PDA

View Full Version : Weird starting issue...

ti2ibal1
12-19-2008, 01:54 AM
Ever since I installed my exhaust and air filter, I've been having a tough time getting it to start when it's cold. I know, I know, these things are cold blooded, but this is weird.

I'll fully choke it, pump the throttle once and hit the starter. It will crank and crank without firing. Just by dumb luck, I stuck my hand over the exhaust while it was cranking and it fired right up and idled just fine.

I thought it was just a weird coincidence, until the next time I tried to start it. It would crank and crank, so just for grins, I stuck my hand over the tail pipe. Sure enough, it fired right up!

Am I running to small of a pilot? (It's stock.) When it's warm out, I don't have this problem. It's only when the weather is cold.

rdstoner
12-19-2008, 04:33 AM
i would go up one on the piolit that should be fine with the setup you have now. so just take it up to a 40 that should be fine. i had the same problem and i went to a 40 and it took care of my problem.

rcatvrider
12-19-2008, 09:04 AM
My stock ex is really hard to start in the cold. I'd say 30 seconds or more depending on how cold it is and probably 3-5mins of half choke before it will run steady without choke. I'm going with a new filter, pipe, lid, etc. and want to remove the choke so I'm going with a 42 pilot.

hondaman146
12-19-2008, 12:54 PM
mine was starting the same way then i read that u put your hand over the exhaust and mine fired right up to, i have a white bros mx4

hornetgod13
12-19-2008, 01:05 PM
A 40K pilot jet and fuel screw tuning is probably what it needs.

katch26
12-19-2008, 01:26 PM
ws your valve lash?

kilgoja
12-21-2008, 03:39 PM
when it's cold weather i turn my idle speed up a bit and it helps with the starting....still doesn't start right up like the summertime but it does help

Bridgewater
12-21-2008, 07:52 PM
i would jump up to a 42 pilot..cant hurt.
and yeah these things are such a pain to start in the winter, and even when there started they take 20 mins to run normal lol.
they can even b hard in the summer.