PDA

View Full Version : FYI new Fox shocks for DRR

hotquads1
12-20-2008, 11:39 AM
The new front Fox floats for the Drr will cut about 4 lbs off front end of quad. the pair of front stock shocks weigh approx 8 lbs 4 oz and the combined weight of the Fox is approx 4 lbs 12 oz, the rear Fox with rezzy only weighs approx 3 1/2 lbs which is still lighter than a stock rear. for more info www.miniquadsracing.com
marc

quadrider79
12-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Can you tell me if these shocks are legal for the atva nationals in the 50cc stock limited class.

hotquads1
12-20-2008, 09:50 PM
it will be January before we know for sure.
marc

aimo007
12-21-2008, 07:02 AM
what would a full set cost. front and back ??????

hotquads1
12-22-2008, 07:10 AM
sent you a pm

brianjlinke
12-25-2008, 07:48 PM
I have a 50 DRR and a 70. Front shocks on one measure 12" and the other measure 13.125". When you buy aftermarket shocks are these 2 different part numbers?

Logan #34's Dad
12-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Hey Brian, I'm betting your 50cc is the 41" wide and the 70cc is a 44" wide.

bulldogfallon
12-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Fox only has 1 part number which is the stock replacement for the 13.25" front shocks.

Your 12" shocks...Are they on a single a-arm version?

41" and 44" use the same exact shock

neveready
12-25-2008, 08:18 PM
If you guys remember the first dual a-arm bikes had different upper arms and mounting locations and shorter shocks.

Elka makes shocks for them.

The fox are only for the current version.

bulldogfallon
12-25-2008, 08:19 PM
I try to forget that mess!!

brianjlinke
12-25-2008, 08:28 PM
thats what i have on my 50 early dual a arm. on my 70 ,that i just bought, i think it is the same frame and mounts but different a arms and shocks. if anyone has info i am trying to figure it out

neveready
12-25-2008, 09:04 PM
The upper a-arm mounting points and arms are different. I am not sure about the upper shock mount points on whether you could swap out the lower arms and run the longer shock??? It's been awhile since I have dealt with one, but like I said Elka Does make a shock for them in every option from stock replacement to fully adjustable.

Logan #34's Dad
12-26-2008, 01:46 AM
Okay, If you look at them side by side, the early version's upper shock mount "hoop" is on the inside of the frame and on the new one the "hoop" is on the outside which makes the upper a-arm length from the frame out shorter on the old version. Now, I believe Shawn at Snyder Motorsports has a "fix" for this. I think he has a-arms for the newer version and incorporates a spacer into it to make up the difference in length. Unsure of what shock length he suggests for his a-arms but give him a call. This would save you from buying a new quad when yours is just fine.

hotquads1
12-26-2008, 05:27 PM
looks like these new Fox's will be legal in stock limited 50cc for 09' , that will be great !
marc

quadrider79
12-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Is the ATVA changing the 4" max travel or Do the Fox shocks only have 4" of travel?????

Last year when I was looking for shocks that had only 4" of travel, the only ones I could find was Elka. Fox did have shocks that would fit but THEY HAD MORE THAN 4" of TRAVEL.

I know I asked this question before but no one could give me an anwser. I'm sure Marc or Gary has got to know the anwser.

Thanks.

hotquads1
12-27-2008, 03:37 PM
the details of the rule change are not clear, but after Jan 5th we should have some concrete answers, everyone is off for the holidays.
marc

hotquads1
12-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Yes the Fox shocks will have more than 4" travel

quadrider79
12-27-2008, 04:28 PM
If the ATVA change's the 4" max travel rule then they should just make the 50 STOCK LIMITED class a RUN WHAT YA BRUNG class.
Also with Fox being a big manufacture, I can't see why they can't make a shock that is max only 4" of travel. JMO

coffing918
12-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by hotquads1
Yes the Fox shocks will have more than 4" travel
SO I GUESS THAT MEANS THAT U CANT USE THE FOX SHOX IN THE 50CC LIMITED CLASS FOR D6??????????????. I ASK BECAUSE I HAVE A SET JUST SITTING AROUND WAITING TO BE USED I. WAS GOING TO WAIT UNTILL MY SON RUNS JUST THE 50 MOD OR THE 70 CLASS HE JUST TURNED 6.

