PDA

View Full Version : Race Gas

TNT
12-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Has any tried running aviation gas with an additive such as diesel oil as an alternative to race gas? Race gas is $8-12/gal around here and I hear some get the same results(motor octane) from av fuel at $3/gal.

WesDS450X
12-18-2008, 01:50 PM
im just running 93 octane with octane booster

joeyds450x
12-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by WesDS450X
im just running 93 octane with octane booster
ive heard thats not good for your motor in the long run

i have ran turbo blue but like you said the $8 a gollon is a little to much for me lol

Mr. Big Time
12-18-2008, 03:24 PM
I also run 93 octane, but no octane booster, dont need it.

LTRracer4
12-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by TNT1
Has any tried running aviation gas with an additive such as diesel oil as an alternative to race gas? Race gas is $8-12/gal around here and I hear some get the same results(motor octane) from av fuel at $3/gal.

ive ran aviation fuel but i dont know about the diesel oil in it? The main thing about aviation fuel that compares it to race fuel, other then the octane is it being leaded. it provides more lubrication for hotter faster reving motors. Plane run full out for long periods of time so the lead is necasary.

WesDS450X
12-18-2008, 06:53 PM
iv been running octane booster in all my motors, never had a problem with it just use the correct amount per gal. the ds def loves the octane booster xD

florentino
12-18-2008, 07:05 PM
waste of money, its all about piston comp you can run 95 to be safe no more.. i run 109 sunoco race gas. on my 13 to 1 comp on my yfz and got the holeshot on my hollister ranch races.

Blizzard24
12-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Anything more than Premium in a stock more usually hurts performance, higher octane is used to prevent predetonation which will destroy a motor.

The higher the octane the higher the flash point is so in a stock compression motor you would need more compression to assist in burning the fuel, therefore losing power instead of gaining power... high comp motors need the higher flash point so there isnt predetonation due to the higher pressure in the cylinder which causes fuel to ignite earlier (picture a piston trying to come up to TDC only to be rammed downward by an explosion before it reaches TDC... it can get ugly)

As for Octane booster... I would NEVER run that in any vehicle, not a car, not a quad, not my sons Power Wheels

Again, bumping the Octane is creating a higher flash point so you are losing power unless you have the compression or spark to burn it properly.

Mr. Big Time
12-18-2008, 11:17 PM
why wouldnt you run octane booster? I never use it, but I dont have a reason why, I just dont use it. But I dont know anything about it. However, octane booster sounds kinda fishy to me, people who wanted a higher octane gas could just buy that and not an actual higher octane gas and save money.

Blizzard24
12-19-2008, 06:43 AM
The biggest issue w octane booster from what I have heard (so please take this w a grain of salt) is the inconsistancy of the final octane number, too many variables and no quality control involved w doing it yourself and the stuff never gets close to what the bottle says it will move the octane to.

So if you NEED 105 octane you may only be at 96 (Up from premium 93/94) and still have predetonation.

mebcop
12-19-2008, 06:48 AM
People who are running above 93 octane fuel with stock compression obviously don't know how a motor works.... You WILL NOT gain any power unless you are detonating on 93... which with a stock piston and compression you will not be!!! WASTE OF MONEY ON IGNORANCE!!!! LOOK IT UP GUYS

TNT
12-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Blizzard24
Anything more than Premium in a stock more usually hurts performance, higher octane is used to prevent predetonation which will destroy a motor.

The higher the octane the higher the flash point is so in a stock compression motor you would need more compression to assist in burning the fuel, therefore losing power instead of gaining power... high comp motors need the higher flash point so there isnt predetonation due to the higher pressure in the cylinder which causes fuel to ignite earlier (picture a piston trying to come up to TDC only to be rammed downward by an explosion before it reaches TDC... it can get ugly)

As for Octane booster... I would NEVER run that in any vehicle, not a car, not a quad, not my sons Power Wheels

Again, bumping the Octane is creating a higher flash point so you are losing power unless you have the compression or spark to burn it properly.

Blizzard hits the nail on the head…….too much octane and not enough compression can cause knocking and ruin an engine. I been looking into av gas and back in the 1920s the lead deposits actually harmed engines and the enviroment but todays av fuel have compounds in the gas to remove lead. The lead is a anti knock agent. I've heard from people that have ran it in their high compression motors for years. I may give it a try in a old carb YAM motor and see how it goes. I'm skeptic on a EFI motor like the DS> Not convinced to try it on a brand new 09 yet. :eek2:

LTRracer4
12-19-2008, 10:10 AM
I've had a high comp piston in my bike, but i took it out because i like the stock one better. i run VP113 (its oxyginated) and i notice huge results. im sure it could have alot to do with the oxygen, but my bike seams to run better on 110 then it does on 93. Team suzuki runs stock pistons if im not mistaken, and they run MRX01

WesDS450X
12-19-2008, 01:12 PM
well its either you can run the octane booster or dont, i can notice the lil gains its makes in the bottem end when i run the booster+93 octane and iv been runnin that now for about 7 months and havent had a single problem

joeyds450x
12-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by WesDS450X
well its either you can run the octane booster or dont, i can notice the lil gains its makes in the bottem end when i run the booster+93 octane and iv been runnin that now for about 7 months and havent had a single problem
not yet neways

TNT
12-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Wes and others that think they can defy the laws of physics and chemistry that have been proven for centuries don't be fooled be grateful that you have a good support team out here that knows what they are talking about that will help you keep your Can Am running strong for years to come. :)

WesDS450X
12-19-2008, 09:52 PM
**** son im rewriting the laws of physics of right as we speak

ds450racer
12-20-2008, 04:05 AM
I thought the only difference rase gas made was that it kept the engine nicer inside. When you take the head and such off when you have run race gas youwill find a film over the piston and that. It wont give you more power at all. Just contains more led.

TNT
12-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Wes that was funny! Post your finding's lol. DS450, race gas and higher compression make more hp and torque....The film on the engine is carbon, you'll find it on most engines. Detergents added to fuel help it stay clean.

k4f5x0r
12-20-2008, 03:49 PM
k well from all of the storys ive read octane booster caused premature engine wear and eventually led to it blowing up. in one case it send a guys rod through the cases. BONE stock motor. using 87+lucas octane booster.

race gas on stock compression looses power because it does not burn it fully.

race gas (or higher octane in general) burns MUCH slower and cooler. makes more power in high comp motors and needed to be able to have the power to shoot teh piston back.

so whatim saying is. use 93. anyrthing over 13.5 compression use race gas. anyone who uses octane booster. you fell into a scam. it doesnt do **** except make your exhaust smell terrible. and i suggest you switch before you do some damage to your motor.