PDA

View Full Version : Shut off switch/startup

yellowdemon
12-17-2008, 10:04 AM
I have a 2002 400ex and had not started the bike in over a year until recently. Like a jerk I tried to start it with the fuel in it and no good. After i realized it I dumped out the old gas and put in new. I tried to start it again and it starts but will not stay running for more then a few seconds. Also when I try to give it some gas to keep it running it conks out. Any ideas????? on how to get it back to good running condition that it was before letting it sit. Also I noticed that the bike will still crank with the swith on the handle bars in the 2 off positions. Any ideas on what is causing this.
Thanks

Pipeless416
12-17-2008, 10:20 AM
you probably just need to clean your carb out with carb cleaner or compressed air, and change the oil. the switch.. not sure.

miller821
12-17-2008, 11:40 AM
The switch will allow the engine to crank no matter what position it is in.... It just won't fire when it's in the off position.

Pipeless416
12-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by ride hard man
The switch will allow the engine to crank no matter what position it is in.... It just won't fire when it's in the off position.

oh, duh lol. guess i need to learn to read. :p

rob_990
12-17-2008, 12:48 PM
check your plug and clean your carb

yellowdemon
12-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks for all the quick responses guys, any others are welcome

tri5ron
12-17-2008, 03:03 PM
might be a good idea to drain the fuel tank one more time to get rid of any residual varnished fuel, and also make sure you dont have a varnished up petcock.

Pull the fuel line off the carb, and let the tank of new fuel run through to rinse out the petcock, and fuel line.

do this along with the above suggestion to flush out the carb, change the sparkplug, and you should be good to go.

Ride safe...