PDA

View Full Version : help re thread experts!!

rollie
12-17-2008, 07:21 PM
i just got my valve cover back from powdercoat and what do i do, snap the bolt that holds the little plate on the top of it, what can i do? im not sure theres enough left to rethread it, fill it with JB weld then drill/tap?? im out of idea's i feel like an idiot, please help me out a new ones $155, f that!

thanks

the one on the right is the stripped one

Pappy
12-17-2008, 07:24 PM
fill..drill and tap would probably work.

not sure why they coated the inside, those covers have an oil shedding coating thats designed to cause oil to shed off the cover

rollie
12-17-2008, 07:26 PM
yeah i dont know why they did either, you wouldnt happen to have one lying around youd PC and sell me would you? haha wortha shot i guess

im going to try to drill/tap it but nt sure the sides are thick enough, i guess we will find out haha

Pappy
12-17-2008, 07:28 PM
no i sure dont

SRH
12-17-2008, 07:40 PM
is that any fault of the company that pced? ive found dealing with pappy is the safer and usually the cheaper route than the local yokels, plus he knows atv's

Mxjunkie
12-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Whoops on their part! :p

rollie
12-17-2008, 08:24 PM
i know right, hahaha oh well i guess stripping it out might have been an omen, im tryin to find another one cheap then prob send it to pappy to get done correctly.

trick450r
12-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by rollie
i know right, hahaha oh well i guess stripping it out might have been an omen, im tryin to find another one cheap then prob send it to pappy to get done correctly.

i would fill, drill, tap...if you really want a new one though nick chances are likely i have one somewhere, or two lol

xsr_racing28c
12-18-2008, 09:13 AM
I would be careful using that valve cover now that the inside is pc'd. If any of that pc were to chip off or flake and get down into the bottom end you might have issues with an oil passage way getting plugged. I had this happen a couple years ago with one of my Honda's exept it was with some RTV that got in a passage way after using it on a clutch cover. I learned from that and have watched it ever since.

Just a heads up for a fellow member!!! :)

thanks, Jay