PDA

View Full Version : About to Buy an 06 YFZ450SE

Ry007
12-18-2008, 12:36 AM
HI, I am about to purchase an 06 YFZ450se, the yellow and black one. I am getting it for $2500 cash. It is in really good shape and has been well maintained. The motor sounds good. Is there anything I should look for before I commit to buying it? Any help is appreciated.
It has a few add-ons like
AC nerf bars
AC front bumper
AC rear grab bar
AC skid plate
Full GYTR exhaust
K&N Filter and jetting
Pro Taper bars
Moose throttle
Rear paddle tires and wheels
ASV clutch and brake lever
Good deal? No? Sorry I have no pics to share....

daddio
12-18-2008, 06:28 AM
Sounds like a great deal. The only real problem the '06 had, was the bolts behind the starter gear were backing out. Just take the cover off the starter (2 bolts on the left side) pull the gear out, and check the 2 side cover bolts that you will now see.

It's probably time for a new piston and rings. $300 max if you do it yourself. A little less if you really shop for parts.

Ry007
12-19-2008, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. You really think that it'll need a new piston and rings? It has never been raced or anything and runs strong(well for almost stock). I think it'll keep up with my 440EX. Well I'll pick it up this weekend and immediately check those bolts behind the starter. I figure, in WA I can atleast turn it for 4k untouched if I don't like it :D .

Ride1Rob
12-19-2008, 05:44 AM
If it's running like it's supposed to it'll outperform your 440ex. Like Daddio said you probably should replace the piston and rings. Find out how much time is on the topend or how long it's been since it's been replaced. If never, probably something you need to do or have done. That's a very good price btw.

daddio
12-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Ry007
Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. You really think that it'll need a new piston and rings? It has never been raced or anything and runs strong(well for almost stock). I think it'll keep up with my 440EX. Well I'll pick it up this weekend and immediately check those bolts behind the starter. I figure, in WA I can atleast turn it for 4k untouched if I don't like it :D .

Since you are just down the road from me :D bring it over when you get it, and I can "leak down" test it, to see for sure.

If it's really in that good of shape, then 4K is about the going price, used.

TilltheEnd
12-19-2008, 02:11 PM
sounds like a good deal. just go over it from top to bottom check the fluids, filter condition, brakes, etc. that should give you a good idea of whether it was maintained or not. good luck with the new purchase