PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Port polishing and compression

Jay300ex
12-17-2002, 01:32 PM
Hey guys:

I was wondering about whats the best way to raise compression in the engine? I was considering to put a bore kit in my ride but I figured it wasnt worth it yet, so I was thinking of putting a Wiseco piston in it, and doing a GOOD port and polish job.

Would that do what I want or am I missing something? And when you're doing ports do ppl increase the size of the ports or just polish them off nicely?

Jay

gojk
12-17-2002, 01:36 PM
Don't polish the intake or the gas will condensate on the smooth surface and won't get into the cylinder.

0240099r1
12-17-2002, 03:31 PM
gojk is right on the intake ports you want them to be opened up a little but the port should be rough i guess thats the best word for that people that have ever ported will know what we mean as far as how big that depends a little on motor size bigger is not always better in this case i started porting mine today i may have went to big i just matched the port with the exaust gasket and blended the bowls i should finish the intake tommorow and by the way you want the exaust as smooth as you can get it i polish mine as much as i can thats just my 2 cents if i get done tommorow i'll try to post some pics

copeland.

Jay300ex
12-17-2002, 07:11 PM
Okay I COPY that. Anyone have word on raising compression?

Jay

0240099r1
12-17-2002, 08:14 PM
buy you a high compression drop in piston if you don't want to go bigger in bore therefore it will raise your comp.and keep your same displacement........

gojk
12-17-2002, 10:05 PM
What do you guys use to polish the exhaust side? Also what steps to you take in doing so?

gojk
12-18-2002, 01:42 PM
bump

Jay300ex
12-18-2002, 08:23 PM
A hi performance piston swap was what I was thinking what would help, cause I read in my school book that lighter pistons create more HP. Are there any pistons that are slightly more engineered on the piston head to create more comp. or is there only one type for the 300?

Also, if I did a piston change, would it be worth while to do any other things ( like cam, rocker arms, piston pin ect ) I want to keep the same displacement but want this 300 to be more then stock you know =)

Jay

0240099r1
12-18-2002, 09:21 PM
yes you can get a higher compression piston in stock bore ex. je,ross,are really my fav. i use je in all bikes and cars but thats just me everybody has different oppinions while your in the motor it would be a good idea to add a cam, hard faced rockers,and good valve springs if you have the $ have the head ported and polished there are many things you can do to improve performance that would take forever to list if it were me i would go ahead and put a 330 kit in it its only about $45's more and that will be for boring the cylinder and nobody can ever see it unless you tear it down search some engine builders web sites to find what will work best for you ex.ct racing,hetrick racing just to name a few hope this helps.