PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thought.....

Pappy
12-24-2008, 04:58 AM
I got an email last night based on my photography being seen. The person wanted to know if I would accept payment not for photographs, but to allow them to take pictures of my deer and wildlife. While many of the shots I do take are taken right here at home, many more are in the middle of nowhere, however it did start me thinking.

I could easily set up a few blinds here that would allow for almost non stop bird photography virtually year round for very little start up cost, with the blinds actually being one of the last expenses.

I know it sounds different, but after some searches and inquires last night, some places are charging up to $250 per day for just song birds and butterflies! Thats pretty good income even if just 3 or 4 people a week partake.

I would have to check into more insurance if indeed any would be needed beyond reasonable home howners coverage, and getting the word out is pretty easily done. And not to sound goofy, but being close to Washington/Baltimore lends itself to folks with alot of cash that travel out this way to photograph things but have no clue where to go and this could give them an almost garunteed shot at going home with shots they would spend months or years trying to obtain. And being an avid photog myself I know how hard it is to find places that cater to us. My wife even suggested gardens that attracted butterflies and such along with different plantings for just flower photogs etc.

Just kickin around some thoughts......its kind of weird for me thinking along these lines because usually either I am shooting pictures myself or using game on my land as food:p It could be quite lucritive?

ridered11
12-24-2008, 06:32 AM
sounds like a good opportunity to me. but to get a steady influx of customers wouldn't you need to install more feeders (as well as a supply of feed) to guarantee that customers would get what they came for, in regards to shots of wild life?

also if this increase in wildlife population on your property couldn't you do the same thing for hunting?

definitely sound like something I would do if i had the opportunity.

just my 2cents

<DRS>GPF
12-24-2008, 07:03 AM
considering what ive seen of your other pics, id think you do well.

scenic "scapes" would surely bring $$ as well..
alot of travel guides use them and general nature pics to attract vacationers.

you could also get on one of those "background" websites and pimp your pics.

"Pappy's 2009 Nature Calendar Collection"

Yippie-Ki-Yay
12-24-2008, 08:53 AM
I think you would do well. Dont know if i would want a bunch of city people roaming in my woods, but that just me. :p

Pappy
02-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Well its been a little while since I posted this, and I have begun the process of doing exactly what i had envisioned...even found a video of a felleer in NC that is doing well with this same thing. I picked up alot of tips from him.

I started off in the backyard with a feeder and set it up in a tree. I figured I had better see what all I was dealing with before throwing alot of work and effort into it. I was able to get some cool shots so I expanded by dragging a big 1/2 dead pine tree into a spot in teh woods that seems to always have decent light.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3433/3256250640_46f21a6879_o.jpg

Pappy
02-07-2009, 06:28 PM
After a few days, and getting fair results, I started planning on what I could do to make the spot look better in the pics and be more attractive to the birds.

This is a good shot, but its typical of most shots and to me just lacked that certain something that makes a good photo pop

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3321/3255445197_2cc2fa5094_o.jpg

Pappy
02-07-2009, 06:30 PM
So I grabbed my chainsaw and went to work collecting the tops of rotten trees that had fallen or needed to be dropped. Now I havent done a ton of shooting since adding the new elemnets but thats because I have started on 2 others locations:p

I think it makes a difference when your just not looking at twigs and branches. The tree the bird is on is one that i placed there.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3504/3258986234_821d2b8b8f_o.jpg

Quad18star
02-07-2009, 06:32 PM
I would give it a shot Ken . I mean it's an opportunity that isn't high risk really . If your insurance doesn't rise too much , then it's well worth it.. especially with the prices you say they pay for a day of shooting.

I'm still trying to convince Melodie with my little venture. She's not quite sure about it yet. More convincing is needed ( and begging lol)

Pappy
02-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Tomorrow we begin on the big spot that I think will end up being the prime location. It wont be finished overnight, might end up being an ongoing project as I continually tweak it and add elements to it. I have a spot about 50 yards x 75 yards that will be developed 100% to the birds and other small wildlife for the sole purpose of photography.

