PDA

View Full Version : Elka shock owners

Nate Dogg #76
12-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Elka has offered me a sponsor deal and I am thinking about running the standard travel Elite shocks for mx. What are your honest opionions? Please, only answer if you have run these shocks. Thanks

rollie
12-23-2008, 10:27 AM
there wayyy better than stock, but from the factory they don't come valved very well, if you have them rebuild to your specs though they will be great, alot of people say they suck but i liked mine and a buddy of mine has them on his 450 and they where just as nice as my fox floats.

powermadd400ex
12-23-2008, 10:44 AM
holy crap your lucky, i love my standard travel elkas.

ricksmx865
12-23-2008, 05:26 PM
my buddy has standard travel elites on his 450r, had them serviced and revalved by moto-xperts and they are night and day difference.

I think theyre for sale now too, he's goin with LT

soyo
12-23-2008, 09:32 PM
theres a reason why pros or most a riders dont run them!! and a reason why the kawi team dropped them!! way to soft! these are entry level shocks, once you start going faster you will understand what im saying!

KEVIN132
12-23-2008, 10:00 PM
i love my elka elite lt !! never have had a problem with them :D

godzilla
12-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by soyo
theres a reason why pros or most a riders dont run them!! and a reason why the kawi team dropped them!! way to soft! these are entry level shocks, once you start going faster you will understand what im saying!

You obviously have absolutely no clue as to what happened between Kawa and Elka, so before spewing garbage about something you know nothing about, I suggest you get off the Elka bashing bandwagon and re-verify your sources.

12-24-2008, 09:04 AM
The Elka front shocks (elite or factory) are bada** never had a problem with them the only problem i had with elka shocks was the rear end i could never get the bike to ride smooth with their rear linkage. I had the 05 single link the 05 pro dual link and the 06 pro dual link and i could never get them right. i was also sponsored by Elka for the last 3 years but recently switched cause of this problem. but i have rode a bike with a walsh rear end and it worked really well. There is nothing wrong with elka shocks people dont like them cause everyone has them and people like whats differnt. stick with them and im sure you will not regret doing so.

soyo get your s*** together "way to soft" im pretty sure thats not the reason they switched use your head.

kbass24emtp
12-24-2008, 10:48 AM
I have Elka's and really like them. I had mine revalved by Santo DeRisi, and what a difference. The only thing I did not like about them was that my front shaft seals leaked all the time when I rode. I just had Santo rebuild them and he put different shaft seals in that will not leak. Elka uses a seal that is kind of like a X-ring seal. It had two small sealing surfaces instead of one large sealing surface, and does not really seal well. It funny, my brother has Elka shocks and his front shocks have never leaked, but mine did. If your going to race MX I would go with longtravel, it gives the shock builder more wiggle room on the valving. The reason I had Santo revalve my shock was I changed a-arms. If they are going to give you a good deal, I would go for it. Elka does have very good customer service, and if your not happy with your shocks they will do alot to help you out.

12-24-2008, 11:43 AM
I would take the sponsorship because Elka is better than nothing and if your getting a discount why not. I hear a lot their valving is too generic which is why they dont perform as well but a rebuild I would think would make them great shocks. Are there any other suspension companies sponsoring you or willing to?

Nate Dogg #76
12-24-2008, 02:57 PM
I have another deal with Houser that gives a choice between Elka, Fox, Axis and Ohlins. But, the Elka deal is better. I think I'll go with standard travel because it will cost me alot more to go with long travel. I'll have to buy new arms and swingarm when I already have standard travel. Maybe I can do some begging and borrowing to get long travel.lol

Dave400ex
12-24-2008, 07:09 PM
I had them and would never buy them again. For the prices they charge, Fox are night and day better. I had full Elites too, revalved and still weren't as good as my EXIT shocks from ARS-FX out of the box. I think a lot of it has to do with the rear linkage you run, meaning their linkages are not the way to go. I've heard nothing but good about Fox and the rear Teixeira Tech linkage that uses the stock swingarm. Plus after Moto-Xperts does mods to the front and rear Fox shocks they are on even a whole nother level then how they come from Fox.

motoguy450r
12-24-2008, 07:25 PM
you will probably be happier with the fox shocks especially in a standard travel, but you have to go with what you think is the best deal for you. i have a r with elka elites that i casually race(practice bike) standard travel elites are entry level beginner shocks, you will not be able to go faster, jump harder or farther without making some big riding changes which will be bad habits when you go long travel not to mention the damage to your bike and body while trying to compete with ppl who are on long travel and know how to use it. from the factory you will more than likely have to get them rebuilt to your likings, at first when you bolt them on they will feel great, but then you will start finding out what you dislike about them and then you'll have to find someone to set them up for you. best thing to do is call houser and sweet talk jessica into giving you some long travel stuff. good luck.

Nate Dogg #76
12-29-2008, 05:09 PM
?

wayne0169
12-29-2008, 06:47 PM
i have long travel elites with lonestar dc4 and love them also have the long travel real with pro link and its all good

infantry317
01-01-2009, 07:36 AM
I ran Elka on my 450R and YFZ, my buddies ran PEP, I was SO p!ssed at myself that I was too impatient to wait for PEPs. They are worth the wait!