PDA

View Full Version : 2010 TRX450R with EFI?

ltothaj1
12-25-2008, 03:31 PM
the new dirtbikes have fuel injection, whats the word on the new quad? anybody got any info?, i'm looking to upgrade to something with fuel injection...but i am a die hard honda fan, and would definitely wait a year if its a sure thing....

Dave400ex
12-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Seriousally they HAVE to do something for the 2010 models. They are falling behind.

IMSROLL450R
12-25-2008, 07:36 PM
agreed!

Brauap
12-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by hondarider11
I see it coming in 2010 just becuase they put it on the 700 and then tried it out without a battery on the 09 bikes now i can see it coming on the 450 quads in 2010.

Wouldn't an aluminum frame look nice? Like on the CR's?

BlaineKaiser450
12-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Wouldn't an aluminum frame look nice? Like on the CR's? that would give us even more frame problems than we already have

Dave400ex
12-26-2008, 02:56 PM
If they build it right it won't. We'll have to see how the YFZR frame does, but I think it'll be fine.

k4f5x0r
12-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
that would give us even more frame problems than we already have

typical honda tard. how many problems do you see with the kfx450 or the can am? exactly.

Honda NEEDS to step it up. i really think they dont give a **** about their atv line. they only update it when they finally fall REALLY far behind. cause honda is all about their dirtbikes.

Honda needs a new everything. besides maybe the motor. bu FI would make it alot better.

JMO :macho

Drewltr450
12-26-2008, 03:41 PM
ryan u are an angry little guy.

BlaineKaiser450
12-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r
typical honda tard. how many problems do you see with the kfx450 or the can am? exactly.
ive heard nothing but problems with all of the bikes

i really think they dont give a **** about their atv line. they dont.

TJ Bradley
12-26-2008, 07:39 PM
K4f5xor If Hondas are so bad Then why have they won everything there is to win in the ATV scene. ?? But yes i Definitly agree with they need to step up they're game. If they did a no weld aluminum frame like Can-am i think it would be good, Hell anythings better than the POS steel ones right now.

SHIFTx450
12-27-2008, 09:20 AM

Honda NEEDS to step it up. i really think they dont give a **** about their atv line. they only update it when they finally fall REALLY far behind. cause honda is all about their dirtbikes.

Honda needs a new everything. besides maybe the motor. bu FI would make it alot better.

JMO :macho

lol.. me personally, ive seen right in front of my face, 1 kfx450r lock up a tranny, 1 kfx450r motor blow, and 1 kfx450r catch on fire right in front of my face lmao.. oh, and 2 more get sh*tted on by my honda!

IMSROLL450R
12-28-2008, 07:32 PM
I will also second the KFX being a total piece of turd. My friend bought one and ruined the tranny in less than 10 hours. I'll take my Honda, efi or not over anything green ANYDAY.

Kawasucki Keep lying to yourself dude.

hondaracer_34
12-29-2008, 09:02 AM
wow you two make the KFX seem like a horrible quad. Every quad has its goods and bads. Your friend ruined his tranny in less than 10 hours? I havent had one problem with my KFX...maybe he just doesn't know how to ride it. No offense to your friend, but before you start bashing on other brands remember that yours has also had problems. Also, my frame has held up pretty dang good. I also agree though, honda does need to step it up...fast.

ThePhantomRider
12-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Listen, 2 years ago I did an interview with reps from Honda. They wanted to know what the consumer wanted...I said straight out that BNG is not an upgrade after they asked questions about graphics. I told them at the time the flame motif was starting to taper off in popularity so what do they do? They do a blue flame package....LOL

Anyway, I told them they need to (wait for this) offer 2-3 different packages....actually make an option list for those who want to order their quad from the factory. That keeps production lines simple.

Example 1: You want a 50" quad. They have arms, axle and as for shocks, you have 2 choices, Plush (Dune) and Firm (MX). Or if you are a heavier rider or lighter rider, the shocks can be closer fit to you. Not as difficult as you think to do.

Example 2: You like a narrower quad..stock width arms and again 2 shock choices.

Finally I told them they need a line of GTYR type products, nerfs, stabilizers, etc, offered to install at the factory as well as offer to factory install the HRC kit.

All they need to do is say..."This quad will have this color plastic, HRC kit, wide arms, firm shocks etc...

