PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for quad for 8 year old daughter?

tri5ron
12-21-2008, 01:21 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,
I am looking to buy a youth quad for my 8 year old daughter sometime before next spring. she has only ridden a little chinese 50cc two times, and likes it, but it is just too small for her. (She is very tall for her age).

I am not very familiar with many of the youth quads, and would like some suggestions from the more experienced crowd.

I would like to stay with a (used),reliable brand, preferrably not chinese, and it MUST be a GREEN sticker quad. I would strongly prefer a 4 stroke, and would like a auto clutch, or fully auto. Electric start would be nice, but not essential.

I like the looks of the Honda trx90, but have not actually seen one up close, so not real sure it is physically big enough for her.

so What say you? Can you guys give me your suggestions for youth quads to look at? your experience, opinions?

Thanks,
Ron

ridered11
12-21-2008, 01:39 PM
pick up a used honda trx90, I started out on one. those things are bullet proff.

they are pull start, and semi automatic, but you could easily just put it in second and let her drive it around until she can grasp the concept of the gear box.

03pete
12-21-2008, 01:55 PM
I have a TRX 90 here, and they are a spunky little quad! I would definitely pick one up used, very reliable.

wykyd450R
12-21-2008, 02:35 PM
The newer trx90's are electric start. My kids have one, and they are pretty much indestructable. She'll get quite a few years out of it easily.

BlaineKaiser450
12-21-2008, 02:48 PM
yep. Trx90

greenblood01
12-21-2008, 02:52 PM
When I was that age I started on an '85 TRX 125, and rode the wheels off of it. Its small enough younger kid could ride it, yet its still comfortable for a full size person. As a matter of fact, we still have it. My 10 and 11 year old sisters have been riding it for the last 3 or 4 years. The best thing is that it has reverse. The downfall is NO suspension. There are still a few out there in nice condition that can be bought for cheap.

12-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Are you buying new? The new raptor 90's have dual a-arms. Pretty cool mini.

If used then go for the trx

quads14589
12-21-2008, 04:35 PM
get her a raptor 700 she will like the power;)

QuadJunkies
12-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Ron,
I moved this to the Mini section . I think you will get a better response from parents who have been threw this many times here.

ww228king
12-21-2008, 05:43 PM
well, if you are going with a green sticker, 4 stroke, auto preferred you have a few options... KYMCO Mongoose 90 is a real good quad that falls into that area, Kawasaki 90 is made by KYMCO so you can go green if you want, and Polaris has also got a auto 4 stroke...

airmobile101
12-21-2008, 06:27 PM
For sure the Kymco or Kawi for a 4-stroke. CVT tranny which requires no shifting. The Kymco is a little bit cheaper.

tri5ron
12-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks Quadjunkies,
I wasn't sure where to post it since it wasn't really a make/brand specific question.

And thanks to everyone for all the replies so far, keep 'em coming...

Ron

LT80
12-23-2008, 09:02 AM
I don't know much about the stickers but when I was at Glamis, they had tons of LT80's there. Used LT's can be cheap and for yard/trail/dunes, pretty darn reliable. They are a CVT machine.
I agree on the Kymco for a 4 stroke if you want a CVT (CVT's are good).
I also agree that the honda is very reliable.
Good luck. :)

preddy brian
12-23-2008, 10:17 AM
My son is 8 and he has been riding a Polaris Outlaw 90 for 2 years. Great little atv (except for smaal oil leak, bad gasket). The Outlaw has everything you were looking for and more: fully automatic, electric start with kick back-up, forward-nuetral-reverse trans. These are the reasons I went with the Polaris over the Honda 90. And the Outlaw was cheaper too.
Good luck

hotquads1
12-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Quick , get out now before it is too late , once the bug has bitten you and your daughter it will be too late to escape. Its a slippery slope and your headed right for it, countless hours of fun and family time , joy riding and learning oppurtunities and the absolute best sport you and your daughter can share! good luck and Merry Christmas. www.miniquadsracing.com
marc

ww228king
12-23-2008, 06:07 PM
you got that right ...lol it will get you hooked and all it takes is for you to take your kid to a track one time to just ride for fun.... or just ride the trails with some friends.... then its a never ending story...and I will speak for all the moms and pops... we love making new chapters to the book..... have fun and have a Merry Christmas!!!

Arctic Cat Dad
12-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Honda Trx 90. They are the best all the way around. Plus every1 has parts cheap from building racers. Our 06 Honda has been thru heck and back and there isn't any 4 stroke on the planet that will last as long. She will learn the shifting no problem. All she has to get use to is listen to the sound of the engine to shift up and down at first and after a few rides it will come natural. Just my 2 cents worth but stay away from the cvt, unless you like maintenance. Alot of work keeping it up and wearing out parts. With the Honda the trans is bullet proof. Take it from me if my son can't tear it up it can't be tore up!!! You can find a Honda all over. Plus like I said parts are easy to find and they hold there $$$ value. The Honda is the best 4 stroke on the Planet hands down!!!