PDA

View Full Version : Am I nuts or is this a good deal? 400ex for 700r

alping45
12-22-2008, 06:55 PM
So I've got an '07 400ex that I bought brand new in may with the mods in my sig and a few others, and I found a guy willing to swap his '06 Raptor 700r with hmf complete exhaust, hmf optimizer fuel inj. programer, dg bumper, grab bar pro taper bars, lonestar bearing carrier,
g-force adj. axel pro design air intake k&n air filter razr tires flame radiator guard shock covers armodilo a-arm, swingarm, and chasis skidplates,
all for my 400ex with $250 in cash.

Is this an crazy deal or am I missing something? I do love my EX and have never ridden a raptor but I am very intrigued. Should I go for it or not?

12-22-2008, 07:02 PM
I myself am not a fan of craptors

powermadd400ex
12-22-2008, 07:05 PM
idk i would look at it and make sure its in good condition. and definatly ride it to make sure it is worth trading your 400 for.

nicker71
12-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Yes, it is a good deal unless the raptor is all torn up.

alping45
12-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I myself am not a fan of craptors

No? How come? Did you ever own one? What didn't you like about it?

alping45
12-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by nicker71
Yes, it is a good deal unless the raptor is all torn up.

I haven't seen it in person, the guy is about 100mi's away, but it looked pretty nice in the pics he sent me. I am still waiting for him to email me back, I asked him about the condition and if he knew how many hrs, if it was raced etc...

exrider272
12-22-2008, 07:57 PM
lol if u could buy it out right for 3k i would do it..
cuz thats a crazy deal..
seen that on pennswoods? right.

powermadd400ex
12-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by alping45

no he just is biased to anything but honda.

alping45
12-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Yup thats the one. I def would buy it outright, I've got the cash but am working on closing a house so dont want to spend alot of $$ right now. Allthough I cold probably sell my 400ex and atleast get my money back.

Originally posted by exrider272
lol if u could buy it out right for 3k i would do it..
cuz thats a crazy deal..
seen that on pennswoods? right.

alping45
12-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
no he just is biased to anything but honda.

Guess thats what I get for posting in a honda forum
:D

elmer91
12-22-2008, 08:26 PM
it sounds like a good deal, but if it was me i would be keeping the 400.

i am a honda man, but i have ridden a raptor. i thought the center of gravity was real high, which i didnt like. and it may of just been the one i was riding, but it seemed sluggish, and didnt have any get-up-and-go.

alping45
12-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by elmer91

i am a honda man, but i have ridden a raptor. i thought the center of gravity was real high, which i didnt like. and it may of just been the one i was riding, but it seemed sluggish, and didnt have any get-up-and-go.

What year was it? Because I have heard the ergonomics and handling of the '06 and up 700r are way better than the previous 660r.

elmer91
12-22-2008, 08:45 PM
i dont remember the year, but i know it wasnt that new.

12-22-2008, 08:47 PM

I have never nor will I own one. 1 they seem tankish, 2 i think they are terrible looking, 3 what is good about them?

alping45
12-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Their only TEN POUNDS heavier than my 400 yet have 286 mor cc's, thats whats good about them :D
I think their pretty wicked looking myself. I really would like to see what the handling is like though because I just love the way my 400 handles. Used to have a z400 and hated it.

I have never nor will I own one. 1 they seem tankish, 2 i think they are terrible looking, 3 what is good about them? :D

powermadd400ex
12-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Their only TEN POUNDS heavier than my 400 yet have 286 mor cc's, thats whats good about them :D
I think their pretty wicked looking myself. I really would like to see what the handling is like though because I just love the way my 400 handles. Used to have a z400 and hated it.

:D

i have never rode a rappy, but used to be in love with them. my buddy has a Z and i hate it compared to my 400. it feels so top heavy. but back to the raptor, does it have the piggyback shocks? it shouldnt be as tippy as the 660s since yamaha made the 700r wider.

smelly$cat
12-22-2008, 10:59 PM
The new 700's are pretty sweet. My EX is very built and I got it handed to me pretty good by a piped/filtered 700 with a EFI controller as the only mods I was aware of. Wicked fast...

brian76708
12-22-2008, 11:34 PM
I have never nor will I own one. 1 they seem tankish, 2 i think they are terrible looking, 3 what is good about them?

1) they seem have you ever ridden one before then but i do agree they are top heavy but you get used to it

2 is just a personal preference

3. i think there better trail/dunes quad then the 400ex better suspension more power. gear them down and throw a exhaust on them and they will tear the 400 apart.

CSR400EX
12-23-2008, 01:02 AM
i have ridden a few raptor 700's, they dont feel quite as top heavy as a 660, they are pretty quick from the factory and doesnt take much to make them fast (pipe and PC). sounds like a deal to me.

Honda10
12-23-2008, 07:50 AM
It sounds like a good deal but I only like raptors if they have wide arms and axle on them cuz then they get lower and have a lower center of gravity and they are pretty sweet looking. but stock they are just too tall looking.

bigredisb
12-23-2008, 07:50 AM
I would be careful. The raptor could be stolen. This is an easy way to dump a stolen quad. I would have him present a clean title to look at before I would pull the trigger. If you do get it and don't like it simply trade someone for a 07 400ex.

alping45
12-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by bigredisb
I would be careful. The raptor could be stolen. This is an easy way to dump a stolen quad. I would have him present a clean title to look at before I would pull the trigger. If you do get it and don't like it simply trade someone for a 07 400ex.

Not a bad idea. I do get a strange feeling from this guy, he has not been very response or informative.