Now as for updates...EFI is a given...if they decide against an alloy frame, at least give us chrome moly frame and a-arms with good geometry.

That was 2 years ago...we will see what happens. I know how the factories work, and it is easy to do and how would you like to order one up and in a month, show up to your ideal quad waiting for you.

Oh and sorry, but we should not get charged for more than material cost for wide arms...same welds, same build time. Custom orders must not exceed 1,000. Add nerfs, kill switch, HRC and maybe a Honda label pipe could push the whole package to $2000 but still well under what you pay in aftermarket.

TPR

stoopidbot
12-30-2008, 10:15 AM
I have a friend who works for Honda, he told me 2007 what the 2009 CRFs would be like and he was exactly right. He also told me in 2010(or 11 if the CRFs had a lot of problems) that the TRX would be EFI with an aluminum frame, KYB shocks(Honda dumped Showa), and 2 selectable fuel mappings. This was before the other companies released their MX and XC versions. Expect to see two different models.

ThePhantomRider
12-30-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm just wondering if others think like I do, that you create a solid base...motor, frame, egronomics, you decide the base is to be max width most XC guys use, then create the same arms long enough to get to 50".

Different shocks are easy, all it is, is different valving and spring sets. Make them adjustable enough to satisfy a large variety of customers and make the package affordable.

Like an HRC kit for handling.

I'd pay $8500-$9000 for a 50" wide quad I could decide on what shock package I wanted.

Think custom with a factory warranty.

TPR

motofreak2772
12-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
I'm just wondering if others think like I do, that you create a solid base...motor, frame, egronomics, you decide the base is to be max width most XC guys use, then create the same arms long enough to get to 50".

Different shocks are easy, all it is, is different valving and spring sets. Make them adjustable enough to satisfy a large variety of customers and make the package affordable.

Like an HRC kit for handling.

I'd pay $8500-$9000 for a 50" wide quad I could decide on what shock package I wanted.

Think custom with a factory warranty.

TPR

I dont think they would give you warranty for a bike intended to be raced, but i think the custom idea would be kinda cool but then they would need to make each order seperatley and we know they wouldnt do that.but if they just make two quads one mx ready and the other with the same frame and engine just different suspension that would be perfect.

does anyone remember that mock up 250r from april dirtwheels? I think they should do something like that lol. Ive lost the magazine but if anyone has the article and they can post it up that would be cool. It had a frame like the crf250 and probably Efi, that would be an awesome new 450.

stoopidbot
12-31-2008, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
I dont think they would give you warranty for a bike intended to be raced, but i think the custom idea would be kinda cool but then they would need to make each order seperatley and we know they wouldnt do that.but if they just make two quads one mx ready and the other with the same frame and engine just different suspension that would be perfect.

does anyone remember that mock up 250r from april dirtwheels? I think they should do something like that lol. Ive lost the magazine but if anyone has the article and they can post it up that would be cool. It had a frame like the crf250 and probably Efi, that would be an awesome new 450. What you're speaking of was a Honda prototype. It would never/could never be released due to cost factors. It would sell for nearly the same price as the 400. And not many people other than people that do research would not pay the same price for a 250 when they can get a 400. It was the aluminum frame they will use on the new 450s and a CRF250 motor stuffed in. Complete with dual exhaust.

ThePhantomRider
12-31-2008, 09:56 AM
The other companies that have 50" wide machines have a full warranty.

As far as production goes, the a-arm assembly, axle and shock installs could have the variety of parts to make the different models. When a quad comes down the line the computer tells the installer what setup to put on a specific bike.

Doubt it would happen this way but it would be sweet.

TPR

motofreak2772
12-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by stoopidbot
What you're speaking of was a Honda prototype. It would never/could never be released due to cost factors. It would sell for nearly the same price as the 400. And not many people other than people that do research would not pay the same price for a 250 when they can get a 400. It was the aluminum frame they will use on the new 450s and a CRF250 motor stuffed in. Complete with dual exhaust.

