PDA

View Full Version : IRS Owners - thoughts?

scuzz
12-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Would you ever go back to SRA? Having owned both (and I assume you have) which do you prefer?

I'll ask the same question in the 700xx forum too.

Thanks guys!

What don't you like?

Would you suggest it to a buddy?

GE4x4
12-17-2008, 03:33 PM
I raced the 06 500 and 07 525 since they came out. So I really like the irs. In one race tho I had to race my brothers Pred and it's been a long time since I was on a sra quad. I was suprised how much better it took corners over the irs. His turned on a dime in the tight stuff while mine pushed ( to much traction). But other then that, I've been very happy with the irs. But if I was a A class or better racer, I think I would take a sra over it. The sra just are much lighter and handle corners better. Plus if I was a A class or better, I would be in better shape to handle the ruffer ride. But even his Pred wasn't that bad and he had stock suspension. So a fully built quad would soak up the bumps allmost as good. But a fully built IRS would be like racing on a cloud. You just need to adjust your style a bit and handle the extra weight.:macho

somewon
12-17-2008, 04:21 PM
I would own another SRA quad, but I don't think I could get rid of my IRS.

I love my IRS and I would say that it makes for a better "all around" than my SRA quad could have been. I run mine in all kinds of different events/terrains and have yet to find anything that really slowed it down. I have to agree w/ GE that a SRA definately has it's advantages.

GE4x4
12-17-2008, 05:01 PM
But to set things straight, my plan is still getting a 09 Outlaw IRS. I don't get to ride as much as before, so the IRS lets me still be competative at the races as I don't get worn down as fast from lack of practice. In fact I won 2 race last year and didn't practice inbetween. So I know the IRS helped me win those.:D

willb
12-17-2008, 08:38 PM
I will only discuss the 525. I have ridden both and wont even waste time on this vs that.

The SRA's are preferred in MX and others due to:
Turn Better as stated
Better in the whoops
Less moving items to go bad
Not the fad quad with cheap aftermarket

I think with the right support and set up the IRS is just as fast or faster in the Hare/GNCC type terrains for the average rider. I think for trail riding that it is the fastest quad out there.

They have also won in several events in the pro ranks

My reason for purchase:

KTM reliability and power
Innovation and ride

I havent been happier.
I plan on racing and I see no reason why my 08' wont be there for me for the next 3 to 4 years. I also trail ride with my family and friends.

Steering issue: The setup produces alot of traction thus always "pushing" you. I also have ordered the Razr2's for the front that is supposed to help the steering.

Power: It is already fast but the JD jetting and correct piping uncorks more power per dollar than any other bike that I have owned.

Real plus's:

I can ride hard all day and not be fatigued.
I can take a jump and not land perfect and NOT CRASH.
I can go anywhere without getting HUNG up.
I can grab hold of the throttle and go faster than I ever need to.

If I ever try to MX which my Cancer surgeon would have a heart attack to, I may buy the 450 MX>

Hope that helps

SSJEFF
12-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Owned
05 predator
06outlaw500IRS
06outlaw500IRS
07Outlaw525IRS
08Outlaw450mxr

Currently own the last 2

IRS- Custom axis all the way around

MXR- Fox Float Evol fronts with custom podium rear

IRS- I love and will not get rid of. Like others have said, I race and in the tight stuff it pushes. I am working on it to get rid of the push and not loose the ability to fly through woops pinned in 5th. I have some ideas. The IRS will leave my fastest buddies in the rouugh creek beds and I am not as sore riding it. I will keep it for muddy, rough races and for Rec riding. The IRS is great for drag racing since it hooks up way better.

MXR- I got this to see if I would like the SRA in racing. I like it so far but have only practiced. It turns a lot better than the IRS so far and I am faster on it. Just from the practices I have done I am planning on kicking but this year. This quad will only be used for racing. If I go out to play it will be on my IRS.

I think I am faster on the IRS than ,y predator because the 525 is lighter and more powerful than the predator. My predator did not have custom suspension also.

I agree with what Willb said.

IMO, the IRS is great for open places and desert racing. It will be intersting to see taylors setup he is building with long travel all the way around on his IRS desert racer. See predatorowners for that build.

scuzz
12-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Great stuff guys!

Keep 'em coming.

TYLER329
12-18-2008, 12:57 PM
I had 04, 05 Predators and the 06 500 Outlaw and now the 525 IRS (07) I think that they are one of the best out there. I think they made all of the right changes for 2009 and someday as they get IRS perfected their will be one from every manufacturer.

sparks1032
12-18-2008, 01:00 PM
My reason is much the same as the prior posts, I have a solid axle and after riding the same trails (not racing) I get much more of a work out with the sold axle. When I switch to the IRS it is like riding a Cadillac and keeps me from getting tired as fast or as beat up!

My brother who has owned several solid axle quads and refuses to by an ATV rides his KTM 300 EXC bike when we ride the quads and rode the IRS outlaw and said it is a dirt bike type power and fun without having to work as hard as he does riding his bike!!!!!!!!!!

eerhard09
12-18-2008, 02:26 PM
I love the IRS! I switched to the 07 525IRS from a 2003 Z400 that I had built. It has Elka all the way around and I still felt abused after a day of aggressive trail riding and aggressive duning. Now, on the Outlaw, I never feel beat up! Ok, once, when I raced my first HS on the Outlaw, i was feeling rough for the next couple days but I also had not prepared for it physically. When i trail ride with my buddies, I rarely if ever get sore from it when riding the Outlaw. I love the handling and the power as well as the comfort level! And, not getting hung up on the rutted *** trails of N.E. Ohio is a huge plus!!!!

montycarlo
12-18-2008, 11:34 PM
After reading this I am wondering if someone out there wants to trade an 08 450MXR for a 525IRS!!!! :D Am a guy that races 1 sunday a month with no seat time in between and this sounds like my machine!

scuzz
01-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Do you think IRS quads should have a larger sway bar or do you think that having some flex allows the suspension to work better?

What kind of racing do you do?

montycarlo
01-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
Do you think IRS quads should have a larger sway bar or do you think that having some flex allows the suspension to work better?

What kind of racing do you do?

I think it's probably a tradeoff. Stiffer bar would mean better cornering performance but a more flexible bar would allow the ride to be more plush and do what the IRS was intended to do.

I race XC.

sheriff525
03-05-2009, 12:55 PM
the other day i planned on going riding with my dad (who has a 525 IRS like me) and with two other buddies who have utility quads. Unfortunatly is rained in the middle of the night and then it turned into about 4 inches of snow. We still decided to go.

Well i have to say my buddies who at first did not want to come with us because they thought they were going to be pulling us out of the snow the whole time. they were amazed by the end of the day at what the outlaw could do. I climbed hills faster and easier that they could i never got stuck once and i was forging the trail the majority of the time. The outlaw irs flat out rocks. I will never go back to a straight axel. My buddy who has a 800 outlander told me at the end of the day that he wants to trade in his quad and get an outlaw now.

he also told me a storey of the last time he went out with some guys with sport quads and he was pulling them up hills, and out of snow banks and had a horrible time. this time he was having a hard time keeping up. You should have seen his face when i climbed our first big hill. his jaw hit the ground. I guess it means that me and my dad can really ride or the outlaw is really good. I say both!