PDA

View Full Version : truck guys.....

SRH
12-22-2008, 03:21 PM
well some of you might of read i got paralyzed over the summer.... anyway im getting anxious to drive again, im selling my van and my single cab ranger , then im buying another vehicle

heres my dillema i was looking at a sedan , a newer 300 or a cadillac sts or cts....i really dont want to sink that much into a car since im a truck guy really, i do salvage and im always pickin up machines so id have to trailer with a car....

the reason i was looking at cars is due to the wheel chair i need to be able to transfer in and out, and the seat heights have to be similar and have to be able to put my wheelchair in, so the small suicide door on a extended cab ford or chevy would be real handy i could slide my chair in behind the seat and go if
if i could get the truck low enough..... im not a big offroad driver, so lowering it wouldnt be a big problem gravel driveway is as far offroad as i go

heres my questions whats it cost to lower a truck such as a ranger, silverado, or f 150? ive seen bag kits too where they drop then raise when you get in, im guessing this is pricy

i have a 2 wheel single cab and i could prob get in easily if it were only 3 inches lower, i can get in it now but its crammed

i was looking at a 2 wheel drive ex cab ranger lower it down some
or a silverado 1500 ext cab 2 wheel drive or a f 150

now my other question, could i drop a 4x4 enough without having issues with the axles?

i dont want the truck to handle like *** but i dont want to spend thousands and thousands dropping it if i dont have to

416exfreak
12-22-2008, 05:06 PM
You can drop 2wd trucks relatively easy.

I dont know about 4wd trucks though...

<a href="http://www.djmsuspension.com/applications/ford%20apps.html#f150">DJM Ford products</a>

<a href="http://www.djmsuspension.com/applications/chevy%20apps.html">DJM Chevy products</a>

Check those out, that should help you.

Good luck!:)

SRH
12-22-2008, 05:32 PM
thanks are there prices anywhere?

i see it makes no mention of the axles for 4wd kit...anyone know about slammin a 4x4? ideally id like 05 and newer f 150 4x4

derekhonda
12-22-2008, 05:36 PM
I also have limited to no knowledge of dropping trucks, lifting i can hold my own.

If I were in your shoes, and if it is possible, I would get a 4x4 and put bags on it. Drop it down when you are entering and exiting, raise it up to drive and you'll still have 4 wheel drive and some height if it snows ect.

derekhonda
12-22-2008, 05:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugicEN4OAKQ&feature=related

mineralgrey01gt
12-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugicEN4OAKQ&feature=related

thats still high for a person in a wheel chair to get into

Go to www.mautofied.com and look around and see what they have for sale in your area. There are a ton of bagged trucks in there for sale (a lot of them are expensive but others are cheap enough)

derekhonda
12-22-2008, 05:58 PM
No i realize he will not be going that big, but barring some kind of a bind, it is possible on a 4x4 and that is the route i would go.

dirtbike&quad
12-22-2008, 06:03 PM
a guy in the business known as slammed1 does a bunch of drops (i think only dodges, not sure though) and its not expensive, you wouldnt have to spend thousands...you can lower a 4x4 truck as easily as a 2x4...being youre in a wheel chair i doubt you'd be doing the work yourself anyways, a shop would probably charge the same for either 2x4 or 4x4...most say with the drop, it rides better and more smoothly. good luck to you, it shouldnt be too bad

SRH
12-22-2008, 10:43 PM
the airbags would be ideal for what i want, just im sure the cost is very high.... but i havent been able to find much info online
id love to get a fullsize 4x4 and airbag it

i def wouldnt be installing the lowering kit, i was looking at 2 wheel drive rangers, there good on gas and last forever, the extended cab is perfect for getting the chair in and i think with a 3 -4 inch drop it would be very easy for me to get in...i may go this route....im liking the truck idea for hauling stuff for my shop and if i decide to get back into riding in the future... the hand controls i need also cost about a grand installed...which i have to add onto the cost....i wanted a nice new luxury sedan but my therapist keeps telling me noo dont the exterior will get banged up from loading and unloading the chair and ull regret it which i can understand...... i think if im not getting a nice car id prefer to drive a truck before going the small eco car or soccer mom route lol

troyleepred719
12-22-2008, 11:00 PM
fullsizechevy.com

yes u can drop a 4x4, u can do a spindle drop, or put it on air.

where in cny are u?

SRH
12-22-2008, 11:09 PM
i live about 40 min east of unadilla towards albany....raced district 3

any idea on the cost of bagging a full size 4x4? that would be the ****

KXRida
12-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by SRH
the airbags would be ideal for what i want, just im sure the cost is very high.... but i havent been able to find much info online
id love to get a fullsize 4x4 and airbag it

i def wouldnt be installing the lowering kit, i was looking at 2 wheel drive rangers, there good on gas and last forever, the extended cab is perfect for getting the chair in and i think with a 3 -4 inch drop it would be very easy for me to get in...i may go this route....im liking the truck idea for hauling stuff for my shop and if i decide to get back into riding in the future... the hand controls i need also cost about a grand installed...which i have to add onto the cost....i wanted a nice new luxury sedan but my therapist keeps telling me noo dont the exterior will get banged up from loading and unloading the chair and ull regret it which i can understand...... i think if im not getting a nice car id prefer to drive a truck before going the small eco car or soccer mom route lol

If you're going the ranger route, you can spring under in the rear which will drop you a decent amount. If you need to go lower you can change springs then. Depending on the year of the ranger, 2wd front beams would be ideal, but for retaining 4wd, it'd mostly be all of a spring drop. The only potential problem I could see with a traction beam (this applys for a traction beam front end, not tortion bar) would be the steering, so it would maybe require an aftermarket steering (superlift super runner).

Once again that is for a Gen I-III ranger up to 97, anything over that eliminates the ttb, but the spring under still applys due to the use of the 7.5 and 8.8 still.

Hope that helps yah out some. My buddy is a paraplegic and does rather well with a car. He has a 99 gt. Have you looked into hand controls yet?

SRH
12-23-2008, 03:41 PM
cars are def the easiest, but i own a single cab ranger now, there super reliable id like to get the same thing but extended cab the bag systems dont seem practical, i dont know how that compressor would work in cold weather and it gets cold here in ny

how low could i go with a ranger before i tear the underneath up on everything?????

KXRida
12-24-2008, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by SRH
cars are def the easiest, but i own a single cab ranger now, there super reliable id like to get the same thing but extended cab the bag systems dont seem practical, i dont know how that compressor would work in cold weather and it gets cold here in ny

how low could i go with a ranger before i tear the underneath up on everything?????

Father low. What year is your current ranger?

400exrider707
12-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Bill Bill Bill.... lets talk some time. I can help you with an air system. My room-mate has a 68 VW BUG that sits 3/4" off the ground.... yes you read that right. Bagged all the way around. I believe he even has some extra parts in the garage that came off a mini truck.

Lowering a 4x4 is possible, but more money and harder to do. A 2x4 is simple as pie.

Bag systems are expensive but if you piece it together its a lot cheaper.

Dont cross over to the dark side just yet ! (cars)