Yeah I was saying why dont they use that but put a 450 engine in it. Then it could be overpriced and people will still buy it, and its not like it would be that much more probably like 8,000

12-31-2008, 02:01 PM
i they make new models i'll be looking to finance a new quad and selling the 400ex. I love my quad but if they change everything up and make it really nice why not. I wouldnt buy 1st year though gotta wait to see if there are any defects

stoopidbot
12-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I wouldnt buy 1st year though gotta wait to see if there are any defects They are using the CRF450 as the first year test dummie.

smw450r
01-29-2009, 08:10 PM
If you really wanted efi you could get it on your 450r now, but damn could you imagine the cost, i think they will come out with something in the next year or 2 since yamaha did the yfz450r, but who knows honda don't like upgrading there atvs, but look at the 06's and up that was a step in the right direction, plus the efi really didn't add much *** on the crf, ill stick with my carb untill i see some serious power change

HondaRaceReady
01-31-2009, 07:56 PM
The only advantages I see EFI giving, is the fact that you don't have to rejet for minor changes in the air/fuel ratio, and that its more fuel efficient. Other than that its just going to be a ***** to fix. You probably wont be able to fix it on your own unless you buy a very expensive scanner to figure out the problem. Chances are your dealership sucks too, so good like trying to fix your new EFI motor that you all wanted so bad.

dpizz450
01-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
The only advantages I see EFI giving, is the fact that you don't have to rejet for minor changes in the air/fuel ratio, and that its more fuel efficient. Other than that its just going to be a ***** to fix. You probably wont be able to fix it on your own unless you buy a very expensive scanner to figure out the problem. Chances are your dealership sucks too, so good like trying to fix your new EFI motor that you all wanted so bad.

agreed, ill stick to a carb anyday over EFI unless i see HUGE improvements from some new EFI.

smo0oth1
01-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady

I haven't heard of any problems with any of the bikes Honda has EFI on.

sunco
02-01-2009, 09:00 AM
I find it funny when you guys talk about the warranty issue.

Anyone knows that the factory warranty doesn't cover sh*t anyways. So a warranty shouldn't be a deciding factor as to what they put on a quad.

I speak from experience about factory warranties. :(

400exrider69
02-01-2009, 09:14 AM
I would hope in 2010 honda redoes everything in the atv line
the honda 90 needs a crf 150 motor so it's liquid cooled.
I don't know what to do with the 250ex but i would say the 300ex could use a upgraded crf 250x motor that's a 300cc stock and if they could throw in reverse you'd have a racier engine for a mid sized quad.
The 400ex really needs an update liquid cooled for sure and mabe put a debored crf 450x motor in there and make it a 400 and you'd already have a woods ready motor and i really don't care if they added reverse on the 400ex.
and i don't think all the honda sport quads need to look alike i think they should all look different i can't tell a 400ex from a 450r sometimes.
if honda did this it'd make them top of the line agian
but time will tell

90x needs crf 150 moto
300ex needs crf 250 motor built into 300 with reverse gear added
400ex needs debored crf 450x motor and reverse gear dropped
450r don't need that much mabe a can-am approach woods and mx style models
this would help honda out big time

warriorxcr1
02-01-2009, 09:19 AM
if only we lived in a perfect world ^^^^^

02-01-2009, 09:43 AM
I noticed a lot at the AMA races EFI bikes are whoopin ***. The ones with carbs are take so much longer to start just keep kicking the EFI its like 1 kick and its moving. I agree with the quads needing to look different. That is why I loved 2004 so much every quad was different. The 300ex needed the change but I think the 250ex looks terrible after the 2006 change. The newest style 400ex is garbage too, throw that away.

stoopidbot
02-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
I noticed a lot at the AMA races EFI bikes are whoopin ***. The ones with carbs are take so much longer to start just keep kicking the EFI its like 1 kick and its moving. I agree with the quads needing to look different. That is why I loved 2004 so much every quad was different. The 300ex needed the change but I think the 250ex looks terrible after the 2006 change. The newest style 400ex is garbage too, throw that away. In the GNCC it is the opposite. When they have a dead motor start the EFI takes about a half second longer to start which puts all the carbed machines in the front for the holeshot.

maddmatt02
02-01-2009, 10:17 PM
I think 250ex should go to chain driven, not necessarily a large powerplant change. even though I dont know how much work it takes to switch over. for kids a 250ex is finee, but once you get used to it you can add as much power as you want, but you cant regear to take advantage. and it already has 22's so you cant even go up in tire size.

the 300ex, yeah, that could put a big bore 250x engine. a 280cc engine thats the new style would be nice.

