PDA

View Full Version : how many/much race mods should I do??

WISH1965
12-17-2008, 11:59 AM
I am planning on racing at Atco MX in NJ this Spring with my 9 year old son in the CVT Prod 70 & 90cc classes and my inquiry is this: He has ridden his DRR DRX 90 "limited" version quad for one season at MX tracks and ridden 2 years on another machine prior to that. My question is how much motor mods should I do in the first year of racing. Should I have porting done to the "stock" cylinder & head, tune the clutch a little more, maybe the DRR pipe, maybe change carbs or do I go ahead and get an aftermarket cylinder & head, pipe, full clutch prep, electrics etc.?? The machines will be stock length Elkas (full tuneability) so we have a good degree of tuning the chassis.

My thought is to do some small things initially, see if he likes the racing, and let him grow into the speed until such time he needs "more speed"? Or do I spend the addt. $$ right out of the box?? One more consideration, I understand racing and the inherent costs associated with it and am willing to spend some, but I do have a budget in mind to some degree. IOW, need to spend the $$ most wisely considering it is year one in the racing scene. Any help is much appreciated.

hotquads1
12-17-2008, 04:56 PM
need for speed, is your driver ready? ( only you can make that call ) here is my experience , too much speed is never enough ! in other words if you start making mods , go ahead and do the best and do it once. Porting your stock stuff cost as much as buying a high-end race cyl kit, if you port it this year and replace it next year with better stuff your spending alot more money. I suggest matching cylinder ,pipe and clutch mods so that they will compliment each other , that is much easier to do if you do at one time. Now the question is does he need more speed / is he riding the current power to its limit ? and hungry for more?(if not dont spend a dime ) I am sure others will have various opinions also. good luck.
marc

JIM GRACE
12-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Seat time is key before major mods. suspension is a must and
atco is like a supercross track with lots of jumps.:D

the 90 class has the most turnout at atco, so do the normal clutch
tweeks, a good carb, and the right gearing and go from the there.
There is alot of fast kids in that class, so after a couple of races
you will know where to improve next..

p.s I think I spoke to you guy's at the last race. :)

e-town is going to have a youth series also..

WISH1965
12-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Hey Jim,

Yes it was us whom you spoke with....still warming up, LOL!!

The issue i think is to what level I need to do mods. I'm a believer in suspension first. As for power, i'm not adverse to it, I'm just trying to determine if it would be most prudent to do minimal mods at first, see where he is, and most importantly get him some seat time. Obviously in year one, my $$ outlay will be highest since i would need to do some mods to the 90cc we have now and then a purchase of a 70cc quad of which i would probably have to mod it to some level, then maybe year two is when i spend for addt. motor needs?? HQ1 makes a good point, do I spend $$ on P & P stk cylinder & head only to turnaround and spend more the following winter on aftermkt cylinder & head?? Or do I suck it up in year one? i'm confident my son will stick with it, just trying to get a feel on some people's opinions who have been doing this stuff a little while. Right now I'm certainly getting educated and need to, because as a CPA, my time will soon dwindle in a few weeks :( Wade

JIM GRACE
12-18-2008, 02:01 PM
If he rides the quad wide open and needs more then invest like marc said with a quality cyl, pipe, carb.. But if he is on and off the gas all the time let him get comfortable with the bike and the track
before you get crazy w/ power..

pm me anytime..

don bassani
12-19-2008, 08:16 PM
If your son is on the pipe all the time-give him more motor-if not take your time or should i say take his time till he is ready.good luck

Rcarroll
12-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Wish1965
sent you a PM