PDA

View Full Version : sportsman reverse 4x4 issue

honda400ex2003
12-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Hey guys, so my grandpa has a 335 sportsman that goes into four wheel drive when in forward fine and everything works but then he shifts it into reverse and it does not. He hits the button and everything and he says they are not engaging at all. Of course I am not at home to look at it and he wanted me to look online to see if anyone had this problem and to check and see if any of the shafts are moving or not for the front. He does alot of plowing with it and noticed it this week since he is spinning the rears only. Any help would be great so let me know anything you might know!! Thanks in advance Steve!!

MX Quad Dad
12-27-2008, 06:13 AM
I have a Scrambler which had the same problem. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, It had something to do with the reverse switch. the switch was expensive and the local dealer didn't have one. I wanted to make sure everything else was working. so under the front cover there is a circut board. I fond the 4x4 terminal by haveing it runing while in foward with the 4x4 activated. checking each terminal with a test light, when it lit I would turn the 4x4 off , if the lite went off then I had the right one. I then fond a terminal that had power only with the key in the on position. then made a jumper to connect the two. It works just fine and the only differance I can see is that it stays in 4x4 demand mode while in neutral. It is still wired that way and haven't had any problems. but just to let you know, it is possible to overload a circut. so it isn't risk free. If you can trace down the circut that feeds the 4x4 before the reverse/neutral switch, that would be the one I would recomend

this was on a 1995 scrambler. so thing may be differant

honda400ex2003
12-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Sounds cool. I will look into it and check out the board. I think it is the switch too since he says the fourwheeler goes into reverse and runs fine without hitting the button at all now. thanks for the information on this thing. I have not dealt with any polaris' now since my dad had a 500 sportsman. thanks again, Steve