PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Ford F250 King Ranch .. owner opinions needed

Quad18star
12-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Looking for some insight from some King Ranch owners. I have the chance to buy an 06 King Ranch F250 . The motor has 101 000 KM ( 60 000 miles) ... fully loaded , full exhaust, lift and a few other things.

Are there any known problems with these trucks? Anything to look out for when buying? I did a google search and all I came up with as far as recalls was some headlight issues on certain few.

Looking for real world opinions from owners of these vehicles. I'm still debating between this type of vehicle or a new Toyota Tundra .... or maybe just hold off and see what happens now that the Auto Bailout isn't going to happen ... maybe some good deals on new stuff in the near future?!?!

Here's the truck anyways.....

hardkoratvmxr
12-17-2008, 12:44 PM
the motors in those trucks are fairly decent. the transmission doesnt like a lot of power though

Scottt89
12-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Other than the issues with the 6L Powerstroke, I don't know of any major problems with the rest of the truck.

mittman
12-17-2008, 09:50 PM
my uncle has the same truck only different color and a 7.3 diesel. he loves it. he has yet to have any major problems with it. btw thats a good looking truck.

xsr_racing28c
12-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Quad18star: My family owns a truck dealership and to be quite honest, we will not even buy or take trade on a 6.0L anymore. We heard horror story after horror story on them and actually we've have 4 - 6.0L F550's go in for major $4000+ repairs with less than 60K miles on them in the last 6 months. In fact we've got a customer that just turned in his truck for repo because he couldn't afford to pay his bill. Sad but true.... :(

Just lookin out for ya. The 7.3L is about the only good diesel Ford has. I hear people are having trouble with the new 6.4L's too.

Jay

scuzz
12-18-2008, 09:48 AM
You may want to check out the Ford forums, those guys will likely tell you that the previous owners maintenance records are the key. I know that oil changes should be religious for the turbo and that exhaust gas temperatures should be monitored like a hawk if you mod it in any way. Overheating these motors often cause a cataclysmic chain of events that lead to serious and complete engine failure.

Youtube has a bunch of videos on the how and why as well as the sequence of events that cause it, which invariable always starts with a blown head gasket.

I'm not trying to scare you, or steer you away, just make sure that the previous owner, or the dealer has the maintenance very well documented and that you are confident that the motor wasn't modded.

Be very prudent.

I love how those trucks look though. Really nice!

diangelo#67
12-18-2008, 07:39 PM
if your spending all your money to buy it. dont, the truck will be fine but reqiure you maintain them alot, fuel filters every oil change. things like that but I have an 05 6.0 with 56k miles on it has a few things wrong, but runs good
the head gaskets from the factory go out fast
injectors
turbo
are all known problems with that motor

those motors are also know for excessive power when built

Quad18star
12-18-2008, 08:58 PM
After doing some more research and hearing what you guys have to say .... I think I'll save my money and avoid future costly expenses.

Going to look at an '07 Tundra 4x4 tomorrow.

S.A.J
12-18-2008, 10:00 PM
i wouldnt necisarily turn away from diesel though,diesel trucks rock theres always the d-max and cumins,unless of course you dont like em,lol.but yes i do wonder also whats gona hapen with the big 3 since the bailouts nuthin

scuzz
12-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
After doing some more research and hearing what you guys have to say .... I think I'll save my money and avoid future costly expenses.

Going to look at an '07 Tundra 4x4 tomorrow.

Can't go wrong with that for sure.

blacknblue#2
12-18-2008, 10:58 PM
I grew up in a diesel house as i call it. I dont think you can go wrong with that truck DEPENDING on the price. When ford released the 6.0 in mid 03 they had alot of problems. When Navistar/international built this engine they rated it at 215 horse. There was no way that was gonna compete with todays diesels so ford took it in their own hand to bump it up. THey may have got away with that if everyone who bought these trucks kept stuff stock anymore. Not gonna happen and an engine is only engineered to take so much so they ran into problems and it really hurt Ford after their bulletproof 7.3. After realizing what was going on they Navistar worked on the problem. I have an 06 6.0 that i drive every day. Its got an SCT program custom tuned by innovative diesel for 150 horse stacked on top of a quadzilla 120 horse box. I cant blow this thing up i have tried. I drive it like its a 4x4 mustang and just dont care. When i give 37k for something i plan to do with it what i want to and i wanted this truck to have the joys of high performance and still be able to use it. My truck is a 6spd. To the ppl that say the Auto wont take alot of power? show me one that will take ALOT of power? Dodge autos wont hold up to a stock 318, let alone a 600 ft lbs Cummins. Gettin an auto tranny to hold DECENT power is all in shift points. We have an 06 crew cab auto that runs my same tune with some injector work and it is on the stock tranny with 50,000 on it, but when it shifts it about breaks your neck thanks to innovatives tuning. So dont let the horror stories of the 100,000 bad trucks ford has built out of the billions of trucks on the road. That right there is a dam sharp truck, and more than likely if it was gonna have any problems it woulda done had them. I say if thats what you want then buy it. I dont know about canada but in the states right now is the time to buy a diesel truck. They last value bad.

