PDA

View Full Version : did I screw up?

dirtdigger71
12-20-2008, 12:24 PM
well I ordered a set of full flight +2 +1 a-arms for my 400ex tuesday with some christmas gift money I got ,but after doing a search here I am torn on wether I screwed up or not. my ride is a 2000 model 400ex and the stock arms need replaced which was gonna be $250+ anyhow. I will probably never have an xtra grand laying around for the good top of the line stuff with having a family,mortgage etc... beside the fact I only race XC 9 or 10 times a year and rarely ever get a play ride in ,so my question is for people that have owned and used these arms or comparable ones. what are the real pros and cons of these all heim arms. I have 450r shocks on it .will these arms lower the front ride height any? does anybody run this set up. any info would be great and pics of them mounted up would be good also. again any info from past or present owners is what I am searching for. thanks!

Which 450?
12-20-2008, 05:36 PM
I had a friend that had them on a z400, he rode alot of trails, minimal mud, and the joints were wore out in 6 months, riding an average of once a week or so.

brokenmike
12-20-2008, 06:27 PM
I have my american star arms with heims and it took 4 years to get a little slop in them. I run through mud,sand and water a couple times a week. I clean them off and either spray them with wd-40 or teflon spray. They held up great for me.

440challenger
12-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Nouthing but problems. the hiems wear out in litterally months of ridding and make alot of noise. And if that wasnt bad enough, the bolts like to back out of the hiem's and in turn,the a arm collapse's.

For a budget ,Burgards are the way to go. $350 bucks
over two years of serious abuse and showing very little signs of wear. Now on my g/f's 400 . I highly reccomend them for a budget

12-21-2008, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by 440challenger
Nouthing but problems. the hiems wear out in litterally months of ridding and make alot of noise. And if that wasnt bad enough, the bolts like to back out of the hiem's and in turn,the a arm collapse's.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

When you say the bolts back out, which bolts do you mean?

Below is a pic of some heims.

1 = heim joint

2 = pivot joint

3 = both of the above

4 = ball joint

5 = top of ball joint

6 = all of the above

Relating to the numbers, which ones do say will back out?

440challenger
12-21-2008, 05:45 AM
number 5.

Happens quite often and not just on full flights.
Saw a z 400 ,a 450r and a rappy . on the 450 and the z the bolt actually broke on the rappy it happen two times,the bolt would back out while on a ride, even after red loctiting the bolt in. I would just keep an eye on them.

brokenmike
12-21-2008, 08:57 AM
I have NEVER had those bolts back out or break. I never used loctite on them either. Like I said my heims took 4 years to get a little slop in them and I ride in harsh conditions

12-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Maybe the the threads had stretched but mine have never come loose either.

blankenship
12-26-2008, 12:32 PM
i got my 400 a year and a half ago the asr a arms and have had no problems bought my quad from someone who barly took care of it and rode the chit out of it and my hiems are in great shape i have sprayed them with white litium grease its water proof and it shuts up the sqeeking for a couple rides and as for a perminant fix too all your hiem problem cost you 118.99$ USD for a new set of teflon coated hiems that are garenteed for 1 year to not sqeek or become a loose POS check ASR website for more info

CK1999.400ex
01-21-2009, 01:16 AM
i have the full flight A-arms on mine and love them !!! no problems with them at all !!! and i ride mostle sand and wet dirt trais and logging roads with no problems .... i just put a few drops of 90 weight oil on the ball joints after each ride and or wash of the machine and they will las a long time !!!

killer400ex
01-21-2009, 03:46 PM
i personally think that houser a-arms are one of the best. they are deffinetly built to last, they have taken abuse from a full season of mx riding and a bunch of xc races, the bushings and bearings still have yet to squeak at all and ive been in a few collisions during my mx races, including clipping a quad as i was landing a 50+ ft table top. they dont bend, chip, rust at all. and its not a bad price. plus all of there equipment is backed upp with a wicked warranty so if somehow you manage to bust one of these things they will help you out no prob. but thats my opinion