PDA

View Full Version : Kymco info wanted

Hutchracer
12-19-2008, 06:32 AM
I was just looking to pic the mind of anybody that has run a Kymco in the past or is currently running one. I've seen a few kids won nationals as well as titles on them so for those of us that have one we know they are not crap. We have had a bit of that at the local flat track series until the daughter tore up the other kids. I'm interested in motor,clutch,dual a-arm info as well as frame mod info. thanks for you time and info Larry

yfz27
12-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Is it a 50 or a 90? My boy raced a two stroke 50 for awhile. Finding aftermarket stuff was not easy. There is another guy on here ww228king who built a nice 50. I believe he had to do a lot of fab work to make most of the parts fit. If its a 90 I think you have more stuff available specific for that bike. I know Kymcos are not crap. He rode that 50 for 4 years and never had a problem. We have since switched to a DRR 90 mainly because it was already set up and performance parts are very easy to get.

ww228king
12-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Hutchracer
I was just looking to pic the mind of anybody that has run a Kymco in the past or is currently running one. I've seen a few kids won nationals as well as titles on them so for those of us that have one we know they are not crap. We have had a bit of that at the local flat track series until the daughter tore up the other kids. I'm interested in motor,clutch,dual a-arm info as well as frame mod info. thanks for you time and info Larry

What year?
2 Stroke or 4 Stroke?
If you look back at the other Kymco threads, it is full of good info to get you going. If it is a 2 stroke I can help you with the details.

Hutchracer
12-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Ok here is what we have it is a 05 50cc 2stroke that had some mods done to it before I bought it the list of mods are as follows:
+2 a-arms they are still singles
Works performance shocks front and rear
AC pro peg nerf bars
Douglas Fronts with ITP Holeshots19"
Douglas Rears with SnowHogs16"
American Racer Front and rear setup for Flat Track
1" rear spacers

ww228king
12-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Ok here is what we have it is a 05 50cc 2stroke that had some mods done to it before I bought it the list of mods are as follows:
+2 a-arms they are still singles
Works performance shocks front and rear
AC pro peg nerf bars
Douglas Fronts with ITP Holeshots19"
Douglas Rears with SnowHogs16"
American Racer Front and rear setup for Flat Track
1" rear spacers
and what type of mod do you need.... PM Bulldogfallon (the G-Force DRR Guy) he can get you the 70cc kit...looks like you are pretty much set on everything else

Hutchracer
12-21-2008, 07:10 PM
I forgot to add that Santa purchased a Polini 70 kit and I have a pipe that still need to go on. I guess my main questions were intake set up ww228king I know that you ran the Polini kit on your Kymco what did you run for an intake setup? Also any opinions on clutch and variator setups would be great.

ww228king
12-21-2008, 07:23 PM
well,, that kit comes with carbon fiber reeds,
I used the stock carb and stock air box,.. the main jet was a 100..
on the air box, i removed the snorkle and turned the lid around backwards to help with the dust...
for the cluthing.... i had it setup for MX so it will not help you for flat track

Hutchracer
12-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. It is still stock engine and clutch with the exceptions of the speed restrictors removed and the green cdi wire is clipped and aluminum sprockets for less weight. The stock clutching seems to work ok for the time being, but what I'm wondering is what other people are running. Even better would be what products work and what ones are a waste of time and money. I was looking at a Malossi variator setup but was wanting the opinions of others before I buy something.

Hutchracer
12-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. It is still stock engine and clutch with the exceptions of the speed restrictors removed and the green cdi wire is clipped and aluminum sprockets for less weight. The stock clutching seems to work ok for the time being, but what I'm wondering is what other people are running. Even better would be what products work and what ones are a waste of time and money. I was looking at a Malossi variator setup but was wanting the opinions of others before I buy something.

ww228king
12-23-2008, 01:15 PM
well... i think that I put most of all my info in my thread, but i will add it here if I left anything out...