S.A.J
12-18-2008, 11:44 PM
lol yeah,my dad has an 05 6.0 with a bullydog 140hp programer and its right around 100,000 mark and we bought it when it had 36k i believe or less,and its got idk mayb 30k with the extra 140hp and so far so good,cept for an oil leak that waranty covered(think we had to bring it in twice though cause they missed it the first time)and the digital fuel milage thing that tells you how many miles till empty,well it dont work either,we ran outa diesel couple times causa that thing,the lowest it said outa all them times of runin out was rite round 40miles till empty and that hapened once in california(had to call a wrecker to get us diesel)and once in washington d.c i think and another time somwhere else i think,not sure cant member but yes,dont trust them things.

Kickstarts-suck
12-18-2008, 11:59 PM
My uncle has a 05 6.0 and hasnt had any problems with it. I think most of the problems with the 6.0s were when they were still new.

Giz400ex
12-19-2008, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star

Going to look at an '07 Tundra 4x4 tomorrow. I've been in the same situation as you for almost 3-4 years and still going on. I would love a diesel but I wouldn't be using it for whats it is intended for. I've seriously looked at the tundra and that is a beautiful truck. Roomy as heck and enough power to tow and haul! A suggestion, look for the 5.7, the 4.7 will be gone soon as it lacks power vs 5.7 and gets almost same mpg. good luck:D

scuzz
12-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
They last value bad.

Um....what?

Giz400ex
12-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by scuzz
Um....what? I'm :confused:

400exrider707
12-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
I grew up in a diesel house as i call it. I dont think you can go wrong with that truck DEPENDING on the price. When ford released the 6.0 in mid 03 they had alot of problems. When Navistar/international built this engine they rated it at 215 horse. There was no way that was gonna compete with todays diesels so ford took it in their own hand to bump it up. THey may have got away with that if everyone who bought these trucks kept stuff stock anymore. Not gonna happen and an engine is only engineered to take so much so they ran into problems and it really hurt Ford after their bulletproof 7.3. After realizing what was going on they Navistar worked on the problem. I have an 06 6.0 that i drive every day. Its got an SCT program custom tuned by innovative diesel for 150 horse stacked on top of a quadzilla 120 horse box. I cant blow this thing up i have tried. I drive it like its a 4x4 mustang and just dont care. When i give 37k for something i plan to do with it what i want to and i wanted this truck to have the joys of high performance and still be able to use it. My truck is a 6spd. To the ppl that say the Auto wont take alot of power? show me one that will take ALOT of power? Dodge autos wont hold up to a stock 318, let alone a 600 ft lbs Cummins. Gettin an auto tranny to hold DECENT power is all in shift points. We have an 06 crew cab auto that runs my same tune with some injector work and it is on the stock tranny with 50,000 on it, but when it shifts it about breaks your neck thanks to innovatives tuning. So dont let the horror stories of the 100,000 bad trucks ford has built out of the billions of trucks on the road. That right there is a dam sharp truck, and more than likely if it was gonna have any problems it woulda done had them. I say if thats what you want then buy it. I dont know about canada but in the states right now is the time to buy a diesel truck. They last value bad.

If you knew that much about the 6.0 you would realize you cant stack those two programmers together, one would just over-write the other. You're only running the last one installed, sorry to burst your bubble.

I've got an 06 as well with Innovative tuning and I run extreme race daily.

The 6.0 in stock form is pretty solid. If you do an EGR delete and put ARP headstuds in they are VERY reliable, back to 7.3 reliability. I drive mine pretty reasonably. I just had a torque converter go bad in mine at 41k miles though, but I'm convinced it was just a fluke. Mine is going in for headstuds second week of january, then I'm deleting the EGR off of it! Should be a pretty rock solid truck at that point.

As far as transmissions go the 5R110 is probably the best one you can buy in the diesel trucks. The allison is great, if kept stock, they wont hold much more than 100hp over stock. The dodge wont do a boosted launch stock because they are so terrible. I can launch mine at about 16-17psi in 4x4 and haven't had any issues with the internals of the trans. I know quite a few guys running low 12 1/4's on 35" tires with stock tranny.

scuzz
12-29-2008, 02:09 PM
lol

It was a recall item, but funny none-the-less

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dKLKm5i2ic

dKLKm5i2ic

Quad18star
12-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
lol

It was a recall item, but funny none-the-less

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dKLKm5i2ic

dKLKm5i2ic

Some people pay big money to have their vehicles do that . :p

400exrider707
12-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Wrong motor in that youtube vid... thats a 6.4 and that flame is thanks to the EPA.