PDA

View Full Version : Valve keeper fell into the abyss of the engine

metalmind342
12-22-2008, 05:46 PM
I was doing valve seals and as i was putting the valve keeper back on, it slipped out and fell down where the timing chain is. Where could it have gone? I cant spot it anywhere so im thinking its down in the crank case with the oil. Any other places i should check before i drain the oil and try to sort through it?

Edit: Putting everything back together now, i plan to reuse the valve cover gasket with some rtv on both sides of the gasket, does that sound alright? The clutch cover gasket is shot and can not be reused, does anyone just use a bead of rtv for that or do i have to go out and buy the $40 gasket from honda?

2muchquad
12-22-2008, 06:49 PM
it looks like your gonna have to pull the clutch cover,i know its a pain in the *** but there really is no easy way if you cant get it with a telescoping magnet from up top.

buck440
12-22-2008, 08:59 PM
now that sucks :macho

metalmind342
12-23-2008, 11:08 AM
great, alright thanks for the advice. Ill have to wait a couple days for the weather to warm up a tad.

soyo
12-23-2008, 09:27 PM
why was you even changing valve seals with the head still on the bike??!!!

Pipeless416
12-23-2008, 09:40 PM
yea pop the clutch cover and its probably just sitting on the bottom, or sitting around the oil pump. no big deal.. you'll probably need a new gasket, but assuming all goes well with that it can be finished in half an hour. :)

metalmind342
12-24-2008, 03:30 PM
well i found it, i pulled the clutch cover and looked all around and couldnt find it. So i stuck a magnet it around and wudda ya know it was sitting behind the oil pump below the sprocket on the crank. I would have never seen it.
The seals are now done. Thanks for the help.

400exrider707
12-24-2008, 10:19 PM
I was going to suggest just sticking a magnet down in there without pulling the clutch cover off, but looks like you already took care of it...

Oh well at least you found it! breathe a sigh of relief!

metalmind342
12-25-2008, 01:36 AM
i stuck i magnet down the head with out pulling the clutch cover for a couple minutes. But there isnt much room to manuver the magnet. Plus is was directly below the crank so the magnet wouldnt have been able to reach it even if it had room to get down there. I couldnt even see it when the clutch cover was off. I just stuck the magnet in there behind the oil pump and got lucky.