PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Bearing Dilemma

Gibson
12-18-2008, 05:41 PM
My carrier bearing went out a day or two ago so i haven't been able to ride it. This is the third time in a year and a half that my carrier bearings have worn out. is this normal or is there something else wrong?

drew416ex
12-18-2008, 08:20 PM
If you over tighten the axle nut they will wear very quickly. The stock single row bearings arnt that great, but should last longer than that. If you can, upgrade to a twin row or tapered carrier.

Gibson
12-19-2008, 06:47 AM
i'm savin up for a twin row carrier rightnow cause i'm tired of this happening. i have a slightly bent axle and warped wheels, could that cause them to wear out quick?

sc400ex_rider
12-19-2008, 06:56 AM
i see alot of carriers going out on here. this is kinda a guess but if you over tight the chain it puts alot of stress and load on it. i cant count how many times people tighten there chain to where is nice and snug unloaded. remember when you sit in it and the swing arm travels it gets tighter thus destroying the chain and sprockets. the factory spec of like 1.5" of play (unloaded) is acceptable. i can get my book out but i think the factory spec is like 1 3/16" to 1 9/16" of slack in the chain. that is on its own weight with no one sitting on it.

Gibson
12-19-2008, 07:02 AM
i don't over tighten my chain, i have about an inch and a half of play in it. i ride mine almost everyday and on good days, i'll put at least three or four hours on it. i also jump it alot and ride in rough rutted terrain, could that be the cause of it?

sc400ex_rider
12-19-2008, 07:11 AM
I guess, i know it was a long shot. I have an 02 bought new and have never had any probs with mine. i run the piss out of mine also. do a search alot of people get the tapered bearing and 4 row bearing carriers. also the jamb nut might be to tight. i dont know the spec. on that but 3 in one year deff sucks.

Gibson
12-19-2008, 07:27 AM
yea tell me about it, i've worked on mine more this year than i've rode it. and i make sure that i dont over tighten the locknut, i'm jus gonna invest in a twin row carrier