PDA

View Full Version : Honda 300EX Clutch Problems

thyman17
12-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Today I put my quad back together to get it ready for ice racing and i took it for a ride around the yard and the clutch seems to be slipping very bad. i adjusted it all the way out and nothing only catches when its idling. Is it time for a new clutch or does it just need an adjustment inside the case? I do alot of trail riding so it needs to be strong........

John451
12-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Did you take the clutch out when you rebuilt it?

thyman17
12-26-2008, 01:52 PM
When i rebuilt it I took out the clutch to put a new timming chain in. I got it to work today. I didnt have the bolts all the way down. I thought it was like my snowmobile where the bolts cant be too tight. It works great now. All i need is to fix the damn leaks and it will be all good

John451
12-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Ahh, 300ex leaks. haha good times.. my friends was shooting oill out from above the top of the clutch cover up about 3 feet because he broke the gear off the back of the clutch basket and it smashed the cover and warped it..

John451
12-26-2008, 02:46 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? THEY HAVE A KICKSTART CONVERSION FOR THE 300EX?!?!? GRRR.. Haha man u have no idea how much i would have wanted that.. What years your 300?

thyman17
12-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Its a 2000 There is no kit for it. I bought a 250X Motor And used the parts from it to make it work. wasnt hard at all. It took me about 3 hours to button everything up. Its nice to have since my battery died last summer. Works great one kick in 30 below zero and it fires right up. Im thinking of buying a new motor so i dont have to mess with all this junk on this one. But for now im gonna run it with a little leak.

John451
12-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by thyman17
Its a 2000 There is no kit for it. I bought a 250X Motor And used the parts from it to make it work. wasnt hard at all. It took me about 3 hours to button everything up. Its nice to have since my battery died last summer. Works great one kick in 30 below zero and it fires right up. Im thinking of buying a new motor so i dont have to mess with all this junk on this one. But for now im gonna run it with a little leak.

So you just put the cylinder and piston from the 300 in the 250? Did the motor bolt right in the frame? And does the 250 have electric backup? You defiantly have something going there, i wish i knew you could do that when i had my 300.. That's the best mod for the 300..

thyman17
12-29-2008, 10:34 PM
the 300ex stock motor bolts in the same as a 250x motor. The frames are litterly the same thing except the different wiring harnesses. I took the stock lower end from a 300ex and put a 250x top end with a 300ex cylinder. It has a slightly shaved head and new slightly bigger valves. I took the clutch cover from a 250x with kicker and put it on the 300 motor. all the 300 needed for parts was the gear and shaft that go behind the clutch. The 300ex case has all the holes for the shafts. It was a very easy install i could probally do a how-to eventually if i rebuild my whole motor. Its nice to have a kicker. Makes starting pretty easy.

John451
12-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah i hated the fact of only having electric because of all the what if's... That's funny though. Do the 250x's have a decompression lever? Because theres a hole in the 300ex's head above the valves where it would be.

thyman17
12-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Yea all the 250xs have the decompression lever but i just filled in the hole in the case so that it didnt need it. I got all the leaks fixed but today it wouldnt start when i got it on the ice so i think i flooded it or something i gotta make sure the timming is right and that it didnt skip a tooth.

John451
12-31-2008, 07:13 PM
yeah, i gota hit some oil leaks tomorow. I got a 50 for cheap money and got it running today after rings and valve adjust and i forgot to put an o-ring in and it's literally shooting oil out of the bottom. Also got throttle problems cuz its runnin 3/4 throttle the wholle time and its semi auto so wen u put it in gear it flips over haha. And Where is there ice to ride on this time of year?!?!?!?

thyman17
01-01-2009, 12:29 AM
I live in wisconsin so we ride on lakes. We got a nice 1/4 mile oval track close to my place and lots of ppl come out to race. Theres over 2 ft of ice so we drive everything on the lake even our big 1 ton diesels. lol

John451
01-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Wow, i dont even have 3" lol. I always thought of wiscosin having the same weather as here in New Hampshire...

John451
01-01-2009, 08:44 PM
3" of ice that is hahaahaaha

John451
03-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Hey so back to the kikker conversion... what do u do about the electric start? can u still use it or do u like fill it in?

thyman17
03-06-2009, 09:43 PM
you can still use the electric start if you want i dont because of my battery otherwise i prolly would. I just blew up my quad again. the guy who bored my cylinder bored it too much making it very week causing it to crack from all the heat of the high compression piston. So now he is doing all the labor for free and im buying a new piston and sleeve and saving about 400 bucks for labor. but i still havent really ridden my quad grrr

John451
03-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Ah man that sucks. Thats good that hes doin it for free tho. Did any pieces break off into the crank? And what did you fill the starter hole with?

thyman17
03-07-2009, 12:54 PM
yea my quad locked up but luckily i wasnt going fast. im taking the whole motor apart again to make sure everything is out of it. Which is gonna be a pain. and as for the starter hole i left my starter in there otherwise you could prolly find a big bolt with a washer and use some RTV gasket maker and that would work..

John451
03-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Thats awesome though that you can just swap that stuff out to add kick start... hopefully there are enough 250x's for everyone lol. I defiantly woulda done that if i knew about it wen i had mine.. The electric start was always there for me though except when the spark plug went and i drained the battery tryin to start it.. But kick woulda been nice..

John451
03-19-2009, 11:15 AM
I just picked up a 300 this weekend and im defiantly doing the conversion. I boutght the side cover but i couldnt find the kick shaft and gears for under 40.. do you have one? And plus the kickker its self is like another 30. My battery, solenoid, and starter are junk so im just gona have it only kick.

John451
03-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Hey, I got all of the parts that i thought i needed to find out i need 2 other gears for the kick start? I got the cover, the lever, and the main rod with the splines for the lever with all the gears on it... Are there 2 other spearate gears that i need? Because the big gear didnt come close to the clutch basket.. It looks like there is a spot for one to the right of the gear for one and one below that under the clutch basket? If you get a new motor are you going to end up having spare starter parts? I keep running into stoopid problems with it.. What did you do with the oil line that goes around the clutch? on my cover it wants to connect directly with the other side without the drum thing? Did you have to mill that down some? I really appriciate all the help. Thank you. -John