable. My girlfriend's 05 quad had same problem.

But eventually, we switched to magura clutch. 199 at RockyMtn

Brauap
12-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
My 05 is also hard to pull. Some say to lube the cable but i find it's the spring itself. Magura sells a hydraulic clutch kit but I think it's around $500 but it makes the clutch alot easier to pull. There are a few aftermarket levers that change the pull ratio making it easier as well.

It's $199 on eBay, also.

Try to adjust the cables slack, possibly its set too tight. I think there is suppose to be .5 inch in slack (where you pull it .5 inch and there's nothing, then after that it start to pull.. )

buck440
12-26-2008, 05:30 PM
it dont cost $500, you can get 2 of them for $400 and have a hundred left :p

400ex28
12-26-2008, 05:50 PM
new cable, lever and quit being a sissy.

rcatvrider
12-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Guess the price I've seen is the msrp for the magura maybe. My cousin's kfx clutch if butter compared to mine. I like to 2-finger clutch so it just makes it a little harder.

Ryan'07400ex
12-26-2008, 07:46 PM
I have always heard it gets hard to pull when you burn it, which seems to be common if you don't tie it away from aftermarker headers. My friend has a full system curtis sparks on a 05 400ex and it is very hard to pull and examining it the rubber is burnt and you can se the actual cabel. It does hurt to pull that all day who ever said stop be a pansy or whatever.

dunatic
12-27-2008, 01:10 AM
install a new factory cable and an Applied Racing ball bearing EZ pull lever.

http://www.motocrossgiant.com/Applied_Star_Adjust_Lever_Assembly_p/app_staradjust.htm

5corpi9
12-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks to all for the replies!

Gonna try another cable and lever, and if worse comes to worse,
I might have to go with the hydraulic clutch.

Anyone know the length of the stock clutch cable?

Thanks again...:D :D :D

440challenger
12-27-2008, 05:25 PM
new OEM HONDA cable with msr AOF clutch lever/perch assembly. you will be quite happy for only 50$ out of pocket

rcatvrider
12-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by 440challenger
new OEM HONDA cable with msr AOF clutch lever/perch assembly. you will be quite happy for only 50$ out of pocket
Are you running that setup? I'm looking for a new lever and that one is cheap but doesn't specify that it makes pull easier.

Gibson
12-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
Are you running that setup? I'm looking for a new lever and that one is cheap but doesn't specify that it makes pull easier.

i'm using the msr aof lever and perch and it works awesome, but my clutch is still stiff b/c of the heavy duty clutch springs

5corpi9
12-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Where can I find "longer than stock" length clutch cables?

I've added a Pro Taper Handlebar and it seems like the clutch
cable might be a tad tight.

Thanks!

kilgoja
12-29-2008, 09:58 AM
lube the cable...and spray wd40 on the base of the lever that the clutch cable is connected to on top of the engine....

rcatvrider
01-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Still nobody running the msr on stock clutch springs? I'm seriously looking into it but I like function over form. Sure it will clean up the bars but if it's not easier to pull then to me it's wasted money. Today I checked my cable, it was smooth but I still lubed it, lubed the lever, and even modified the stock lever to change the leverage ratio and it's still significantly harder to pull that all of the quads I go riding with.

01-03-2009, 07:51 PM
For $500 I can buy 4 and have $12 left lol

Pipeless416
01-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by 5corpi9
Where can I find "longer than stock" length clutch cables?

I've added a Pro Taper Handlebar and it seems like the clutch
cable might be a tad tight.

Thanks!

order a 250x clutch cable. im not sure if year matters, but i got a '92 and it works great. you can route it down your frame instead of through the headpipes, so it lasts a lot longer, and the connection and mounting is the same as stock. i don't know why honda didn't do this to begin with.

5corpi9
01-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
order a 250x clutch cable. im not sure if year matters, but i got a '92 and it works great. you can route it down your frame instead of through the headpipes, so it lasts a lot longer, and the connection and mounting is the same as stock. i don't know why honda didn't do this to begin with.

Pipeless416,

Thanks for the info, I will check it out.

Do you know what the length of the stock clutch cable is for an 07 TRX400EX?

Do you know what the length is for the 250x is?

Thanks again!

sc400ex_rider
01-04-2009, 12:49 PM
when i broke my front brake lever i put on a moose i liked it so much i replaced my stock clutch lever. the moose levers are alot flatter with more surface area. the stockers are kinda square you dont notice it till you have something to compare it to. this might not cure a burnt cable but its a nice upgrade for $10 each they are a huge improvement. they even say on the package they are ergonomicley desinged. also they are not made by moose they are repackaged wiezt? and made in austria they are very high quality. maybe someone else with these can chime in.

440challenger
01-04-2009, 04:42 PM
yes i run the setup with stock clutch, it made a huge difference.
I would put a new oem cable on it too and lube it before install with tri flow or cable life. I never had much luck with motion pro when it came to trying to get a easy clutch pull, their cables always seemed more stiff and wore out quicker.

rcatvrider
01-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by 440challenger
yes i run the setup with stock clutch, it made a huge difference.
I would put a new oem cable on it too and lube it before install with tri flow or cable life. I never had much luck with motion pro when it came to trying to get a easy clutch pull, their cables always seemed more stiff and wore out quicker.
I disconnected the cable and lubed it. It has very little resistance so i highly doubt it's the cable. I guess I'll have to give it try soon. It's either a new clutch lever, handguards and a few other misc parts or 450r front shocks. I'm leaning towards shocks because then I can do alot more jumping.

5corpi9
01-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
when i broke my front brake lever i put on a moose i liked it so much i replaced my stock clutch lever. the moose levers are alot flatter with more surface area. the stockers are kinda square you dont notice it till you have something to compare it to. this might not cure a burnt cable but its a nice upgrade for $10 each they are a huge improvement. they even say on the package they are ergonomicley desinged. also they are not made by moose they are repackaged wiezt? and made in austria they are very high quality. maybe someone else with these can chime in.

sc400ex_rider,

Could you post a url on the one you are talking about?

Thanks...

rodeo#11
01-04-2009, 09:35 PM
I had the same problem with my 400ex cable got stiff then eventually wouldnt move at all i just did a whole rebuild on the cluth and everything though, changed out the plates and springs cause they actually did need it and dropped a new msr adjust on the go cluth perch with a motion pro clutch cable, worked great! routed the cable away from the headers that way it wouldnt melt, i def. recommend the msr clutch perch its easy to install and very cheap! and tough as hell.

sc400ex_rider
01-04-2009, 10:29 PM
here you go, if you dont want to pay shipping you can get the manufactures part number and order it though your local cycle shop.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/product.jsp?store=Main&catId=115&leafCatId=11509&skuId=571682&productId=p571680&mmyId=

5corpi9
01-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Hopefully this will work and make the pull easier.

I have my old ASV F3 perch and lever that I'm gonna use with the +2 Motion Pro Cable I ordered, and hopefully route it away from the exhaust pipes.

Also gonna lube up the cable prior to install.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks to all for the input and info!

440challenger
01-05-2009, 07:21 AM
I must tell you, the asv's really do not help pull and i've seen them smoke many clutches due to adjustment issues.
They also have a sharp lever feel,squared off. Worth a try though if you have it...

And if you order a stock 400ex motion pro cable they are usually a bit longer then stock, and then you can still even get them a few inches longer for stems etc.\