400ex, maybe a completely new engine. if you used the 450r engine, not sure if you should de-stroke it and make it a somewhat to pend engine, or shrink the bore and make it a torquey 400, or a bit of both, and as the other guy said, reverse isnt needed.

and with the 450r I dont even think they need anything done with the engine, EFI might be nice but the FCR makes good power. if they just changed the plastics a bit, maybe a nice aluminum frame, offered the mx version and had more factory race parts, that would be enough for me.

trx450RacR#413
02-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Inside info I got from someone that works for Honda, don't count on a EFI bike anytime soon guys.

chevys&honda$
02-02-2009, 12:32 AM
good atleast i know i dont want efi, if my carb is screwed up i can pull it apart and fix it, and re-jetting is a 1hour job! not a big deal, if somthing screwed up with the efi i wounld'nt know the first thing about it !i would be dead in the water (sand)

07'trx450r
07'ltz400
86'lt250r
76'SS chev nova 350, 4speed
08'chev silverado

stoopidbot
02-02-2009, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by trx450RacR#413
Inside info I got from someone that works for Honda, don't count on a EFI bike anytime soon guys. My Honda source says the opposite. If they work all the bugs out of the CRF expect to see EFI next year or 2011.

maddmatt02
02-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by chevys&honda$
good atleast i know i dont want efi, if my carb is screwed up i can pull it apart and fix it, and re-jetting is a 1hour job! not a big deal, if somthing screwed up with the efi i wounld'nt know the first thing about it !i would be dead in the water (sand)

at least it isnt like a honda car with efi, IAT/MAP/IACV/o2/second o2/TPS/CAS/CTS/CFS/KS/etc/etc/etc...

I thought efi on bikes were really simple designs. well maybe not simple to work on, but a lot less to have to troubleshoot than if your cars efi started to give you prroblems. also started rethinking what I said about the 300, might turn some people away if all of their engines go to the design where adjusting the valves is lots more often, more difficult, oil changes more often, new top end more often, etc...

my uncle has a couple 250ex's from 04 and I doubt the oil is changed once a year, valves never get adjusted, nothing gets done to em but ride em, which is kinda sad, but they hold up. if I did that to the crf250x, I dont think Id be riding it very long.

warr72
02-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Think hard about what your wishing for with the efi and the tin foil frame. I have seen major amounts of money paid to have those latest and greatest bikes fixed. If I bust my 08 TRX up I can put it in my garage and fix anything on it. Everyone should know its alot of rider skill as well not just a decked out quad.

miles Machine
02-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Id welcome the EFI, I am a electronic person and personally find tuning an EFI system easier, but that's my personal preference and seeing that I build my own computers and am very good with electronics is probably the reason why. LOL

400exrider69
02-04-2009, 07:57 PM
efi would not help honda at all watch gncc racer's and see what get's the holeshot. I work out of my garage and don't have an idea of how efi works or how i'd fix it if it broke

miles Machine
02-04-2009, 08:31 PM
well just like when you didn't know how to read or write, guess what you did??
You learned, there is all kinda of info on the net and in books, that's how i learned.

Just like anything, something is doomed to fail or be difficult if that's your mentality.

400exrider69
02-04-2009, 08:39 PM
i can see how efi is fine for motocross but on gncc it always seems like the carbs quads get the holeshot. I've heard that efi will cut out when climbing hils. A freind had an 08 sportsman and efi would cut out in high gear on small hills. but it was all factory and would only do this on hills so that's what has made me stay away from the can-ams and the ltr because i'm still kinda waiting for the bugs to be worked out. I'm way behind the curve right now i'm sill on a 400ex
where did you learn to go for efi on quads and bikes

miles Machine
02-04-2009, 10:04 PM
just do general searches on google, ex. how does EFI work, what is EFI and as you go on your questions will become more intricate to specific aspects of the EFI system. Also I buy every atv mag i can find lol and there is usually good info in there

warr72
02-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Reliability is what sold me on my TRX and with a complete redesign of a quad usually entails that being diminished. So when the efi comes on board the TRX I will wait a year or two before "upgrading" so the bugs can be worked out. Plus it may take me that long to save up enough money to buy all new after market parts for the redesigned bike and all the new tools I will have to aquire to fix it. With anything "new" the cost factor weighs in. Oh by the way I have an electrical engineering degree so electronics I may have some knowledge of.