PDA

View Full Version : what should i do

bosshogg1
12-24-2008, 08:50 PM
hey guys I have a question about the cams i ride a ltr 450 but me an my boy just bought yam 450 an we have to rebuild the motor on both an we wanted to know which cam set up should we go with were not into the racing thing we just want alil more out of the bike an we dont want to mess with any racing gas i just found out that i dont have to buy both cams for my ltr should i buy both or just the intake for the yam:confused:

Ride1Rob
12-25-2008, 06:18 AM
If the head on the bike isn't ported the cams won't be used to their full potential. Basically you won't see the full gains of the cams. The stock cams on the Yami are good cams. I'd say save the money and do the portwork first. You'll see and feel better gains. This goes for your LTR also.

bosshogg1
12-26-2008, 10:43 AM
thanks for the info man so i should port an polish the head but leave the yam. cams in an do the same with the ltr when i put the intake hot cam :D

1socal450
12-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Man,I have a headache from reading that!How about a comma,or a period once in a while?:ermm:

Ride1Rob
12-26-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure how good the stock cams are for the LTR, but YES for the YFZ.

daddio
12-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Stock cams on both quads are good for 50 - 54 hp, and they are easier on the valve train.

On the YFZ, retard the exhaust 1 tooth.

With higher lift, more agressive cams, you will need stiffer springs, better valves, better valve seats and you will be rebuilding your head more frequently.

And of course, you will need the porting and matching pipe to get the most out of it.

For both quads, put your money into a better intake. Like the Fuel Customs.

bosshogg1
12-27-2008, 02:57 PM
so your sayin stay with the stock set up, what about the cdi box,sprocket change

06YFZ450SE
12-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by bosshogg1
so your sayin stay with the stock set up, what about the cdi box,sprocket change

Ive heard a higher rev CDI is just gonna hurt the motor in the long run. So I say there worthless on the YFZ450. Sprocket change is all up to you. Do you want topend or lowend power. I went with a 15 tooth front sprocket for more topend.Then I changed my rear tires to 18s so I got my lowend back some. I like my 15/38 gearing on my YFZ450.

daddio
12-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by bosshogg1

The GYTR cdi gives the YFZ it's intended full potential, without hurting it.

Change the sprockets to suit your riding style and tire size.