PDA

View Full Version : yet another tire ?

tx07400ex
12-16-2008, 05:52 PM
I have read all the threads on here i can find about the best tires none of them really helped me much all i saw was people bickering about their favorite brand. I want to know how some of them handle. I ride trails and occaisonally drag but nothing serious. I will never race for anything other than the fun of it. I ride mostly in red clay, gumbo mud, and shallow sand 2-6 inches but the sand is rare. I have ridden a friends 400 w/ razrs they were horrible i went around a curve in 2-3 in. sand and it would not hold traction. My 400 on stock tires made the same curve faster like it was on a rail. Im mostly looking at ITP gncc, hd, or mud lite sp but am open to suggestions, however i will never own a set of razrs they are totally wrong for my riding style. If it matters i am very light 140 lbs.

CJM
12-16-2008, 06:04 PM
I ride on sand trails alot, I use carlise turf tamers in the rear and dunlops up front. I have no issues with grabbing at all, infact it handles well.

brandonscott11
12-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Hi There,

I used to have a set of ITP Trac Stars on my old quad, and they are so nice. I have also used the razors, and they got me around but they weren't anywhere as close to handling as nice as the Trac Stars. I would highly reccomend that you try out a set of them. Right now I have a cheap set of Kenda Dominators, and they are much better then I thought they'd be for the price.

Anyways,

Hope this sort of helps you.
Brandon

katch26
12-20-2008, 11:25 AM
yeah trac stars are really nice relatively light 6 ply radials with lugs pretty similiar to the standard ohtsu/dunlops

12-20-2008, 01:23 PM
for all around riding I like Razrs for the rear best but I havent found the perfect front tire yet. I run kingstire slasher up front and I like them they are better than the regular razr fronts but I still feel theres a way better tire out there, the ITP mx type tire seemed to make quick turns and had good handling but I havent tried it in all the conditions. Still havent tried Razr 2 fronts. Paddle tires will be rough if your riding in harder packed stuff.

katch26
12-20-2008, 01:33 PM
I also have the GNCC tires and like them alot too. I'm like you and dont like the heavy, squared (IMO) overly treaded razr line and in your situation with sticky clay and mud they will pack up pretty quickly. My only gripe with the gncc is they run small so if you were replacing stock wheels you would need to go 22f/ 21r to get around the same height as stock.

However since putting the trac stars on the 400 I was very impressed with the ride. They are radial so they have an OEM feel but are still 6 ply tough.
http://i44.tinypic.com/vxaxg.jpg

Another option if you can find them is the maxxis razr pr which is what you see alot of the time on the polaris sport quads but I think its something specifically made for polaris.

Have you looked at the Dunlop tires? They have one identical to the Ohtsu tires and even came stock on some of the 450r's.
http://i39.tinypic.com/20tjrpf.jpghttp://i40.tinypic.com/35k73it.jpg

Gibson
12-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by katch26
[B] My only gripe with the gncc is they run small so if you were replacing stock wheels you would need to go 22f/ 21r to get around the same height as stock.

i have a Set of gncc's and i think the fronts are oversized, my 22 inch fronts are 1" taller than regular 22's

BlaineKaiser450
12-21-2008, 11:12 PM
ITP tires are better gripping tires. Hands down. (other than yellow label razr mxs) but they wear WAY to fast for my 14 year olds salary. I like maxxis orange labels for practice and yellow label razr mx tires for races