PDA

View Full Version : Fym Typhoon

nordic quad
12-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Looking to buy my son another quad,we spend about 10 hrs. on the tracks on average every week so i want another quad to sheare the wear and thear.First i toght off buying an outlaw 90 and do some minor mods,but a Fym Typhoon 125 is 1500 less brand new here in Norway.The typhoon we get here looks the same as the Xtreme,even the graphics looks the same.
Anyway we need to keep this quad 125cc so i wold love to have the pros and cons on running and uppgrading this quad,it will be used for mx.My son will be 7 in March 50"and 60lbs.
Every input will be apriciated.
Merry Xmas.

Ride1Rob
12-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Here are a couple of quick clips of my son getting the feel for his built Typhoon. The motor has been built for a couple of months and has held up nicely. I just added some Elkas on the bike and he was testing the setup. As you can see the bike has REALLY come to life and I have had no issues. I recorded this with my phone so the vids not the best and the sound won't pick up on Youtube.

This is a video when the bike was stock. Not even close to the bike now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yOyW2TGyAk

These are vids with the mods. Look at the difference in acceleration and how the tires spin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhDJ15hf3Ww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSbV7vS54_k

nordic quad
12-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Thank you for the reply Ride1Rob,as i am not brand bias i have been following som of your progres with this quad and i seems to have held up nice for you guys,and with the elkas and the extra power this shold bee great quad.The typhoon we get here has the manual shifter so this will be something new for my kid to learn so i think we will upgrade the shockers first,i think i can get dual rate Dnm shocks set to his weight,the front ones looks the same as on the new Pitster Pro quad,so once he masters the shifting we will add more power to the engine or replace it with a built motor.Ps are you still running stock a arms?

Ride1Rob
12-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Yeah, the arms are the stock arms. Honestly, I don't know why anyone would change them. I guess it's just preference. These arms are already considered Longtravel hence why I went with the 13 1/4 inch shocks rather than the standard 10inch Elkas. The handling has helped his confidence as the shocks keep him more in control of the bike in whooped out areas. As far as power, this bike will wheelie with me on it from a 1st and 2nd gear holeshot. And I'm talking about wheels way up in the air wheelie not barely off the ground. At the same time if he hits it it's controllable power and doesn't come off the ground. I guess my weight on the seat has alot to do with it. Because of me doing this the bike now needs clutches again lol.

I do my share of research for this bike and have learned that this motor has some nice potential. There's still room for more power if I need it. When he was 6 as you can see in the vid the motor was wayyy underpowered for him. A year and a few months later with the mods it's probably too much for him. He hits it hard in spurts as you can see in the vids. This tells me that he respects the power and also has limitations. He has yet to ride it full speed.

nordic quad
12-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Well Rob my son will have a lot of power with the polini kit in the Apex now,he was really pinning it this season he almost newer let off the trottle with almost stock set up,also the stock shox was way to stiff,bought some used tripple rate elkas from etondaddy so i think the Apex is done now but the ctv is driving me craisy some times.So i guess when he learns to shift he is going to want more power,there is a lot of engine parts available here in northern europe as pit bikes are wery popular,a lot of the parts are the same as i can get from tbolt,and i am thinking a ported big valve head,a race cam.hc piston and better carb for starters.
Like i do with the Apex i will have to do some test runs with the Typhoon as well as they are fun to ride.:devil: :rolleyes:

Ride1Rob
12-22-2008, 02:34 PM
You said a mouthful then lol. I've spent more time on his bike than I have my 450 the past month. Those are some good upgrades that you intend on doing. Stay away from ghe inner rotor kits. The stock cranks won't hold up to them. They rev up like a two stroke but the bike loses torque. Good luck with the Typhoon.

nordic quad
12-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Without to much bla bla bla thank you for good info will stay away from the irk,will post back later.

double d 1
12-22-2008, 05:31 PM
150 bb kit? is this a 150 manual trans motor or the 146 auto trans? thanks. i tried the crower g2 cam and hi comp.125 piston but i guess i didnt get it right cause it only lasted about an hour at the dunes and took a dive. i dont know whats wrong with it. i'm hoping its only a bent valve, because it was ticking pretty good. gonna wait for the tax return and just get the new 160 yx motor with the thicker cases. i have some videos of my son racing flat track on you tube. there is a thread here a few pages back of him racing.

Ride1Rob
12-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by double d 1
150 bb kit? is this a 150 manual trans motor or the 146 auto trans? thanks. i tried the crower g2 cam and hi comp.125 piston but i guess i didnt get it right cause it only lasted about an hour at the dunes and took a dive. i dont know whats wrong with it. i'm hoping its only a bent valve, because it was ticking pretty good. gonna wait for the tax return and just get the new 160 yx motor with the thicker cases. i have some videos of my son racing flat track on you tube. there is a thread here a few pages back of him racing.

It's the 146bb kit. If you heard rattling from your head your valves weren't in spec. Did you have the stock head or an aftermarket with the hc piston. I also had the hc piston with crower g2 and the bike ran good. But the setup in the bike now is totally better. Currently I'm running the Lifan bigvalve head ($90) but TB has a bigger head valve head for ($209). I can't get answers on how much more hp that head will be opposed to the one I'm running so the Lifan will stay in for now.

double d 1
12-23-2008, 04:51 PM
its the stock head.i'm just going to buy the yx 160. i'll get the stock motor running again maybe put the lifan head on at a later date.

Ride1Rob
12-25-2008, 12:16 PM
The difference in building the motor up to a 150 and a 160 is not much difference. In fact, a built 150 with mods will outperform a 160. That's one of the reasons why I went this route. Now a built 160 on the other hand would be sweet! Later I may put a 180 in it or build another motor up to 180cc or more if possible. Not sure as of yet. He'll have this bike for another 3yrs so there's time to figure out a direction I want to go with it.

double d 1
12-26-2008, 04:22 AM
the only reason i'm going with the yx160 is that they are coming out with a new one that has stronger cases. i guess there's been a few problems with the 150 breaking at the kick start shaft.

Ride1Rob
12-26-2008, 09:09 AM
What motor was it to have this problem? I haven't heard any issues such as this from the Jailing cases.

hanzito
12-26-2008, 05:38 PM
the gpx 150 has had problems with breaking cases. thatswhy i went with a 160in my pitbike. the tb head and a 177 big bore kit is a bad mutha. it pulls like a retard on sugar. i think i am goingot pull the built gpx 125 out of my sons typhoon and put a 160 back in it. I had my 160 motor in my sons quad all summer while i was building his 125 into a 146. and he misses the added power. The fully built 146 has similar power to the stock yx 160. but the 160 has way more torque.

Ride1Rob
12-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by hanzito
the gpx 150 has had problems with breaking cases. thatswhy i went with a 160in my pitbike. the tb head and a 177 big bore kit is a bad mutha. it pulls like a retard on sugar. i think i am goingot pull the built gpx 125 out of my sons typhoon and put a 160 back in it. I had my 160 motor in my sons quad all summer while i was building his 125 into a 146. and he misses the added power. The fully built 146 has similar power to the stock yx 160. but the 160 has way more torque.

There's some nice torque coming off of my sons 150 so if the 160 has more that's sweet.