PDA

View Full Version : 50 loosing power

ff1125a
12-22-2008, 01:42 PM
I have a problem it takes off quick and sounds like it opens up (high RPMS) then quickly bogs down and takes for ever to pick back up RPMS. This is on flat ground it also has a hard time climbing small hills. Do these little machines have powerbands like a 2stroke motor cycle? It sounds like it goes in powerband But quickly falls out. Any Ideas that would cause this?

Ryki3r
12-22-2008, 01:48 PM
What kind of quad? any clutch mods? what size? any mods at all?

ww228king
12-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by ff1125a
I have a problem it takes off quick and sounds like it opens up (high RPMS) then quickly bogs down and takes for ever to pick back up RPMS. This is on flat ground it also has a hard time climbing small hills. Do these little machines have powerbands like a 2stroke motor cycle? It sounds like it goes in powerband But quickly falls out. Any Ideas that would cause this?

have you added an aftermarket airfilter?
Had a 90cc Polaris do the same thing... hit hard and about 40feet fall then about another 20 feet it will pick back up.... but woudl run fine if about half throttle... had to go with bigger jet

ff1125a
12-22-2008, 03:15 PM
It is a 2006 50cc drr I dont know of any mods done I bought it from a guy in texas had it delivered so I did not get to talk to him face to face. It does have the long tall breather pipe and a cone looking filter.

THARNESS
12-22-2008, 03:19 PM
I belive your rear clutch torsion spring needs to be replaced. As they wear out and loose strength they will allow your quad to "shift" into high too soon. I belive this is why your quad is bogging after takeoff. It would be like shifting from 1st to 4th on a manual. It takes a while for the rpm's to catch back up. It is a cheap and easy fix.

DAVYS DAD
12-22-2008, 03:37 PM
i agree change the rear spring while your at it new rollers to be safe.

later

ff1125a
12-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks I will try this! Where can i get the parts and what brand? I have read and seen where people change to diffrent clutch settings do i need to do this also or go back stock? Also is this something I can do easly or do i have to have a special tool?

mudder700
12-22-2008, 04:01 PM
also, change the air filter to a direct bolt on UNI and do away with the snorkle tube

THARNESS
12-22-2008, 04:02 PM
There are several places to get the parts. I personally use Hetrick Racing in Oil city,PA but Marc at Hot Quads in alabama could also help you out. The only Special tool you will need is a very large socket ( I belive it is a 32mm but I could be wrong) and an impact wrench.

mudder700
12-22-2008, 04:05 PM
It is pretty easy if you have a little mechanical knowledge, I figured it out,I would probably go with a ZTR 1500 rear spring and while you have it apart put 4 gram rollers up front, it should launch real well, this is what we did on our DRR50. You can get the parts from Gary or from Marc @ Hotquads, both guys are super great to deal with and will help you out alot....

THARNESS
12-22-2008, 04:07 PM
I sent you a pm.

neveready
12-22-2008, 04:13 PM
These are very common parts. I would recommend trying to find a fairly local shop (where are you located) and familiarize yourself with them and the products available. The limits are endless, you can get alot of great info off of this forum. There are alot of great people on here always willing to help. Just read and ask, you'll usually get the info you need.

bulldogfallon
12-22-2008, 06:45 PM
The clutch nut is 39mm...

You can also use a vice and a large pair of channel locks

The rear torque spring is probably your culprit and is an item that should be replaced regularly to maintain optimum performance.

A fresh torque spring and rollers are a must for the tool box....

Here is a link to a generic service manual for the engine in the DRRs

Service Manual (http://p4.hostingprod.com/@gforcepowersports.com/files/Service_manualDRX.pdf)

ff1125a
12-22-2008, 07:11 PM
I am from right outside of Nashville TN dont know of any dealers around here looks like I will be having to order all my parts. Does any one know of a dealer close? Also I want to thak every one for the help. I am new to the DRR and really dont know much about them. But every one on this forum is kind enough to share information. Thanks

hotquads1
12-23-2008, 07:56 AM
we may be your closest dealer , we are just south of Atlanta on the Alabama line. Should be 1 day shipping to you , we have alot of customers up your way , the sport must be growing there. Let us know if we can be of any help. www.miniquadsracing.com
marc

machwon
12-24-2008, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by ff1125a
I am from right outside of Nashville TN dont know of any dealers around here looks like I will be having to order all my parts. Does any one know of a dealer close? Also I want to thak every one for the help. I am new to the DRR and really dont know much about them. But every one on this forum is kind enough to share information. Thanks

Pittman racing is out of Kentucky, they deal with DRR and corbra's.

ff1125a
01-05-2009, 12:11 PM
went to pittman racing which is not to far from me and got new rollers and springs I put a 1500 rear spring and 4.2 rollers and it does pretty good seems like I might have lost a little of my top end but the boy loves the take off power

bulldogfallon
01-05-2009, 12:27 PM
What brand/color is the spring?

The torque spring will also break in after a few heat cycles and you may see the top end come back some.

This will also allow for the quad to shift to a higher gear faster which may be good or bad depending on how it is shifting now.

ff1125a
01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
it was a white spring and 1500 that is all i can rember.

bulldogfallon
01-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Thats a Koso 1500 then most likely (double check if you can)

Yikes that a lot of spring for a 50....

Next time I would recomend a Yellow Malossi and start with 3.5 gram rollers

I know gusy that run less/more weight springs, but this seems to be a good overall starting point for us.

Good luck

ff1125a
01-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Im not for shure what all of this means im new to the drr and the clutch I really dont understand yet. what does the rear big spring do and the rollers what do they control? I just took out the ones i had and replaced them back with the same I bought this atv from someone used and have not been able to find anything out about it. so will this hurt the atv?

rmuscle
01-05-2009, 05:49 PM
yea it sounds i little off on the sping and rollers. like gary said above, i have an 07 a/c 50 with a stock sping and 3 g rollers and an 08 l/c 50 with yellow malossi and 3.25 rollers and both launch great and have good top end , just my imo, not an expert at all , just learning by trial and error.i know there is a post on here somewhere about the marker line trick , it really helps . draw a line on variator run quad about 2 to 300 ft , pull cover off and see how far belt traveled from there make different adjustments till u feel happy. again just imo