PDA

View Full Version : pc2000 cylinder damage

dove
12-20-2008, 02:49 PM
hi there new to this site.
i am putting together a duncan pc2000 275cc cylinder and i have noticed there is a small hole going from the exhaust sub port through to the water chamber, it was using water so i pressure tested it and found the hole,my question is can i repair this with some sort of high temp epoxy?cant get in to get it welded ,anyone had this type of problem and been able to fix it ,whats the best stuff to use.i can fill the water jacket with some sort sealer and pressurize it to inject right into the hole but will need to be high temp stuff ,any info much appreciated

my ride is a roll design lobo chassis with pep shocks,full duncan racing engine ,i race in the scottish championship (the only one left)the quad was imported from the states.it is believed to be shane hitts i was told the chassis is a 1997.shane hitts name is written on the bottom of the shocks.dont know much more about it,if anyone has info on it please respond here are some picshttp://

dove
12-20-2008, 02:50 PM
dont know how to add pictures

dove
12-20-2008, 02:52 PM
it worked ,heres another

rustyATV
12-21-2008, 03:30 AM
Can you add a picture of the hole?

Personally, I'd be very leery about that cylinder taking any repairs if the casting is damaged.

peeping TOM
12-21-2008, 05:37 AM
did u quad used to be in the nett suport rounds ? .

dove
12-21-2008, 11:13 AM
might have done i bought it of a man named allan edward from yorkshire area

dove
12-21-2008, 11:14 AM
another view

norcalduner
12-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by dove
might have done i bought it of a man named allan edward from yorkshire area

Just wondering how much did you purchase this quad ?

dove
12-21-2008, 12:40 PM
i paid £3900 pounds for this (not dollars )a lot off trick stuff for the money, i sold a race prepped yfz 450 for it, i prefer this any day(especially the rebuild costs) do you know anything about it?

dove
12-21-2008, 03:26 PM
been searching the web and found an epoxy called PYRO-PUTTY,anyone ever used this stuff?,did it work? goes up to 1400 degrees farenheit that should be hot enough i think

2-330s
12-21-2008, 03:49 PM
i would think that should work. i thought that a aluminum piston burns down at 1275

gandgracing
12-21-2008, 04:22 PM
On the PC cylinders there is suppose to be a whole in the exhaust port going up to apply pressure for the powervalve. Just thought I would throw that in there cause the one picture shows the slot for the powervalve and the whole but the pv slide isn't in there.

dove
12-22-2008, 01:58 AM
i know about that one, it is the one in the sub port,it looks as if it has been a bad casting,air pockets maybe

JTRtrx250r
12-24-2008, 12:57 AM
looks to me like it was taken too far w/ the portwork and it finally let go..:(

best of luck w/ it

machwon
12-24-2008, 05:24 AM
Yes, theres not much room for porting between the tripple ex. port and the main transfers on many cylinders of that style. I've never tried pyro putty but any typical epoxy won't hold in an exhuast port. If the fancy high temp epoxy won't hold you will need to find an extremely qualified welder to weld it up. This may also require the water jacket to be machined open, weld the port area and then weld the water jacket closed again. This would likely be cost prohibitive but the right way to get it done.

I've only seen a couple Banshee Monoblocks repaired in this fashion and heard some ski-doo cylinders get this mod for more porting. The company who had the so called aluminum drip welder guy took almost a year to get it done. It was absolutely amazing how the cylinder got welded in that area without going through the waterjacket.