PDA

View Full Version : need help wit clutch pin

trx400 rider
12-24-2008, 07:14 AM
ok im puttin in a new clutch pin into my trx400 today can any one tell me some info how to do this thanx

12-24-2008, 08:14 AM
drain the oil, take off the side cover, scrape all of the old gasket material off, make sure you have a new gasket. take the broken parts out, one will be in the side case that you took off and for the other, you will need to remove the 5 bolts that hold the lifter plate on. do this in a circular pattern, only a few turns at a time on each bolt. there are springs under the bolts that keep pressure on the plate. left the plate off and take the broken piece out. put everything back together in opposite order. when you go to put the side cover back on, it will be tricky to have the clutch lever in the right place. i think this added about a half an hour to my total time when doing this. be patient and it will go on right

trx400 rider
12-24-2008, 08:22 AM
ok that oil i drain is that just the motor oil right

12-24-2008, 08:34 AM
nope, all of it as it would be better to replace all the oil with new oil...although you might be able to leave the oil in the tank. you will need to take the oil lines from the case off to get the side cover off.

might as well do a new filter too...

trx400 rider
12-24-2008, 10:44 AM
yes im puttin new oil in and oil filter up i took all the bolts out of the sisde cover but the cover will not come off its like glued or somthing

trx400 rider
12-24-2008, 10:59 AM
does anyone no y

NacsMXer
12-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by trx400 rider
yes im puttin new oil in and oil filter up i took all the bolts out of the sisde cover but the cover will not come off its like glued or somthing

They are all like this. The gasket is just "stuck" on there from all the heat cycles of the engine. Make sure the clutch arm is fully disengaged from the lifter pin by turning it counter-clockwise.

What you need to do is look at the very lower left hand corner of the clutch cover just to the left and below the circle-looking casting on the cover. I'm talking about the circle where the kickstart hole would be on the XR400 dirtbike. There is a little tab near there that you can pry against.

Still with me? Now feel the edge of the clutch cover and you will notice the little "tab" sticking out. Then take a long screwdriver and put the end of it on the tab. Pry against the swingarm until the clutch cover pops off. Go ahead and put a rag against the swinger if you don't want to scratch it up. It might take a few tries of prying but the cover will pop off ;)

12-24-2008, 12:48 PM
i can guarantee his clutch arm is disengaged from the lifter pin...his lifter pin is broke, that is the reason he is doing this...lol

Honda#4
12-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Make sure you dont loose the dowels in the clutch cover, there will be two. As far as the cover goes use a rubber malet and it should pop off.

NacsMXer
12-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i can guarantee his clutch arm is disengaged from the lifter pin...his lifter pin is broke, that is the reason he is doing this...lol

(smacks forehead)....duh, lol :rolleyes: :p

and yeah you can try a rubber mallet too like Honda#4 said. I tried that on mine and it didn't get me anywhere until I pried it off. But one way or another it'll come off.

trx400 rider
12-24-2008, 09:47 PM
yea thanx i got it off today after acouple hours lol but after that i got all it done in like 30 min