PDA

View Full Version : Getting new bike...Banshee or ...?

59bisquik
12-24-2008, 01:54 PM
First a little background... My wife and her parents have been duners for years. They grew up with 40hp VW rails and old school ATC's. My wife currently rides a 85 Kawi Tecate ATC and I pretty much stick to my rail. Chenowth 2LW frame with mid travel and 220hp Suby Turbo.

Last trip out, I broke a CV on my rail and got a bit more bike time. With very little ATV experience I am having trouble deciding on what I want to get. We headed off to comp hill at Dumont. Started off with a new Honda 400 quad...not very exciting. Then a few trips up on an 08 Honda 450 quad, much better! Last but not least, a few trips up on the wifes 250 2-stroke ATC. The 250 and 450 Honda both really felt good. I really liked the 2 stroke riding experience, but prefered the control and supsension of the 450 Honda. So the wife suggested a Banshee, 2 stoke manners and quad suspension.

The bike will see mainly dunes at Glamis and Dumont. Not a trail bike, no heavy desert use...mostly sand.

I have never ridden one and dont know anybody with one. Not sure if its the right bike for me or not. Just looking for suggestions and tips. I am looking to get one in Jan or Feb!

Blaze
12-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Well, banshees are good on the dunes, All in what you like though, if you want a two stroke quad then the banshee is the way to go, they make many upgrades and **** to make it look very sweet, and rip good :D

12-24-2008, 10:47 PM
The banshee was designed for one thing and one thing only.. dunes. And it sure as hell fulfilled it's duty.

It actually wasn't even intended to be made here on the east coast, but it was such popular demand they did.

That twin 350 with pipes, head, and a filter will walk all over any 450 with the same mods in the dunes. The fact it's a twin 2-stroke it's great. And the top end rev's way higher and hits way further up then the 250.

Basically, what im saying, is banshee is king of the dunes. Was when it came out and always will be.

trx250rider
12-25-2008, 07:15 AM
true...the banshee is king of the dunes but if you liked the feel of the atc and the handeling of the 450 you'd love the trx 250r

gmcsonomaex
12-25-2008, 08:36 PM
go with the shee the sheer open power will amaze you if you have never riden one you can upgrade and make 90 plus hp out of them all depends on how crazy you get but just simple stuff like reeds and a head and exhaust with carb work will improve alot and you can gwt wider and lower in the front with gas shocks and it will feel better than the 450.

800screws
12-26-2008, 06:40 AM
lt500? or lt250/500 hybrid?

check out quadracerhq.com lots of vids of the lastest quadzillathon...and lots of good info on making them reliable.

matter of fact, in the for sale section is a dr.q 87 top end for sale right now!

john w.
12-28-2008, 12:38 PM
You should try out a Banshee before you buy anything they are great dune quads but dont handle like a trx450r stock. I have a trx450r, atc250r, and a Banshee. When I go to the dunes the two strokes get the most ride time because the trx450r gets boring for me. I dont know you but it sounds like you want a two stroke quad I would look at Banshee's and Trx250r's. The Trx250r is a great quad and handles alot like a Trx450r but parts are just now getting a little hard to find. With a Banshee parts are easy to find and you can make it handle to your likeing with some money.