PDA

View Full Version : X-33 Axle

Foxrage
12-17-2002, 04:41 PM
I just got my X-33 axle and i was wondering how the **** do you get the hubs tight? I cant get my hubs tight on them? Thanks

forum
12-17-2002, 05:13 PM
impact is the only way i found

Mxbubs
12-17-2002, 05:17 PM
Not 30 minutes ago I was fighting my new one to get it tight.........I think the new ones have shorter nuts than the old ones. I took the older nut and bolt I have and it tightened right up. No more wobble.

Foxrage
12-17-2002, 05:41 PM
Well i cant get a socket on the nut side and cant tighten much tighter on the allen wrench side. Any other suggestions? THanks

Dan Fisher
12-17-2002, 05:43 PM
Buy a Lone Star. Sorry couldn't help myself.

QuadRacer041
12-17-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Dan Fisher

:devil

Dan Fisher
12-17-2002, 05:47 PM
Don't get me wrong the x-33 is a great axle it was just an easy bad joke.

OutlawEX
12-17-2002, 05:48 PM
Don't get me wrong the x-33 is a great axle it was just an easy bad joke.

agreed

Foxrage
12-17-2002, 05:58 PM
Well I would of loved to have a LS but i bought this for 200 plus my stock axle. And this is a 500 dollar axle so i couldnt beat that and i still have a warranty on this one just in case so HA. :devil

Well there goes the lonestar stuff i had on my list!

Mxbubs
12-17-2002, 07:24 PM
I know this is not going to make sense, and goes against all normal thinking............Try a different nut.......Just this evening I fought the same problem.......The nut I was having no luck with was only about 1/2 long, put the old nut on it, it is about 3/4" long, and it tightened right up......I think the more threads gave me alot more torque, which pinched down that hub.Ill take some pics tommorrow.

bongwater200
12-17-2002, 07:38 PM

HA HA HA! Good plug, Dan......... but I have to agree. I have an old MRA axle, which was the company that built them for JP/Lonestar. I have had this same axle for about 8 years. I bent it once, took it to my cousin's machine shop to press it strait and got something like...... "what in holy **** is that thing made out of?!?!?!?!?!?!" They had to press about 6 inches of bend into that axle to get it to come back strait! All I can say is that Lonestar's axles are durable SOBs.

Durablow sucks.

PB

crashinmatt
12-17-2002, 07:58 PM
i had a x-33, and to tighten the hubs, i bought different bolts and used washers as spacers, so that the nut sat out slightly further than the hub. that way i could use a socket on that side and used the allen wrench to hold the other side. otherwise at first, i put a screwdriver in the hub between the nut and the hub and used it as a wedge. i have since stopped usin my x-33 cuz i kept breakin hubs.

Fleshwound
12-17-2002, 08:01 PM
yes make spacers so you can get at the nut...

Evan
12-17-2002, 08:19 PM

Can you tell me the guidelines to get a replacement axle??
I have one that is kinda old, and the sprocket hub is busted. I know they come with a lifetime warranty, but I dont know if the hub is covered.

Mxbubs
12-17-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by crashinmatt
i had a x-33, and to tighten the hubs, i bought different bolts and used washers as spacers, so that the nut sat out slightly further than the hub. that way i could use a socket on that side and used the allen wrench to hold the other side. otherwise at first, i put a screwdriver in the hub between the nut and the hub and used it as a wedge. i have since stopped usin my x-33 cuz i kept breakin hubs.

The nuts do make a difference....I knew I wasnt crazy.:D

d-14 rider 27
12-17-2002, 09:18 PM
if its like my x-33, on the hub where its machined flat for the washers to ride, one side is machined bigger, you might have the allen head in the bigger one, look at it and put the bolt in the other way. if im correct, i accept paypal, or any performance quad parts :D

QuadRacer041
12-18-2002, 04:49 AM
i cant believe you gotta spend over $350.00 of that axle and you have to MAKE your own spacer, sounds like peice of $hit too me.
i cant under stand why you guys done call durablue and complain.

i thought the x33 was a hollow axle and made for tt racing, is that right?

