PDA

View Full Version : head problem?

01440ex
12-18-2008, 02:14 PM
i just recently did a rebuild on my 400...i put the 416 kit in and...also got a brand new jug with new factory sleeve...put a hot cam stage 2 in it and hmf exhaust...ran great for awhile...now it burns oil really bad and it has great compression...do you think i need the head rebuilt if so anybody that you recommend...if im goin to get it done i would just go ahead and do a port and polish on it also...any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

AZ440ex
12-18-2008, 04:49 PM
I had a similar problem, my engine builder and I thought maybe I just ate up a top end, it turned out to be a cracked valve seat. Pretty simple fix and I was on my way.

If your going to keep the bike a port job is probably worth it if you have to do the valves.

dariusld
12-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by 01440ex
i just recently did a rebuild on my 400...i put the 416 kit in and...also got a brand new jug with new factory sleeve...put a hot cam stage 2 in it and hmf exhaust...ran great for awhile...now it burns oil really bad and it has great compression...do you think i need the head rebuilt if so anybody that you recommend...if im goin to get it done i would just go ahead and do a port and polish on it also...any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Why would you go 416 on a brand new "jug"?

01440ex
12-21-2008, 01:17 PM
because i was usted to a 440 and going back to stock just wasnt goin to cut it...and i also have another stock sleeve if i want to go back to stock...but i also thought and have been hearing that it could be the valve seeds...ill tear her apart and check it out...thanks for the help

soyo
12-21-2008, 08:46 PM
its easy to see if its a valve seal or not. take the header and carb off and look into the ports, if there is oil around the valve stems it is your valve seals! you will have to take the head off to fix them, so you might as well get a port job done at the same time!!! pm me if interested