PDA

View Full Version : 250R vs. 400EX

sly400ex
12-17-2002, 09:48 AM
Alrighty...I know they are both great quads....but this is the thing. I already have my 400EX (please look at sig.) slighty modified and I am picking up an all original 87 250R this weekend. How will it compare as far as suspension, handling, power, woods/trail riding, climbing hills....etc.? I am familiar with how 2 strokes powerband also. I had a nice YZ 250 a couple of years ago. But overall, what are the pro's and con's???

raptor_02
12-17-2002, 09:59 AM
The R and the EX will handle pretty close to the same. The R is lighter and probaly will have a little more power. But I have rode many R's and I wouldn't trade my ex for any of them. I am not a fan of 2 strokes but you said you liked them so u might prefer them over the ex. Basically its just the difference in 2stroke and 4 stroke. The ex will have better suspension but no one keeps stock suspension. So it will come down to whatever u like better, 2 or 4 stroke.

sly400ex
12-17-2002, 01:20 PM
bump

12-17-2002, 01:25 PM
I would have to say that the r would win in everything.I know for a fact that it would win in hillclimbing.

RideRed04
12-17-2002, 03:57 PM
Stock for stock, the ex and the r are actually pretty close. The r is a bit lighter, and has about 3 more hp. The r has a bit stiffer suspention. The ex WOULD win the hill climbs just as much as the r. If the climb was technical and slick, the ex would win hands down (comparable riders). If it was a steep hill that was smoother and you just pinned it, the r would win. Add a pipe to each one, the r picks up more. You can get a brand new 400ex, so that adds to its overall reliablity. The 400 is more reliable to start with. The only problem with the 400 is it isnt a "250r" so it doesnt have that magic about it. I'm not cutting on the 250r one bit, I love them. They just arent as great as some people think in stock form.

JTRtrx250r
12-18-2002, 04:11 AM
raptor and Ride,speak the truth.....well said!;)

But I sure love my R!!:D just depends on what you like!;)