2 more locations will be constructed in the woods that will serve for birds/squirrels/turkey and deer, and I will do it in a way that doesnt take away from my hunting:p

We havent decided on how to build the blinds yet, so temporary blinds will be constructed to make sure they are in the right location and the right distance from the main area of focus. Once I know I have it dialed in, I will build nice blinds for me and whoever ends up shooting here.

I will move this over to the new photography section shortly.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3505/3258974614_acf2e41c95_o.jpg

Pappy
02-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I would give it a shot Ken . I mean it's an opportunity that isn't high risk really . If your insurance doesn't rise too much , then it's well worth it.. especially with the prices you say they pay for a day of shooting.

Well, so far I have time invested, and about $25 in seed and a few feeders. Most of the feeders will be natural and incorperated into the construction of the areas that I want to draw in the birds or other animals etc. The pic below...the bird has his head in a hole that i drilled and filled with sunflower seeds. When he lifts his head I have a picture that doesnt show any feed or feeder.

If nothing ever comes out of it, I will atleast have spots here that I can photograph and sell as I have been doing!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3504/3261252567_00052321f7_o.jpg

Quad18star
02-07-2009, 09:17 PM
You should see some of the birds that have been attracted to the feeders my dad sets up at his place every winter. He goes through a 20 lbs bag of seed every week to feed "his" birds. I have no clue what kind they are ... but he's got some nice looking birds that show up. Some are bright red , a few blue jays , woodpeckers , whisky jacks, some little yellow birds .. squirrels and even raccoons have made their way to the feeders. LOL

Pappy
02-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Yep, birding is huge.

I had to set the boys down and tell them that anything inside the "safe" zone doesnt get a hole in it inless I ok it from here on out:p Cody regularly stands on the back steps and will shot 4 or 5 squirrels with his bow:eek2: Not uncommon to come home and see him skinning them or walk in and see them in a skillet:D

Coons and Possums...well they are fair game due to us trying to keep their numbers down so the Grouse and Turkey nests dont get hit, but we dont see many of them during the daylight unless we are checking traps.

The deer will love whatever I do, and hopefully we can get the numbers up on everything else. I will plant more to attract the birds and Butterflies as well, flowers, other seed bearing plants etc that will benefit everything. It has been 5 years and counting since we moved in and are probably at a great point to start this as we have been clearing trash(brush etc) since day 1.

Should be fun no matter what. I would love to have a pond involved, a small one etc like they have in flower gardens....anyone know about them?

bradley300
02-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I got an email last night based on my photography being seen. The person wanted to know if I would accept payment not for photographs, but to allow them to take pictures of my deer and wildlife. While many of the shots I do take are taken right here at home, many more are in the middle of nowhere, however it did start me thinking.

I could easily set up a few blinds here that would allow for almost non stop bird photography virtually year round for very little start up cost, with the blinds actually being one of the last expenses.

I know it sounds different, but after some searches and inquires last night, some places are charging up to $250 per day for just song birds and butterflies! Thats pretty good income even if just 3 or 4 people a week partake.

I would have to check into more insurance if indeed any would be needed beyond reasonable home howners coverage, and getting the word out is pretty easily done. And not to sound goofy, but being close to Washington/Baltimore lends itself to folks with alot of cash that travel out this way to photograph things but have no clue where to go and this could give them an almost garunteed shot at going home with shots they would spend months or years trying to obtain. And being an avid photog myself I know how hard it is to find places that cater to us. My wife even suggested gardens that attracted butterflies and such along with different plantings for just flower photogs etc.

Just kickin around some thoughts......its kind of weird for me thinking along these lines because usually either I am shooting pictures myself or using game on my land as food:p It could be quite lucritive?

you could probably make a killing off wildlife calenders and such

dirtbike&quad
02-07-2009, 10:31 PM
why not build a pond yourself? i'm sure you have tractors, just bring one out there and start digging. use whatever dirt for a nice jump for cody's track...kill 2 birds with one stone. no pun inteaded there with this bird thread

Pappy
02-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
you could probably make a killing off wildlife calenders and such

Calendars are hot and cold.