Mity Mo
12-18-2002, 07:34 AM
I have had mine for a couple of years now. I got it off a a quad we bought from Doug Gust while he was with Nacs. So he rode it for a year and I have been on it for awhile. I weigh 265 and been using it for MX. I have had no problems with mine staying tight. The only reason I am thinking of a new one is because the chrome is starting to chip. But it is still a great axle. But I dont know if it actually warrants a $400 price tag for a new one. Mo

Dan Fisher
12-18-2002, 08:21 AM
Why don't you just get it rechromed or send it back and have them do it. I charge $50.00 to rechrome our axle and I think that is better than $400.00. Plus is sounds like you got a good axle o do not get rid of it. Dan LSR

Mity Mo
12-18-2002, 08:37 AM
Thanks Dan for the honest answer. I am thinking about purchasing one of yours actually though. I have seen the LSR axles hold up very well in MX competition and I didnt see one of them break at the Nats this year. So I think I will end up selling my Durablue and buy a LSR. You helped seal the deal when you didnt selfishly promote yours and tried to save me the money. I will be getting in touch soon. Thanks again Dan. You have bought yourself a customer. Mo;)

Mxbubs
12-18-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Mity Mo
I have had mine for a couple of years now. I got it off a a quad we bought from Doug Gust while he was with Nacs. So he rode it for a year and I have been on it for awhile. I weigh 265 and been using it for MX. I have had no problems with mine staying tight. The only reason I am thinking of a new one is because the chrome is starting to chip. But it is still a great axle. But I dont know if it actually warrants a $400 price tag for a new one. Mo

Old x-33 axles? These things seem to be really tough. I have one that is OLD........I have broken 2 swingarms, a hub, bent a-arms and a subframe and this thing hasnt budged. Beerock was telling me that a friend of his has one and swears it is an old one and that he too is amazed it hasnt broken. Maybe we just got a good batch made from good chromoly. I really dont like durablue products, but this axle has impressed me. Im going riding today, today just because I said this, Im sure it will break.:D

Mxbubs
12-18-2002, 04:43 PM
Axle held up, but I blew out a front wheel bearing.:eek:

12-18-2002, 07:29 PM
I have that set up and i have had no problems. No wobble. Real strong to. I have to send back my LSR to be un bent 2nd time. They do a great job fixing them.

12-18-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by CT416EX
I just got my X-33 axle and i was wondering how the **** do you get the hubs tight? I cant get my hubs tight on them? Thanks
the x 33 is a good axle ..has held 2 years many jumps & no breakage ..
I had a problem w/the hubs like you are describing ct 416ex,..
I had a machine shop open up the the 1 hole on 1 side
of each hub in order to use a large lock nut (teflon insert type )..to keep the hubs tight ..they shipped it w/a lock washer & regular nut so i simply replaced it w/lock nut .has worked fine evr since ...

Mxbubs
12-18-2002, 10:23 PM
AAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhh! A nylock.........I think I will do mine that way to..........Good thinking dude, thanks for the heads up.:D

Foxrage
12-19-2002, 10:17 AM
The X-33 looks like a great axle. The hubs even looks like a good setup i just need to get em tightened.

B@ckBoneBelgium
12-19-2002, 12:19 PM
Man ,

What the **** . You buy something aftermarket and it don't fit coorectly ? You pay hard $$$ , and you have to make a spacer to get your hub's tight ? This sounds like a lot of bull**** to me ...

Buy a lonestar , they have the best axle's . I got one for 3 years of havy abuse of MX racing . Never bend or break one ...

kenny

d-14 rider 27
12-19-2002, 07:30 PM
i bent my lsr in 3 weeks of mx:D but they are still the 2nd best right behind rpm speaking of that i gotta send in the lsr for replacement they better not try to straigten this one, its outta round about 3" anyone know whos got the best price on a rpm??

Mxbubs
12-20-2002, 05:54 PM
Cousin Larry at "sunset atv" will meet or beat any prices.

There's Jeff if he can get them.

HSD racing is also good and cheap.

PhilMoore
12-29-2002, 05:38 PM
I broke my brand new X-33 within 45 minutes of riding after I installed it. It was a 40 foot peak to peak gap onto a tabletop landing. My stock axle handled lots worse than that. I only got the X-33 cuz I wanted a bit wider. I told DuraBlue I didn't want to chance another "snapper" and they sent me a Eliminator (no refund). Basically I ended up with an Eliminator for $450. I haven't bought anything from Durablue since. I never will again.