PDA

View Full Version : ct350 what to expect?

2fiftosR
12-21-2008, 04:04 AM
looking at a used motor 4sale with ct350 non pv topend.
riding dunes and some trail.
just trying to decide wether its worth upgrading or not. currently running standard cylinder with esr5 pipe and v3's.
thanks for any input

danhung11
12-21-2008, 09:43 AM
I think the 350 Non-PV would be horrible in the technical trails, but the dunes would be a blast. I think it would be best in your case to have two separate motors.

morse250r
12-21-2008, 10:03 AM
310 would be ideal but if the price is right it maybe worth a try

2-330s
12-21-2008, 04:21 PM
i think you would like a 100 more cc s, alot more torque and hp depending on the port,pipe,carb and compreshion you should be making alot more power earlier than you could with a small bore there is no replacement for displacement!

2fiftosR
12-22-2008, 02:07 AM
thanks for the reply's. he hasn't accepted my offer so it looks like a no go

dunatic
12-22-2008, 03:03 AM
i ordered a 350 non-PV CT motor several years ago and hated it.

I ordered it specifically stating "Mid-High", not drag, nor MX. I wanted lower compression (got 210 psi), exhaust transfers were a full mm higher than you would drag port a motor. Flat pizzed me off.

I ended up running it for a year, then yanking it out, having Arlen at LRD drop the sleeve, weld the cylinder up, re-sleeving it and reset the port timing to what it was that I wanted in the first place.

I have yet to find anyone that is truly happy with their CT ported cylinder.

Allen claims to know what it is that he is doing. I read articles that claim his stuff dont stink............but I have yet to see it.

morse250r
12-22-2008, 06:18 AM
my ct has been totally re ported too i wasn t impressed

CHAR250R
12-22-2008, 08:18 AM
I too have not heard good things about them. I'm a Duncan Racing guy myself, but to each his own.

dunatic
12-22-2008, 02:27 PM
there are lots of great builders out there that can take the Nik's cylinder and turn it out for some good usable.

here are a few:

K&T
Arlen at LED
Duncan
Hybrid Engineering (without a doubt the 250r king right now)
Patriot Racing
Packard

bushwesl
12-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Never heard of Hybrid Engineering...

More information please:)

Kirt13
12-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by bushwesl
Never heard of Hybrid Engineering...

More information please:)
I've been trying to find info on this place with Google search for the past hour......... no luck.
Anybody have a web address or phone number??

havinnoj
12-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by dunatic
there are lots of great builders out there that can take the Nik's cylinder and turn it out for some good usable.

here are a few:

K&T
Arlen at LED
Duncan
Hybrid Engineering (without a doubt the 250r king right now)
Patriot Racing
Packard

Steve gives you a very good list to select from. Anyone on here will do great things for you. (Enjoying the weather?! Let's ride Atfalati!!)

Just a note/Food for thought: Nobody declared Hybrid the "self-proclaimed 250r Messiah" except the shop itself. Until he runs against a better field (Dunefest shouldn't qualify especially when you have half a dozen Hybrid bikes in the field, and not many other top dollar all out drag bikes by top notch builders) he's not the king. He would have to beat Packard up pretty bad to steal that title.

Pete's # at Hybrid is 360-281-2274.

Michael88R
12-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by dunatic
i ordered a 350 non-PV CT motor several years ago and hated it.

I ordered it specifically stating "Mid-High", not drag, nor MX. I wanted lower compression (got 210 psi), exhaust transfers were a full mm higher than you would drag port a motor. Flat pizzed me off.

I ended up running it for a year, then yanking it out, having Arlen at LRD drop the sleeve, weld the cylinder up, re-sleeving it and reset the port timing to what it was that I wanted in the first place.

I have yet to find anyone that is truly happy with their CT ported cylinder.

Allen claims to know what it is that he is doing. I read articles that claim his stuff dont stink............but I have yet to see it.

I think Allen is too set in his ways. He probably gives the customer what he thinks they need instead of what they ask for. I think he's capable of giving you what you ask, just too stubborn.

norcalduner
12-23-2008, 11:14 AM
I run a CT non-pv 350 with a MX port that was all put together at CT. It has been very reliable for me as I am still running the same top end for three years now. My only complaint is that mine feels like a 4 stroke as it does not have the "arm ripping, hold the f*ck on, banshee like power delivery that I was used to . The upside is that I can literally ride and outride my buddy's on their 450's in the dunes "mx-style" the entire day and the next day too :macho .

morse250r
12-23-2008, 12:10 PM
ct does a cookie cutter port job safe run of the mill

addictedtomud
12-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Sorry to go against the grain here, but I really like CT's motors! I have had their 410 non-pv and currently have the 350pv and I have no complaints. Reliable, very fun to ride, great low-end torque but still rip in the midrange and top end. I can lug around the woods in 3rd gear and roll on the power anytime I want it. I run stock 13/38 sprockets, 38mm airstryker, CT midrange pipe. Hell I even have it corked with the airbox lid on and the factory snorkle in place! I'm sure it would really rip with the lid off and a K&N filter...

For comparison, I also just got a LRD 350pv motor with a fresh bore on another chassis and it runs about the same as the CT motor I've been running for years. Since they run about the same and the LRD is more expensive to buy new, I would go with CT all day long. I have has ESR330, PC2000 265pv, PSI330pv and have been un-impressed with all of those motors.

I would buy another CT motor in a heartbeat.

superevil
12-24-2008, 12:15 AM
I got my 310 from LA sleave and im very happy with it

All250R
12-25-2008, 11:42 AM
You guys keep in mind that displacement can compensate for a lack of craftsmanship and tuning. Bigger engines draw more air and fuel, so if something else isn't working well, a bigger motor should make things better. 250cc engines can put out extreme hp numbers, it depends on the time put into the engine.

mikesutphin
12-25-2008, 11:55 PM
My CT ported engine, boyesen rad valve 36 carb with lrd adjustable pipe will run neck and neck agaisnt cam moded and piped yfz's. My motor has been very reliable and i have been very happy with ct's work. Duncan Racing's stuff must be made out of gold with their pricing.

69zandar
12-28-2008, 07:20 PM
I like my CT 310 jug it takes a pretty trick 450 to give me a good run, in fact it was a 497 !