Most are made using stock images that pay the photographer very very little and the whole deal is handled by a publisher.

If a photog tries to do his own, the costs are pretty high with no garuntee of even a bare minimum of sales to break even. Ive had several people want me to do racing calenders, but its the same thing and I would have to get property and model releases from every person recognizable in the photos, and from every company with a logo in the shots as well. It can be done, but I dont think I am the right man for the job as far as poutting it all together.

Pappy
02-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by dirtbike&quad
why not build a pond yourself? i'm sure you have tractors, just bring one out there and start digging. use whatever dirt for a nice jump for cody's track...kill 2 birds with one stone. no pun inteaded there with this bird thread

I dont have a spring in the right spot for a real pond...I would love to have one trust me. 3 of my neighbors do, but they have springs in the right spot:p

What I am thinking is to make a pond that is very small really, like the ones you see in larger flower gardens installed by landscapers etc. I could make it look real enough (like a section of a real stream) but dont really know how they work. Fresh water needs to be flowing but I dont have the funds to plumb a water line outdoors and I am on well water so I would be hestitant due to any problems that could arise and run my well dry:scary:

Keep in mind that my working distances to birds and such runs 5 to 15 feet. Thats how close I have to be to fill the frame. So even though one of those garden style ponds are relatively small, with the addition of some natural creek stones and landscaping, I could easily pull off shots that appear to be taken along a stream. I hope that all makes sense:p

bradley300
02-07-2009, 10:46 PM
pretty sure its just an electric pump, the same 100 gallans or so just keeps cylcing thru a filter to the top, gravity brings it back down

timmybreakitall
02-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Kenny, your past work shows you have a gift. Many influential people that I know use that gift and diversify. Good equiptment helps but an eye for the shot is something not taught. "Spead your wings" the sky is the limit.

JAG Motosports
02-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
What I am thinking is to make a pond that is very small really, like the ones you see in larger flower gardens installed by landscapers etc. I could make it look real enough (like a section of a real stream) but dont really know how they work. Fresh water needs to be flowing but I dont have the funds to plumb a water line outdoors and I am on well water so I would be hestitant due to any problems that could arise and run my well dry:scary:

They just recirculate. Liner, pump, rock and your good to go. It's not hard...just a few tricks. I have built over 200 ponds. pm me if I can be of any help.

Pappy
02-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by timmybreakitall
Kenny, your past work shows you have a gift. Many influential people that I know use that gift and diversify. Good equiptment helps but an eye for the shot is something not taught. "Spead your wings" the sky is the limit.

Thanks for the kind words Tim....I just set out to do my best and learn all I can:p

Thanks JAG....I may hit you up when I am ready to start laying out this thing

Cody and I built a better blind today at location #2. Works great but some of the things we used to camo it up (trimmed pine limbs) was blocking my flash and I didnt catch it so 45 minutes of shooting turned out so so:p

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3490/3263653191_9ca7949737_o.jpg

Quad18star
02-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Ken , your "so so" photography still looks great. I sometimes find shots with a little less lighting turn out better than ones that have a full flash ... but that's just me.

Pappy
02-17-2009, 03:46 AM
We started on our main area yesterday as the power was still on and off due to the wind. The choice was made a little easier due to 3 70ft pine trees that came down in the storm:p It opened up the area and I should not have any issues with light now with the trees gone.

We started by building a 25 foot long stone wall, made with rocks we gathered from our 2 streams. I had the poor ranger loaded and Cody had to sit on the front of it to keep the wheels on the ground to make turns:p

I will try and get a pic of the progress today, and we will continue the wall as a border, but for right now its a start. I will also start collecting items for placement inside the area as time goes on. We want to build a section or two of fence, the type that was used back during the civil war era along the front of the area as well.