PDA

View Full Version : CR500 rear linkage question?

Buttermilk
12-17-2008, 03:27 PM
I've have heard of people using the rear linkage from a CR500 on the TRX250R.

Does anyone know what this is all about?

I assume that the link that is being used is the link that bolts to the frame and extends back to where the lower shock mount is.

Is this correct?

While I know that what is being accomplished is a change in the geometry, I am wondering if this change is because the link is shorter or longer?

I am needing to find a link that is longer than the standard 1987 link (the one that attaches to the frame - not the swingarm...).

Reason I am asking is I just installed a 400EX swingarm on my 1987 250R and it looks good (like it came from the factory....:))

The swingarm is "nearly" a bolt on swap, but there were some modifications that were needed to get it to slide right in. (I'll post up some pictures in a couple of days....)

The 400EX swingarm has the rear linkage pivot point right at one (1) inch further back than what the stock 250R '87 model does. By using a Durablue adjustable dogbone the linkage all bolts up correctly. The Durablue dogbone is adjusted so that it is about 1" longer than the stock '87 dogbone which works out great.

However, now that the pivot point for the lingage is now 1" farther back, the leverage ratio is changed and the the rear shock is pretty stiff. I only have a couple of threads of preload left on the spring, which would help, but still won't be enough. The shock is set at the softest compression setting, but it's gonna be real harsh on rough terrain. Probably work fine on a TT/Flattrack course.

So that brings me back to the CR500 linkage. Is it longer than the stock '87 250R?

Thanks.

Rog

Buttermilk
12-17-2008, 03:48 PM
OK, did some searching (should have done that first....) and I think I answered my own question.

The CR500 rear link conversion is not some simple swap of a link....

Thanks.