PDA

View Full Version : 2 strokes

250X TERROR
12-17-2002, 10:32 AM
how do you measure out the oil and gas mixture? also, how often do you have to rebuild the top end and how much does it cost?

CBus660R
12-17-2002, 11:59 AM
The easiest way to measure out the oil is to go to a bike shop and buy a pre-mix measuring cup for $3. I think they are called a Ratio-Rite. It is graduated with different scales depending on how much gas you are going to mix the oil with. Top end rebuilds really vary depending on state of tune for the motor and riding conditions. A stock pistoned 250R that is trail ridden is good for about 30 hours, but I have heard of people getting a lot more than that. Rebuild costs are a new piston/ring set, new base and head gaskets, and any labor for an overbore if you need it.

Texan32
12-17-2002, 12:55 PM
or, you can start using Bel-Ray MC1 premix oil. You mix one bottle of oil with 5 gallons of gas. Makes a perfect 50:1 mix. I know that might sound a little lean, but thes EXACTLY what Bel-Ray recommends

JabberJaw
12-17-2002, 12:58 PM
Three Strokes.... and you're OUT!!!!

motochris
12-17-2002, 01:45 PM
Get a ratio rite cup and mesure out the amount needed, or you can use 1 bottle of your premix per 4 gallons of gas... This will give you a 32:1 mix like you need... I wouldnt go lean on the mixture cause you can add wear to the piston,ring and cylinder alot quicker and it will bite you in the end... The premix is for top end lube for the piston, rings and cylinder... Think of it this way, would you run your engine on 1/2 qt of oil cause there would be less drag on the engine,no you wouldnt... Well premix is the same... Stick with 32:1.....

As for hrs on a 2 stroke there really isnt a set time some recomend 15hr of use and others 20hrs ect... What i do it after i do a topend rebuild i do a compression check and make a note of the PSI in the cylinder... When it drops between 5 to 10 pounds less than the number i wrote down, i do a top end rebuild... I have never lost and engine by doing this and have done this for years... This will also help you save a few bucks so your not rebuilding it every 15 or so hrs... Hope this helps.....:)

Texan32
12-17-2002, 02:31 PM
Not to step on toes Motochris, but check Bel-Ray's web sight. Their MC-1 is synthetic. Since it is Ester based (synthetic) and not Castor based (vegetable) the mixture can be run leaner and still outperform standard premix oil. THIS IS WHAT BEL-RAY RECOMMENDS, not a personal opinion.

motochris
12-17-2002, 02:44 PM
No problem Texan32... My toes are fine, hahaha... Just as long as thats what is recomended by the maker i dont have a problem with that...:D Later .....