hotquads1
12-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by coffing918
SO I GUESS THAT MEANS THAT U CANT USE THE FOX SHOX IN THE 50CC LIMITED CLASS FOR D6??????????????. I ASK BECAUSE I HAVE A SET JUST SITTING AROUND WAITING TO BE USED I. WAS GOING TO WAIT UNTILL MY SON RUNS JUST THE 50 MOD OR THE 70 CLASS HE JUST TURNED 6.
.Well there is some question as to if the 4" travel rule will stay in place after the new rule for shock replacement is added. These are the questions that will have to be answered once the ATVA office reopens after the first of Jan.
marc

WISH1965
01-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Neverready sent you a PM

quadrider79
01-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Hotquads and Bulldog,
Now that the ATVA has kept the 4" rule. Will the Fox shocks be legal for 09'?

bulldogfallon
01-09-2009, 06:55 AM
The process to measure travel is under review by the atva...stock shocks have more than 4" of travel so........

skyeryder
01-09-2009, 11:15 AM
so... back to square one, huh... let us know when you guys find out I'm ready to hit the pay now button, thanks for the help

bulldogfallon
01-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Marc and I have discussed this and really until it is clearly layed out we won't know what is legal..

Do you press on the from of the pipe with 50 lbs....100lb...200lbs?

Air pressure in the tire could effect overall travel...

We will post an update if we hear from Doug.

quadrider79
01-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Maybe they should just make the rule that, shocks must be same length as a STOCK shock. This way there will be no problem with how much travel there is. If someone question another riders shocks. All that would need to be done is take the shock off and measure from eye to eye to see if it's the same length as a stock one. If it's longer or shorter then it's illegal. I don't know why anyone would want a shorter one in MX though. JMO.

hotquads1
01-09-2009, 12:27 PM
quadrider79 , there ya go , thinking way too ligical again, LOL . Remember this is the ATVA. by the way that sounds like a good idea to me.
marc

quadscrib
01-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by quadrider79
Maybe they should just make the rule that, shocks must be same length as a STOCK shock. This way there will be no problem with how much travel there is. If someone question another riders shocks. All that would need to be done is take the shock off and measure from eye to eye to see if it's the same length as a stock one. If it's longer or shorter then it's illegal. I don't know why anyone would want a shorter one in MX though. JMO.
Personally where in the HE$$ did the B.S. 4" rule come from? Whats the point? I don't get it at all, and really what difference does it make if aftermarket shocks are allowed whether they have 3 or 10 inches of travel? its not like they're allowing a-arms and so on so drop the damn 4" rule. Honestly is there ANY logic to it? Sorry to rant but Ive always wondered bout that.
I always thought that "production" rules were kinda to not only help level the playing field but also to push manufacturers to produce competitive equipment. So if a STOCK 50 is long travel yee ha! Its stock. JMO. Im really serious, does anyone know the point? Are the Long Travel apex's ATVA legal for the Limited class?

XXX -rider
01-09-2009, 04:00 PM
^ hmm, I dont see anyway to explain why the rule is ..without tons of typing .. so I wont ...but I think I get the reasoning for it .. & may be wrong tho
but on a side note ,..IMO youth quad racing is just a "big mess"
when it comes to rules/classes etc :o :eek: :huh

quadrider79
01-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by quadscrib
Personally where in the HE$$ did the B.S. 4" rule come from? Whats the point? I don't get it at all, and really what difference does it make if aftermarket shocks are allowed whether they have 3 or 10 inches of travel? its not like they're allowing a-arms and so on so drop the damn 4" rule. Honestly is there ANY logic to it? Sorry to rant but Ive always wondered bout that.
I always thought that "production" rules were kinda to not only help level the playing field but also to push manufacturers to produce competitive equipment. So if a STOCK 50 is long travel yee ha! Its stock. JMO. Im really serious, does anyone know the point? Are the Long Travel apex's ATVA legal for the Limited class?

First the B.S. rule came directly from the ATVA, you know the ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE ASSOCIATION. And from the way you replied you know nothing about the 50cc Stock limited class. The class is supposed to be an entry level class where kids wanting to try the sport of MX can, without there parents spending a ton of cash.

And as far as I know the Apex 50 is NOT legal in the 50 stock limited class.

