PDA

View Full Version : car audio question

440bigborekit
12-21-2008, 07:29 PM
ok i hooked up my sub its a sb kicker l7 wit my old junk diamond amp, it hit hard for like 10 min then nothing, it was hitting clean and no smell i went back to m house thinking the amp was blown and put my hifonics brutus in and still nothing can someone point me in the direction is it the rca's mabie or the sub blown from a 300rms amp lol

ridered11
12-21-2008, 07:54 PM
fuse? car fuse? ground came loose?

i would look into those

gclax1336
12-21-2008, 08:10 PM
make sure no wires are touching shorting out your amp. Like the positive and negative to the sub if they touch your amp should click off.

ben300
12-21-2008, 08:15 PM
the amp could have gone into protect mode, if it has it in its circuitry....but if you unhooked your amp, and then wired a new sub to it, it shoud have cooled down and went back to normal...

.that leads to the possibility that the amp is not getting power, which could lead to a few different possibilities..

first i would check andmake sure the power wire did not disconect from the battery or the inline power fuse broke...if these are not the case, i would get an ohm meter and try to measure the current going into the am through the power wire and then leaving the amp going into the sub... if now power is leaving the amp then i would also check the fuses in the amp, becauswe those will blow...if those checks dont work, trya nd make sure the sub is wired correctly..

if your amp is not dead, then you should have power going to the subs... chances are your rca's would have nothing to do iwht it, unless some how hte cable becoime severly pinched or was severed some where in your vehicle....also you could chekc your remote wire...

also you could make sure your amp is turned on on your head unit...my pioneer head unit can remotely turn off power to my amp and subs if i choose

ben300
12-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by gclax1336
make sure no wires are touching shorting out your amp. Like the positive and negative to the sub if they touch your amp should click off.

yes and check for this too...not only can this kill your subs, amps, or head unit, but it can also in some extreme cases kill your entire electrical system in your car...

ive never seen it..but read of it happening during spl competition wiring