My son's was setup for MX so it will be a different setup for TT or Flat track... Josh is 60LBS with gear on...Here is what we ended up with...
1. Polini 70cc kit.. (HC head, cylinder, carbon fiber reed, gaskets, piston, pin, and clips all come in kit)
2. Stock variator with 5gr weights
3. Grinded the front boss down smooth to let the pullies slide together for the topend (stock restricted)
4. Used the stock clutches, just drilled holes into each shoe to lighten them up
5. Used red 2000RPM clutch springs on the clutch shoes (jog malossi springs will work great)
6. Used red 2000RPM torq spring (malossi for a jog engine)... it will seem a little big, but it will fit and work...take out the slider piece because it has a lip on it that keeps the rear pullies from spreeding all the way apart. Some will say that the red is too much for a 70cc , but that its what it took to work like we wanted... that 70cc will pull its *** off... Very close to a stock DRX 90cc.... And I know, I played with my son's new DRX 90cc today and I am a little down about it , but it is stock so I will make some adjustments...
7. Stock belt
8. Stock air box(removed snorkle, removed the rubber insert in the hole of the air box, flipped the lid around to piont out back)
9. Stock pilot jet with a 100 main jet (stock was 80) jet came from Sudco.com
10. By passed the oil injector, removed the pump and fabricated a cover for the hole in the case and then plugged the line on the carb. and also removed the oil tank.. then mixed 104 with 93 and then mix with Amsoil 32:1... And we are about 120 miles form North Carolina Coast....

This setup would pull wheelies like crazy untill we added the +3+2 a-arms and the 19" hole shots on 10" Douglas wheels, and added the Kasea +3 swing arm... now it will just shyt and get with 18" or 16" snow hogs and stock sprokets

THIS IS A KYMCO ENGINE AND NOT A JOG TYPE ENGINE, SO JOG PARTS WILL NOT FIT UNLESS I HAVE NOTED ABOVE THAT THEY WILL!!!!! I LEARNED THE HARD LOST CASH WAY!!!!!

ww228king
12-23-2008, 01:24 PM
70cc kitted Mongoose

ww228king
12-23-2008, 03:00 PM
OH and I almost forgot what really brought the baby to life...
I used a stock DRR 50 Works pipe and modified it to fit on the Mongoose... that really made it alive. I tried a Desert Toyz pipe but it lost on the bottom end big time...

Hutchracer
12-24-2008, 09:15 AM
ww228king thanks for all the info its nice to know if you ask that people will take there time and help you out. Hopefully I am not asking to many redundant questions. All the info is great and helps alot right now my daughter has only given flat track racing a try as she is not quite interested in the MX stuff yet as she says. What type of front a arm setup were you running? I've seen the Rath conversions for the Polaris minis, was it similar? I know that you need to run longer shocks to got to a long travel front end did you feel that it was a big enough improvement over a std travel?

ww228king
12-24-2008, 09:47 AM
ww228king thanks for all the info its nice to know if you ask that people will take there time and help you out. Hopefully I am not asking to many redundant questions. All the info is great and helps alot right now my daughter has only given flat track racing a try as she is not quite interested in the MX stuff yet as she says. What type of front a arm setup were you running? I've seen the Rath conversions for the Polaris minis, was it similar? I know that you need to run longer shocks to got to a long travel front end did you feel that it was a big enough improvement over a std travel?

well,, i do know that the lower a-arms on the Mongoose will interchange with other minis (polaris scrambler, polaris sportsman, eton, and a few more...not kasea unless you are changing the spindles) We ran single a-arms and would have went with the dual set-up, but I knew that he would be growning out of the quad soon and I was gonna get another... so I didn't spend anymore into it.. plus he was winning with what he had.... the dual a-arms is an improvement over the singles, but for Flat Track and TT i would not spend money in long travel because you will never use it... only in MX will long travel pay off... not too sure, but i am guessing that sence the lower a-arms interchanged that you could use the same dual a-arm kits that polaris scrambler and eton uses... the ones that I have seen are simple bolt-ons and look like you have some play to fine tune them... feel free to ask any other questions...

ww228king
12-24-2008, 10:01 AM
another guy that could really help you out big time is Mr. Wentz... his kids have been racing KYMCOs on flat tracks for a a while and they just won one of the Flat Track nationals on a KYMCO and by the pics that i have seen... they are running single a-arms... he was a member here and I have spoke to him on the phone several times... good guy.. if you look on the KYMCO USA web site.. you will see his kids on the factory sponsor page...and thier quads.... you can try to look back at old KYMCO postings and find his name on here and shot him a PM... the name had Wentz in it... they have won a lot of nationals on KYMCO quads