PDA

View Full Version : Glowing head pipe after HMF slip-on install

juicedz
12-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Just got done installing a HMF slip-on on my 07 400ex. Started it up, just a little loud. Looking for exhaust leaks I found that my head pipe is glowing cherry red at the head. Never noticed this on the stock pipe. Could be because I was never looking at it. Also I noticed a little bit of backfires threw the carb. I am suspecting that jetting will help with this? If so looks like I need to get a new airfilter and jet accordingly. Here is how red she was. :eek2:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j191/juicedz/ATV/glowingexhaust.jpg

leasureryan
12-17-2008, 04:06 PM
give it the proper amount of fuel! You are LEAN!!!!

juicedz
12-17-2008, 04:28 PM
looks like i need santa to bring me a jet kit.

12-17-2008, 04:33 PM
oh...most jet kits are bad...go to http://www.jetsrus.com/main_page.htm
and read the "jets and jetting" as well as the "how to rejet" faqs to the left...

lean is really bad, don't ride it until you get it rejetted

ti2ibal1
12-17-2008, 04:55 PM
I had mine do the same thing last winter. 5th gear, damn near WOT, and the header pipes would glow about 2 inches off the head. Nothing even remotely as bad as yours!

DO NOT RIDE THAT THING! Don't waste your money on a jet kit. Just buy individual mains and pilots. It's much cheaper and easier than trying to do conversions, IMO.

Stoke88
12-17-2008, 05:20 PM
If a jet kit doesn't fix that your in trouble.

katch26
12-17-2008, 05:35 PM
lid off too?, if you put the lid back on it should be rideable (I wouldnt run it either way) but much better than what you got there

juicedz
12-17-2008, 05:40 PM
The lid was on. Still have the stock filter. Time to go to the shop and get some jets and a filter. The only way I will ride it is if it snows and I out the factory pipe back on. Any ideas on the jets to get?

katch26
12-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by juicedz
The lid was on. Still have the stock filter. Time to go to the shop and get some jets and a filter. The only way I will ride it is if it snows and I out the factory pipe back on. Any ideas on the jets to get?

.......dang.......sorry no help there. I like the "jet kit" though just not Dyno Jet for the sole reason not everyone uses them so it not apples to apples, if not just got to the dealer ask them what they think and get a couple either side

Honda10
12-17-2008, 06:06 PM
if your gona go with jets-r-us like I did your gona need a needle from a older modle cuz the 400ex's from 05-09 are not adjustable.

rdstoner
12-17-2008, 06:18 PM
i have a hmf slip on and my dealer said that one size up on the main and one size up on the piolit should do it but you will have to mess with the air fuel a little. and with the new needle you wont have to get one from an older bike, you just need a special tool to adjust it and my dealer said that they could prolly get me one if i needed it so you dont have to get a older needle but you can.

leasureryan
12-17-2008, 07:29 PM
hahaha....one size on the main ain't gonna do jack **** for how lean that puppy is. I'm surprised it even runs

juicedz
12-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Im gonna go tomorrow to the dealer and show them the picture and see what they say. Hopefully it wont cost to much. As far as running I was just out there messing with it and its not as bad now. Don't know why but yeah. I got it to idle better but am not gonna ride it till i get some more fuel in there. To bad its not a Gm or subaru i could either reprogram it or throw some injectors in there and be good. HAHAH

ti2ibal1
12-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Have you ever messed with the jetting? If the jetting is stock, I'd just get a 155 main and a 40 pilot for starters. That should get you running good enough so that you can fine tune it, should you want to.

For the love of God, do not ride that bike until you change the jetting! You said the header glows like that just sitting at idle? I've got an HMF slip-on and a Uni filter with the lid on and mine runs like a million bucks with a 155 main and 36 (stock) pilot. That's why I'm asking if it's doing that at idle. If so, something ain't right!

miller821
12-17-2008, 11:28 PM
I don't see whats wrong with a night lite?:p

But no... Jet it and it'll be fine.

justin1022
12-18-2008, 07:12 AM
somthongs wrong hear i can almost garrenty you everyone on this site whohas put a slip on there quad has never had there pipe glow with stock jetting and alot of them are hmf if you want you can reach the main jet from were its at without pulling anything just turn your gas of and at the bottom of the carb there should be a big nut i think its 17mm and then some fuel should come out once you drop that nut and then put a 7mm in there and get it out and read it bet u it isnt stock. stock i belive is 148

juicedz
12-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by ti2ibal1
Have you ever messed with the jetting? If the jetting is stock, I'd just get a 155 main and a 40 pilot for starters. That should get you running good enough so that you can fine tune it, should you want to.

For the love of God, do not ride that bike until you change the jetting! You said the header glows like that just sitting at idle? I've got an HMF slip-on and a Uni filter with the lid on and mine runs like a million bucks with a 155 main and 36 (stock) pilot. That's why I'm asking if it's doing that at idle. If so, something ain't right!

That was at idle with slight throttle, just enough so it wouldnt stall. I have never done anything to the jets in the ATV at this point. no one else has either unless they put something in different from the factory as I bought it new. Just got back from the local shop, not the dealer, and they say use the dyno jet kit as it is more complete and comes with everything. So at lunch im off to the dealer and get another opinion.

storms400ex
12-18-2008, 09:59 AM
i have a 05 400ex i put a fmf slip-on and a filter. i run a 155 main, one up on the pilot jet and i raised my needle, which mean i lowered the clip one notch.

justin1022
12-18-2008, 06:18 PM
dont get dyno there junk you have to get this special adapter it does come in the kit but still. and there jet izes are messed you no how people hear are saying to put a 155 in well in a dyno jet thats like a 130 or somthing mine is supost ot have a 170 but has a 155 dyno jet and its equvilant to a 170. id just get the same jets as your carb is i think your carb is kehin or somthing like that the dealer sells the jets 1 by one.

juicedz
12-18-2008, 07:59 PM
OK. Went to the dealer and they recommended using a jet kit. So they ordered me one. I was going to get one on line bt I get a 10% military discount so it was a no brainer. Looking at the receipt its a fmf jet kit. Either way I would have to wait since they dont have the jets in stock either. It should come in on tuesday next week so I will keep an update. So has anyone used the FMF kit?? Any issues or anything to look out for. I want to ride so If it dont get fixed the stock pipe is going back on for a little bit.

juicedz
12-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Also if you live near york PA and would like to help with the install i always have beer on hand

ti2ibal1
12-19-2008, 12:48 AM
If I lived closer, I'd be down to lend a hand.

I'm not to hip with the FMF jet kit, but I'd just install the equivalent of a 152 main and a 40 pilot. That should put you right where you need to be with the stock air filter. Should you change to a Uni, I'd up the main to a 155. Personally, I'd rather be a touch rich, rather than be lean.

12-19-2008, 03:33 AM
i am pretty sure that the fmf jet kit is a rebadged dyno junk kit

3or4HONDA
12-19-2008, 04:54 AM
you should be fine with the FMF kit, i used the dynojet kit when i put on my hmf and had no problems. but you will want a new filter and lose the lid.

rcatvrider
12-19-2008, 08:59 AM
My friend ordered a fmf jet kit and what came in the mail was a dynojet kit, nothing rebadged, it was just a genuine dynojet kit.

hornetgod13
12-19-2008, 10:36 AM
You'll need to change the pilot jet, needle clip, and main jet. I know dyno jet kits don't come with pilot jets. You can order individual pilot jets from www.jetsrus.com I would start with a 40K pilot and adjust the fuel screw. You might need to bump it up to a 42K.

Initially, I had a dynojet kit but, due to jetting issues, I went back to all kehien jets.