PDA

View Full Version : In or Out of the frame?

Brauap
12-26-2008, 03:22 PM
I was wondering which is easier/better. Is it easier to assemble the engine out of the quad then place it in the frame, or is it easier to bolt the bottom end in, then build it up, in the frame?

Thanks!

Lets try not to bash me, alright? :ermm:

Pipeless416
12-26-2008, 03:24 PM
speaking from experience.. (many times) its easier to build up the top end while the rest is still in the frame. its not fun trying to get the engine in while its all in one piece. :macho :o

12-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
speaking from experience.. (many times) its easier to build up the top end while the rest is still in the frame. its not fun trying to get the engine in while its all in one piece. :macho :o

yeah its a little heavy together and then you have to tilt and twist to try and slide it in there. Put the bottom end in then assemble the topend

Brauap
12-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416

That is what I was thinking, but I just wanted to hear some other people's experiences with it.. to farther prove it to me. Because I know it was a pain to get the whole engine out of the frame! I also don't want to scratch my newly painted frame..

Pipeless416
12-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
I also don't want to scratch my newly painted frame..

been there, done that.. trying to get the engine back in by myself.. :tired:

Honda#4
12-26-2008, 06:55 PM
From personal experience from rebuilding my motor then redoing a base gasket mistake I choose to take my motor out to put it together, it takes a good strong back to pick the motor up(95lbs) I didnt have a garage to work in so I had no choice but its all up to you Colten what you do. Its really not bad taking the whole motor out but after you put it in 4 times you get use to it pretty fast.

gcart2
12-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
yeah its a little heavy together and then you have to tilt and twist to try and slide it in there. Put the bottom end in then assemble the topend

try doing that between races.

i did a complete swap in 1.5 hours. im the man.:devil:

but yea bottom end in first then build the top end separate.

blankenship
12-26-2008, 10:01 PM
dont want to high jack anyones thread but how hard would it be to remove your whole motor and put it back in whole i want to powdercoat my frame but have just recently built my 440 motor and dontr want to do the whole topend over even though i know it only takes about 20-25 min to do it i dont want to you know?

12-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
try doing that between races.

i did a complete swap in 1.5 hours. im the man.:devil:

but yea bottom end in first then build the top end separate.

been there done that actually lol

Brauap
12-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by blankenship
dont want to high jack anyones thread but how hard would it be to remove your whole motor and put it back in whole i want to powdercoat my frame but have just recently built my 440 motor and dontr want to do the whole topend over even though i know it only takes about 20-25 min to do it i dont want to you know?

Taking it out is the easy part.. but if you don't want to take it apart, just possibly coat the frame with bubble wrap or carboard anywhere where the engine could/would possibly/will hit. Once it is in, lift it a tad (or rock it) and remove the carboard or bubble wrap..

Thats just an idea I have had and thought I'd share it.. not 100% sure if it would work, however. :ermm: But I think it should!

SandGeek
12-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by blankenship

Putting the engine in whole really isn't that bad. It's not that heavy.

Although, having assembled the top end in and out of the frame, I prefer in the frame cause it makes it a lot easier to torque. Holding your engine still while trying to torque on the bench sucks.

f4istunna
12-27-2008, 07:38 AM
ive tried it both ways several times. On a newly coated frame id definately do the bottom end first then topend once the bottom is bolted. It seems to be almost impossible not to scratch/nick the new paint putting it in whole :mad:

Ruby Soho
12-27-2008, 07:40 AM
i find it easy all together.. you just tilt it forward (without the header on) and it will slide right in, then just through the pivot bolt through and get the rest in

SandGeek
12-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Brauap
Taking it out is the easy part.. but if you don't want to take it apart, just possibly coat the frame with bubble wrap or carboard anywhere where the engine could/would possibly/will hit. Once it is in, lift it a tad (or rock it) and remove the carboard or bubble wrap..

Thats just an idea I have had and thought I'd share it.. not 100% sure if it would work, however. :ermm: But I think it should!

I've used a couple stategically places shop rags wrapped around the frame and held in place by a quick wrap of e-tape for the same affect. Works well.