PDA

View Full Version : Got the Motor Apart

gojk
12-17-2002, 12:21 PM
I just got my engine torn down and I was wondering, what I can use to clean up the carbon build up off the head and out of the exhaust ports.

YZROOSTINYA
12-17-2002, 12:31 PM
a screw driver or any semi sharp object, just dont gauge the aluminum, carb cleaner works good too

a dremel with a wire brush just watch the gasket surfaces, dont remove any metal

JabberJaw
12-17-2002, 12:36 PM
I was going to tear down my engine one time....

but when I set my mind to doing something.................well, it just sets there!

F-16Guy
12-17-2002, 01:33 PM
Don't use a screwdriver! You could easily do some major damage to the head... and they ain't cheap, brother! I would CAREFULLY use a wire brush attached to a drill or, even better, I prefer using a 3M surfacing disc (medium or fine, the ROLOC type) on a high speed angle grinder- type air tool. Just stay away from the gasket surfaces, if your bike's never been apart before, all you should need is a little Brakleen and a brass wire brush to clean them up. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN... your parts and work area should be spotless and well organized. If so, everything should go together easily. Good luck, and post how it turns out!