12-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Don't listen to foxhondarider talk you out of it. If it's not yamaha it's a total piece of crap.:rolleyes:

"I have never nor will I own one. 1 they seem tankish, 2 i think they are terrible looking, 3 what is good about them?"

Answered in order.
How are they tankish? They are only 10 LBS HEAVIER than the 400ex. I guess the 700xx which you love so much is like an aircraft carrier?

Terrible looking? That's personal preference. Many people including myself think they look like one of the most bad @ss quads.

Let's see. 700cc monster powerplant, 10x better suspension then the 400ex, looks, upgrades, and just as a whole in general.

Please don't post when you OBVIOUSLY have never ridden one, and don't have anything good to say.

Back to the trade. If the raptor is clean and legit (not stolen) then I would say do it. If it's beat up then turn away from it.

Ryan'07400ex
12-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by elmer91

I know for a fact the raptor 700r will beat a 400ex (both stock) my friend and I have 400ex's and my other friend has raptor and we switched bikes and the raptor would always pull away in 5th gear but take off was about equal. It seemed the raptors front end wouldn't stay down haha.

Ryan'07400ex
12-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Suspension seems alot softer than stock 400's to

12-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
Don't listen to foxhondarider talk you out of it. If it's not yamaha it's a total piece of crap.:rolleyes:

"I have never nor will I own one. 1 they seem tankish, 2 i think they are terrible looking, 3 what is good about them?"

Answered in order.
How are they tankish? They are only 10 LBS HEAVIER than the 400ex. I guess the 700xx which you love so much is like an aircraft carrier?

Terrible looking? That's personal preference. Many people including myself think they look like one of the most bad @ss quads.

Let's see. 700cc monster powerplant, 10x better suspension then the 400ex, looks, upgrades, and just as a whole in general.

Please don't post when you OBVIOUSLY have never ridden one, and don't have anything good to say.

Back to the trade. If the raptor is clean and legit (not stolen) then I would say do it. If it's beat up then turn away from it.

so your saying anything other than yamaha is crap? Tankish not by weight but the feel and looks. 10x better suspension? really? So 400ex PEP,AXIS,FOX must not even be close to the stock raptor. The 700xx when you sit on it feels almost smaller than the 400ex. Then if you want to race quads your the outcast if you go bigger than 450cc. I hope your not saying to me not to post because I havent ridden one because your wrong there kid.

12-23-2008, 03:16 PM
so your saying anything other than yamaha is crap? Tankish not by weight but the feel and looks. 10x better suspension? really? So 400ex PEP,AXIS,FOX must not even be close to the stock raptor. The 700xx when you sit on it feels almost smaller than the 400ex. Then if you want to race quads your the outcast if you go bigger than 450cc. I hope your not saying to me not to post because I havent ridden one because your wrong there kid.

Typo.
And seriously.. you have to be stupid to think I was talking about aftermarket suspension. STOCK not aftermarket. You can put aftermarket on any quad. As far as stock, even the stock 06 basic shock outpreforms the 400ex's.

The raptor 700 didn't feel like a tank to me. It feels about the same as the 400ex.
And obviously he's not worried about racing. so that has nothing to do with anything.

And lastly don't call me kid. What.. maybe im a year younger then you?

Back on topic, those of you that only rode the 660, the 700 is way different. They completely redesigned it so that it's lower and wider, and the engine is all new. The old 660's were more torque then anything.

12-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
And lastly don't call me kid. What.. maybe im a year younger then you?

alright sorry. I thought your only 14?

powermadd400ex
12-23-2008, 04:40 PM

who cares.

get back to the original topic.
have you heard anything from the guy about a title yet alping?

alping45
12-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
who cares.

get back to the original topic.
have you heard anything from the guy about a title yet alping?

Nope, not yet. He seems to be very slow at responding to emails and I don't have a phone #.

rcatvrider
12-23-2008, 05:38 PM
That would be a toughy. If you have no emotional connection to the 400 then I would probably go with the rappy if it's in equal shape. Better stock suspension and alot more power.

12-23-2008, 05:40 PM

And yes, lets please stay on topic.

I think this guy may be full of chit. Whenever someone wants to trade me something nicer, I always say to myself, "If it's so good, why is he trading for my 400ex"

Usually there's something else. Some people may just be scared of the power and honestly want to trade, but Im guessing it's either stolen or beat up. Something to that effect.

Plus it may be the typical craigslister who emails back but then never heard of. I have had that happen before.:ermm:

alping45
12-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Oh and actually i've got 450r shocks on the ex, I just love them compared to stock. Anyone know how they would compare with the raptors shocks?

BTW, how do I update my sig again? Can't remember and I've added a few mods since then.

Pipeless416
12-23-2008, 09:57 PM
im gonna jump on with everybody else and say go for it.. BUT like others have said, he the guy does end up getting back to you, make sure he has a title in hand and look it over carefully. also, ride it and pay attention to how it shifts and everything else. look it over as thoroughly as you can. if i weren't so attached to my 400 i would trade in a second.. it just kind of seems like its one of those "too good to be true..or legal" things. oh, and click on user cp, then edit profile or something along the lines of that.

Honda10
12-24-2008, 07:54 AM
try and get the vin number from him and have the department look up its history.

alping45
12-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Well the guy finally got back to me, didn't answer all my questions, but did say he has the title, the quads in great shape and was only ridden a couple times a month. So I think I'm gonna give it a go, I'm trying to arrange a time for me to drive down to inspect it and take it for a ride.