PDA

View Full Version : WILD IDEA audi>mustang head unit swap

jesseweaver
12-22-2008, 10:54 PM
My friend just got a bad a dvd/nav headunit for is 2003 A4. hes not using his old head unit so... any chance someone could somehow rig it up to go in my 2003 mustang? it looks like it could fit decently but i have no clue what im doing with head units and electronics/wiring/etc... would it all hook up right with not many mods? id definatley get a shop to install it so its done right. i just dont want to look like an idiot walking in and asking if it'd work.

12-22-2008, 11:47 PM
i dont think you can buy an adapter for car model to car model if its factory head unit. You can just splice the wires because they should be the same colors. There quite a few wires to splice, if you go aftermarket theres plug n play adapters no splicing 20 wires. I just got a head unit and i'm thinking of selling it to get a HD radio one.

12-23-2008, 12:15 AM
What year are both the cars? In England pretty much all cars after a certain year have "ISO" plugs on them and this allows nearly any head unit to fit in any car.

I it is a standart "Din" size dash apparture and the dvd/ nav unit is a stand alone unit it will fit but if it uses the factory wireing loom and has remote boxes in the boot and under the dash, you have a problem.

jesseweaver
12-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Ikilla2
What year are both the cars? In England pretty much all cars after a certain year have "ISO" plugs on them and this allows nearly any head unit to fit in any car.

both cars are 2003s. i'd like to eventually get a nice headunit with DVD and navigation, but for right now i could get this thing for free probably so im going to try and put it in

XCRacer236
12-23-2008, 10:09 AM
a store so its done right!? please tell me you dont mean Best Buy or Circuit City...

mineralgrey01gt
12-23-2008, 10:27 AM
It may work but id have to see the radio itself and also you would have to get the plug for the back of the audi radio so that you can splice in the 2 harnesses together.

Just try to find that audi radio plug and get the harness that you need for an aftermarket radio that will plug into your mustang wiring harness. Find a wiring diagram of each and simply wire them together.

What system do you have your mustang? mach 460, mach 1000? or did it not come with a mach system.

CDALEMX301
12-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by CaseDawg350
a store so its done right!? please tell me you dont mean Best Buy or Circuit City...

And your issue with having BBY or CC do an install would be?

The fact that the guys are well trained? I know of two installers and one former installer at the Best Buy I work at that could probably do equal if not better work then any shop you would bring your car too...Not only are they trained and do good work but all work is warrentied as well...So please explain to me what your issue with have a Best Buy or Circuit install may be?

jesseweaver
12-23-2008, 01:30 PM
i know a guy he always hooks me up with good shops and stuff to install stuff. i wouldnt go to best buy or circuit city. im not afraid to pay to get it done right.

and im not sure what my sound system but im almost 100% sure its not Mach. its a factory unit on the base model V6, i think the mach units came factory on the mach 1s and cobras.

CDALEMX301
12-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Is the audi unit double din? I know my 07 as well as my buddies 01 gt both have double din decks so I am sure your v6 has a double din as well...If the audi is not a true double din it could be a funky size...my boss drives an acura the head unit is designed specifically for the car...if the Audi is like that you may run into some issues where they need to build a custom pocket for it...On the electronics aspect of it call a local shop and ask if it is something that is possible...

jesseweaver
12-23-2008, 05:56 PM
yea ill probably talk to some people after i get back from vermont and see how hard it would be

dbc112
12-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Is it the bose system? If so, trash it.