Steven623
01-09-2009, 09:17 PM
A few years ago when Cobra came out with the 50 production quads, DRR's were making some of there quads 44", 41" etc... I think they came up with the 41" width and 4" stock suspension rule so that the cobras couldn't run with them. Also, I believe when the cobras were built they would have been just about legal for the 50 cc stock/limited classes. Also the Apex has more than 4" travel so then it wouldn't be legal for the stock/limited class either.

brianjlinke
01-10-2009, 09:18 PM
I would think 4 to 7 years old is the age that you would teach a child to race not make the bike as fast as possible. A stock bike at stock speed is safe with stock suspension. I see a lot of careless moves and passes on the track in this class. We should spend more time teaching technique and picking race lines on the track, than in the garage with the quads and not our kids. Spending every dollar you can--is that the answer????

guy310
01-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Good argument.

skyeryder
01-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by brianjlinke
I would think 4 to 7 years old is the age that you would teach a child to race not make the bike as fast as possible. A stock bike at stock speed is safe with stock suspension. I see a lot of careless moves and passes on the track in this class. We should spend more time teaching technique and picking race lines on the track, than in the garage with the quads and not our kids. Spending every dollar you can--is that the answer????

I agree with you, but I also think these kids today are starting younger and younger so by the time they are 5-6 they are getting pretty brave. From my experience racing shocks make the biggest difference on the whole machine. Just this weekend my boy was racing his stock DRX50 against another DRX50 with Elkas, that boy going through the same set of whoops wasn't getting the beating that my boy was. This is my first year in the youth classes, but i think from a safety stand point it's great, a steering stabilizer would be nice also.. just my .02

quadscrib
01-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by quadrider79
First the B.S. rule came directly from the ATVA, you know the ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE ASSOCIATION. And from the way you replied you know nothing about the 50cc Stock limited class. The class is supposed to be an entry level class where kids wanting to try the sport of MX can, without there parents spending a ton of cash.

And as far as I know the Apex 50 is NOT legal in the 50 stock limited class.
Well jeez 79 thanks for pointing out the ATVA thing, I had it narrowed down to the NBA or NASCAR making the rule and forgot the most obvious..Your obviously real quick..:blah:

But hey thanks for clearing up the APEX thing I was pretty sure it wasn't allowed. But again you seem really on the ball so no surprise YOU knew the answer.
I guess I need to do more research on the Limited 50 class so Ill know more what its about next time... you free for tutoring?

hotquads1
01-13-2009, 05:15 PM
I have just got off the phone with Mark at FOX, and with the help of the Fox engineer we were able to determine the shaft travel thus wheel travel of the new shocks installed on DRR. by all accounts the shocks will meet the 4" travel rule with the ATVA.
So let the games begin! those little 50cc limited will be riding on air this year!
marc

#404's Dad
01-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by hotquads1
I have just got off the phone with Mark at FOX, and with the help of the Fox engineer we were able to determine the shaft travel thus wheel travel of the new shocks installed on DRR. by all accounts the shocks will meet the 4" travel rule with the ATVA.
So let the games begin! those little 50cc limited will be riding on air this year!
marc

Thats awesome, good work Marc and Mark!! Does anyone know if this rule will be the same for TT ?

MXfun
01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
What is the stock shock travel on the 50's?

For those that have tried the FOX shocks, how much does it really improve the ride?

Any difference in the kids jumping confidence?

raidernut
01-13-2009, 09:49 PM
there is no better ride than on air!!

hotquads1
01-14-2009, 07:04 AM
radernut has more experience with these new fox's than anyone, he ran the first set and has been the test pilot for the development stage . travel on the Fox's installed on a DRR 50 41" will be 3.8-4.0 inches , a little more if installed on a 44" chassis(leverage). The stock shock travel is advertised at 4" also. I feel sure the adjustability of the Fox's will be a big advantage, I know a few 4-5 year olds that are bottoming the shocks and destroying the swing-arm , bottoming out should be eliminated with a simple air adjustment.
marc

raidernut
01-14-2009, 08:51 PM
We also destroyed a swing arm during testing, but Fox added a little length to the shock, and like marc said with the proper amount of air they should be good to go.

raidernut
01-14-2009, 08:51 PM
We also destroyed a swing arm during testing, but Fox added a little length to the shock, and like marc said with the proper amount of air they should be good to go.