PDA

View Full Version : LT80 - Clutch Assembly

ziemer
12-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Should have all the new parts tomorrow for my daughter's LT80. I pulled everything apart on the front and rear clutch assemblies and cleaned everything. (The rollers on the front clutch were completely gunked up, no wonder it didn't move so good) I ordered (6) new rollers and the wear plate, along with a new rear clutch spring, bearings, seals, and drive belt.

For re-assembly are there any little tricks I need to know? Things to absolutely grease, or not grease? Do I need to loc-tite anything? Maybe some anti-seize on the cover bolts? (they were a b*tch coming out)

Motor is stock, so I figured I would not need to make any mods to the clutch. Plus, my daughter is still learning and I've got it governed down too.

Thanks in advance!

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc120/ziemer99/lt80-1.jpg

LT80
12-22-2008, 09:44 AM
I use a q-tip of grease on each roller to help them stay in place during installation.
Hold the clutch like holding a donut by the hole. This keeps the roller plate in contact with the rollers. Slide the clutch down the crank applying side pressure to keep the plate on the rollers. If the plate lifts, take apart to make sure the rollers didn't flip and try again.
Use a light and make double sure the key is in the roller plate notch then put the spacer/bushing in.
Push belt into the rear clutch and put on the gear shaft/front clutch. Now you put the big washer on the crank and the outer face. The washer is a spring washer. Tighten front then finish the rear.
Did you stick your finger in the rear clutch bearings and turn to check for bad spots?

I replace the cover bolts with hex head bolts.
Nothing to loc-tite.
:)

ziemer
12-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by LT80

Did you stick your finger in the rear clutch bearings and turn to check for bad spots?
:)

Yes, and the one with the c-clip holding it in place was rough, so I pulled both bearings out and order 2 new ones. ;) (Don't ask how I got it out :O)

Thanks!!!

ziemer
12-30-2008, 08:46 AM
LT80, thanks for the tips! Put it back together on Saturday and it ran great!